PDA

View Full Version : Question to Iaido teachers...

Jean Binck
15th April 2004, 23:11
I'll make it short...
I am 50 years old, and no experince with martial arts. I would really like to start learning Iaido.
I have a particular problem: 20 years ago I had surgery to replace my left knee's anterior cruciate ligament, a part of the meniscus was removed as well. With the years osteoarthritis went inside the knee. All this means that all techniques starting from kneeling position (seiza?) would be difficult to me.

Now my question: if I would ask you, sensei, to follow your teaching, what would be your answer and advise?
Welcome...or..welcome, but.....or...Not realistic?

Thank you very much for your inputs.

Best regards,
Jean (John!)

dan keup
15th April 2004, 23:28
You could try Toyama ryu. I believe that it is all standing kata, kumitachi, and test cutting for the most part, might be easier on the knees.

JAnstey
16th April 2004, 03:49
Hi Jean,

We have a few students with serious knee problems such as yours, there is even a chap with only one leg. We modify techniques that begin in seiza to begin standing. Basically the first 4 seitei gata techniques that begin from seiza can be done standing. We will always try to work around someones disability and this is taken into consideration when gradings are done. I would also suggest that you consider Jodo as well as Iai - they go very well together and Jo is much kinder on the knees.

I also believe that there is a book on iai for people with disabilities available from SDK supplies in Canada.

Good luck with your budo

Jason

Jean Binck
16th April 2004, 07:36
Dan & Jason:

Many thanks for your answer and advises.

Best,
Jean

DYUSAN
16th April 2004, 13:27
Jean; my iaido instructors will let me do the seite kata as well as the koryu versions standing when my knees hurt(osteo). When my knees don't hurt I kneel. But they are willing to work with me. Ask the instructor if he will allow this.

Jean Binck
17th April 2004, 10:35
Thank you Gary.
I shall contact some Dojo in my area.

Best,
Jean

FastEd
17th April 2004, 14:09
Originally posted by JAnstey
Hi Jean,

We have a few students with serious knee problems such as yours, there is even a chap with only one leg. We modify techniques that begin in seiza to begin standing. Basically the first 4 seitei gata techniques that begin from seiza can be done standing. We will always try to work around someones disability and this is taken into consideration when gradings are done. I would also suggest that you consider Jodo as well as Iai - they go very well together and Jo is much kinder on the knees.

Jason

Hi Jason,

I'm curious, does your chap with one leg practice with a prosthetic or without?

JAnstey
19th April 2004, 11:33
Hi Ed,

Sorry for the late reply, Just back from a seminar and grading in Japan. Yes the guy does practice with a prosthetic leg. I believe that in the times of unrest and civil war in Japan there would have been a large percentage of good swordsman that would have received injuries that they would have had to work around rather than retire and sit around drinking sake - then again!???

cheers

Jason

Jean Binck
20th April 2004, 20:11
Hi all,

A message to tell you that I went yesterday to the Dojo and was welcome by the Sensei to study Iaido. No matter the knee, we'll deal with it!

Thank you very much for your advises which were strong encouragements for me.:)

Best regards,
Jean

JAnstey
21st April 2004, 01:54
Hi Jean,

Thats excellent news! Below is a link to some published material on iai for students with disabilities. Good luck with your training.

Cheers

Jason

http://www.sdksupplies.com/cat_video.htm

VIDBBI-9 Iaido for Everyone
ZNKR iaido for students with disabilities. This video features Kim Taylor and Ed Chart explaining the modifications that can be made to iaido practice in order to accomodate students with disabilities, limited mobility or range of movement.