PDA

View Full Version : Fukuoka - Tokyo

jimmyB
26th April 2004, 17:08
I've heard of different styles of jodo.

I would assume this has to do with the certain instructors own vision of what it should be.

Are there any differences of styles, and if so what are they?

thanks

A. Bakken
26th April 2004, 22:32
The styles of jodo that are most widely practised, are:

1. Shindo Muso Ryu
2. Seitei/ZNKR Jodo (forms taken from SMR)
3. "Aiki-jo" (part of the Aikido weapon syllabus)

SMR is a koryu (old school), whereas the other two are modern derivations. I don't know much about Aiki-jo, but it's my impression that it was indeed shaped by Morihei Ueshiba's vision...

R A Sosnowski
26th April 2004, 22:46
Originally posted by jimmyB
I've heard of different styles of jodo.

I would assume this has to do with the certain instructors own vision of what it should be.

Are there any differences of styles, and if so what are they?

thanks

For SMR Jodo there are two broad categories commonly referred to as Southern or Fukuoka , and Northern or Tokyo.

Southern stylists refer to themselves as the original style, and there is some truth to that.

Within that framework various teachers are associated.

Describing the differences is like trying to describe the differences between MSR and MJER Iaido. They are cousins, and they share more similarieies than differences.

Seitei Jo was extracted from the Kata of the Northern style.

And, Aiki-jo, ..., is something entirely different, with a different set of sources.

HTH.

jimmyB
27th April 2004, 15:34
Are the Kata of the Northern style and Southern style different?

If it was passed down, how did it get changed, and what are the differences?

Also, who is/was representative of which style?

thanks for all the info so far! I tried to do searches for the info, but can't find specifics.

R A Sosnowski
27th April 2004, 16:31
Originally posted by jimmyB
Are the Kata of the Northern style and Southern style different?
Same Kata done slightly differently. A stylist from one group would recognize all the Kata done by exponents of the other group, not unlike MSR and MJER Iaido.

If it was passed down, how did it get changed, and what are the differences?
The so-called split is generally attributed to the late Shimizu-s. (1896-1978), who relocated to Tokyo in 1927. Takayama Kiroku and Otofuji Ichizo continued teaching in Fukuoka.

Changes that Shimizu-s. made are usually attributed to his work with the Tokyo police before, during and after WWII, and with the Japanese occupation forces in Manchuria before WWII.

Also, who is/was representative of which style?
Kaminoda Tsunemori is clearly a protoge of the late Shimizu-s. There is a Joko-s. from Kyushu who has a strong association with the late Otofuji-s.

People like Matsui-s. and the late Nishioka-s. seem to have studied with both the late Shimizu-s. and the late Otofuji-s. From the little that I have seen of them in video, their styles of Jo express both Northern and Southern elements, a kind of hybridization.

thanks for all the info so far! I tried to do searches for the info, but can't find specifics.
Well, that's because almost everything available is in the old-fashion print media consisting of a few books and a few published articles.

jimmyB
27th April 2004, 21:17
Thanks for all of the info!!!

Guy LeSieur
27th April 2004, 22:26
Originally posted by R A Sosnowski

People like Matsui-s. and the late Nishioka-s. seem to have studied with both the late Shimizu-s. and the late Otofuji-s. From the little that I have seen of them in video, their styles of Jo express both Northern and Southern elements, a kind of hybridization.

M. Sosnowski,

With all due respect let me correct your statement to the fact that Nishioka sensei is no longer with us. He is alive and well and still teaching in Tokyo.

Best regards,

Diane Skoss
28th April 2004, 02:06
Thanks, Guy!

I can't imagine how I managed to miss that one! Guy is right; we both trained with Nishioka Sensei last August. He's very much still alive and sticking (as opposed to kicking)!

Cheers!

Diane

R A Sosnowski
28th April 2004, 05:32
Guy,

Originally posted by Guy LeSieur
M. Sosnowski,

With all due respect let me correct your statement to the fact that Nishioka sensei is no longer with us. He is alive and well and still teaching in Tokyo.

Best regards,

My apologies.

It looks like a case of my brain running much, much faster than my fingers can respond. :D