PDA

View Full Version : Tonfa <wooden cudgel>

Doug Daulton
24th October 2000, 16:24
An open thread dedicated to general questions regarding the tonfa or wooden cudgel as used in Okinawan weapons traditions

kusanku
25th October 2000, 08:41
Tonfa or tuifa were weapons, also Mill Handles.

What better way to conceal weapons than in plain sight?

Jason Chambers
25th October 2000, 20:48
I have heard the tonfa referred to as TUIFA in Isshin Ryu Karate. Is this correct?

Doug Daulton
25th October 2000, 20:57
Originally posted by Kokujin
I have heard the tonfa referred to as TUIFA in Isshin Ryu Karate. Is this correct?

You are correct.

Tonfa are known by a wide variety of names ... among them is Tuifa ... also Tsuifa, Tonfwa, Tunfa and others.

the Khazar Kid
4th November 2000, 02:16
I have heard the tonfa in Kuntao or Chinese martial arts called "guai", which is translated as "crutch".

Jesse Peters

Hank Irwin
6th November 2000, 16:28
Originally posted by the Khazar Kid
I have heard the tonfa in Kuntao or Chinese martial arts called "guai", which is translated as "crutch".

Jesse Peters

The Dharuma Cane from China is the Father of Tuifa. I have two photos on my site of Dharuma Canes.

Sensei Irwin

hakutsuru
5th December 2000, 22:23
Irwin-Sama,

Hi, How are you? I checked your site to look for the Dharuma Canes. Where can I find them?

Tommy Lane

PS. I'll be down your way in a couple weeks visiting some friends.

Joe Swift
25th December 2000, 03:21
Hi all,

There is one other possibility for the origins of the tuifa, and that is a weapom found in Thailand.

I first ran across this theory when reading Miyagi Tokumasa's "Karate no Rekishi" (1987). Then Hokama Tetsuhiro showed me a pair of Thai-style Tuifa at his museum in Okinawa,

The Thai tuifa has two handles, and a string at the long end of the tuifa. This cord secures it at the elbow while the other handle offers protection to the fingers against strikes from other weapons.

This means that it cannot be spun or manipulated in complex patterns like its Okinawan counterpart, but makes for a very effective tool for delivering blunt impact <ouch!>

Anyway, just some more info to do with what you will...

Hank Irwin
25th December 2000, 03:52
Originally posted by Joe Swift
Hi all,

There is one other possibility for the origins of the tuifa, and that is a weapom found in Thailand.

I first ran across this theory when reading Miyagi Tokumasa's "Karate no Rekishi" (1987). Then Hokama Tetsuhiro showed me a pair of Thai-style Tuifa at his museum in Okinawa,

The Thai tuifa has two handles, and a string at the long end of the tuifa. This cord secures it at the elbow while the other handle offers protection to the fingers against strikes from other weapons.

This means that it cannot be spun or manipulated in complex patterns like its Okinawan counterpart, but makes for a very effective tool for delivering blunt impact <ouch!>

Anyway, just some more info to do with what you will...
Hello Joe! Sensei Osborne said to say "hello" talked to him this evening. I have a video of Hokama Sensei doing Tuifa kata with that very same weapon. Impressive to say the least. It comes from Thailand? Fascinating weapon! Some of the other weapons he displays are quite unique and deadly. I especially liked the sanchakus! I've seen and made different types of sanchakus before but not like these. You could carry them in your top pocket. Joe, do you have this video? It's definetly worth getting!

Joe Swift
25th December 2000, 08:32
Originally posted by Hank Irwin
Hello Joe! Sensei Osborne said to say "hello" talked to him this evening. I have a video of Hokama Sensei doing Tuifa kata with that very same weapon. Impressive to say the least. It comes from Thailand? Fascinating weapon! Some of the other weapons he displays are quite unique and deadly. I especially liked the sanchakus! I've seen and made different types of sanchakus before but not like these. You could carry them in your top pocket. Joe, do you have this video? It's definetly worth getting!

Hi Hank Sensei,

Please give my regards also to Osborne Sensei, on this Holiday Season.

Yes, I have the Hokama video series that he put out in Japan several years ago. I agree that they are worth getting, and I also think that they are available in English now too, somewhere.

The Thai Tuifa that Hokama Sensei uses are sharpened on both ends,,, don't want to get punched with them!

I'll try and scan in a couple of pics of the Thai version for the forum tomorrow (my time)... they should be up and ready for you guys in the States by Christmas Night, or early on the 26th...

I agree that <i>sansetsu-kon</i> (3-section <i>nunchaku</i>) version is very unique, and I have never seen it before. I would <b>not</b> want to get whacked with them things going full swing!

Thanks.

Bob McMahon
25th December 2000, 20:40
Hey Doug,

Have you heard of these kata?
Ishimine no Tonfa and no Sai?
Tokkimoto no Kon and no Sai?

Can anyone supply any information on these?

Regards,
Bob McMahon

Doug Daulton
28th December 2000, 07:12
Originally posted by Bob McMahon ... Have you heard of these kata?
Ishimine no Tonfa and no Sai?
Tokkimoto no Kon and no Sai?

Can anyone supply any information on these?

Bob,

Ishimine no Tonfa/Sai rings a vague bell, but Tokimoto no Kon/Sai draws a complete blank. To my knowledge, neither is part of the Taira-->Akamine line. Perhaps they are part of the Taira-->Inoue, Taira-->Minowa or Matayoshi lines.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.