PDA

View Full Version : Kamiyama, How do you....

IKE
17th April 2004, 19:55
....excercise and condition your neck? I have seen pics of you with a leather skull cap with a wieight hanging off. Did you make or buy this contraption? If bought ...where?

thank you, I hope I dont have to challenge your words and thoughts to get a response.:D

Bryant Gmfry
18th April 2004, 01:32
You can buy these at sporting goods stores because they are used in footbal.
Thom Humphreys

IKE
18th April 2004, 02:26
Thanks for the reply Thom. I have been trying the last couple of days to find this on the net to no avail. Anybody got a link?.....

Jim_Jude
18th April 2004, 20:55
http://www.ironmind.com/

A good resource for strength training literature, equip., etc.

IKE
18th April 2004, 21:54
Holy crap! that website rules. Thank you Jim.
Im not complaining but 70$ is a Lot for a headstrap I think. Do you know where I can get one cheaper?

Wounded Ronin
19th April 2004, 00:03
Maybe fashion one yourself.

IKE
19th April 2004, 01:03
I've definitely thought about it. The picture on the website is not very helpfull. I guess I dont fully understand how the work.
I assume that its just a headband or cap with a chinstrap, and another strap for the rear base of the skull, and a cord or loop attached, I would guess, to the top center of the head.....?

Jim_Jude
19th April 2004, 03:34
Originally posted by IKE
Holy crap! that website rules. Thank you Jim.
Im not complaining but 70$ is a Lot for a headstrap I think. Do you know where I can get one cheaper?

Rickson Gracie does bridging & strap work, putting a rubber strap/band around his head & pulls against that, & he's got a neck like a bulldog. You ought to check that out. I've heard people using flex-bands like those used in Pilates & Stott...

http://www.bizatomic.com/clients/stretchwell/catalog.php?action=110&cat_id=3

If you don't wanna buy a whole roll, just call some physical therapists or Pilates studios in the area & they might have some band that you could buy.

Kamiyama
19th April 2004, 07:02
IKE,
I mainly do circles with my head to create a good feel and balance with the neck... and do chicken head type motions..

Yes, also I use the neck strap with very light weights..
I find it to work very well.

As posted you can find this in any weight lifting store.

I do not do bridges.. I'm not a wrestler. I do not wish to have that mind set while on the ground fighting for my life.
I mainly do head circles for better movement during boxing and heading the ball while playing football.

I hope this helps..

yes, get cheap ones from boxing catalogs..

kamiyama, ralph severe

IKE
19th April 2004, 18:26
Thank you Ralph!
Why dont you do bridges? I dont really see how doing bridging motions would effect a 'survival' or 'self defense' mindset. Certainly you feel bridging is an important concept for real life ground combat....? Have you found bridging as an exercise to be flawed?

Kamiyama
19th April 2004, 18:49
Why dont you do bridges?

IKE, I don't feel it is important to that point is to work towards that kind of strength as in 'bridges'.

Certainly you feel bridging is an important concept for real life ground combat....?

IKE, It depends on what we are calling a 'bridge'.
I feel hip movement is very important..
But not to a point of coming up so far... and not on the head.. or weight on the neck as I've seen many doing in a bridge..

Have you found bridging as an exercise to be flawed?

IKE, no, not at all.
But there is a lot more that can be done in regards to that type of movement other than bridges.. if we are talking about the same type of high bridges..

kamiyama, ralph severe

Oni
19th April 2004, 18:53
I believe Ralph is talking about this sort of 'bridging':

Kamiyama
19th April 2004, 19:03
yes sir you are correct.

kamiyama, ralph severe

Jim_Jude
19th April 2004, 21:34
Originally posted by Oni
I believe Ralph is talking about this sort of 'bridging':

There are many types of bridges. Some with the head on the floor, some w/o. Some with your nose all the way to the mat, some with your hands supporting you such as in the pic ONI posted. Bridging works quite a few muscle groups. I say read up on it or play with it before you right it off. The catch wrestlers of old did this exercise & found benefit from it. Some people aren't able to just jump in & do the most advance bridging right away, so there are variations in the meantime.

PwarYuex
27th April 2004, 13:33
Sometimes I think that people spend too much time doing relatively unimportant things when general fittness could be done, such as jogging.

Oni
27th April 2004, 15:15
Originally posted by PwarYuex
Sometimes I think that people spend too much time doing relatively unimportant things when general fittness could be done, such as jogging.

Heh...I know SO many people with bad knees (as in having to have had surgery) due to jogging ;)

Kamiyama
27th April 2004, 18:22
When I was very young, 14 to 24 I did a great deal of running to train for the level of football I played... but with the ego of wanting to be better at footbal gone.. I just run once a week....

Running is great.

But the guys I know who run are mainly very tight in the hips.. and do have hip and knee problems..

kamiyama, ralph severe

Lee Mc'pherson
27th April 2004, 22:22
Swimming in my opinion is absolutly the best excersice a good work out and residual damage to the body.

PwarYuex
28th April 2004, 01:02
Jogging was just an example. For me, it's the fastest way to get my heart rate up...

I swim a tonne, and to be honest I prefer to have good general fitness than have a strong neck.

Jim_Jude
28th April 2004, 08:30
So... you're saying that you'd rather swim than spend a couple minutes a day strengthening your neck to protect against head strikes/chokes? That's like saying running is better than makiwara training. Seems to be two completely different things.
We're not talking about neck strengthening for general fitness... :rolleyes:

PwarYuex
28th April 2004, 08:59
I never said you were-
I mearly noticed that a lot of time is spent on this aspect.

And yes, I would prefer spending a lot of time working on general fitness and be healthy/confident than be... well fat and have a strong neck.

Oni
28th April 2004, 14:23
Rob,

Your comments are pushing the line of E-Budo policy.

Treat your fellow E-Budo members with respect.

This is a warning.

Jim_Jude
30th April 2004, 03:42
Originally posted by Jim_Jude
Rickson Gracie does bridging & strap work, putting a rubber strap/band around his head & pulls against that, & he's got a neck like a bulldog. You ought to check that out. I've heard people using flex-bands like those used in Pilates & Stott...

http://www.bizatomic.com/clients/stretchwell/catalog.php?action=110&cat_id=3

If you don't wanna buy a whole roll, just call some physical therapists or Pilates studios in the area & they might have some band that you could buy.

Here is another Flex Band source I tripped over while looking at a knife/combatives website...

http://www.jumpstretch.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=jumpstretch&Category_Code=10