PDA

View Full Version : muay thai

seskoad
3rd May 2004, 15:04
I just watch thailand movie called ong bak. It's about the muay thai fighter fights for the stolen budha statue from his village. Kinda interested with seeing the technique. But mostly he use elbow and knee. It's more acrobatic. What you guys reckon as karateka?Do u reckon it's usefull to learn their technique as additional art?

Bob van Tuyn
3rd May 2004, 15:17
I think there’s nothing wrong about integrating new technique’s in you’re art (in my case kyokushin). In kyokushin there are already a few thai technique’s integrated. Mas. Oyama selected effective techniques from different art’s to create his style. So I say, if you think a technique is a good addition to you’re art or personal style use it. That way MA’s keep on evolving and don’t get stuck in stiff minded Ideas about what technique’s belong to the art and what technique’s doesn’t.

tamashi
3rd May 2004, 16:17
Originally posted by seskoad
I just watch thailand movie called ong bak. It's about the muay thai fighter fights for the stolen budha statue from his village. Kinda interested with seeing the technique. But mostly he use elbow and knee. It's more acrobatic. What you guys reckon as karateka?Do u reckon it's usefull to learn their technique as additional art?

i do not usually think of Thai technique as
"acrobatic" and would guess they made it
more dramatic looking for the movie.

Muay Thai techneques are usually very effective.

hectokan
3rd May 2004, 16:25
NO WAY,

That's taboo,I think you should never integrate any technique into any pure art.This tarnishes the whole belief system of greatness within ones original art.It can even shatter the confidence in the arts worth and create bad karma for the past spirits of traditional karate.Next time you see,hear or even experience an effective technique from outside your own style...I suggest you turn around and look the other way,don't investigate a damm thing.

This way your style will always remain pure,supreme and oblivious.....oooops,I messed up here in the end.

lol

CEB
3rd May 2004, 16:46
Originally posted by hectokan
NO WAY,

That's taboo,I think you should never integrate any technique into any pure art.This tarnishes the whole belief system of greatness within ones original art.It can even shatter the confidence in the arts worth and create bad karma for the past spirits of traditional karate.Next time you see,hear or even experience an effective technique from outside your own style...I suggest you turn around and look the other way,don't investigate a damm thing.

This way your style will always remain pure,supreme and oblivious.....oooops,I messed up here in the end.

lol

WRONG!!!

What you must do is approach your kata practice with great imagination and creativity. In this way can you see that these effective techniques are hidden oyo of the style. Only in this way does your belief system remains in tact as you claim that these effective techniques were in you karate along. :laugh:

Richard Horrowi
3rd May 2004, 18:42
There was a documentary about one of the greatest Muay Thai fighters having a sex change and becoming a woman?? Anyone ever here of it? Hector you prodding us Karateka?

RH

hectokan
3rd May 2004, 20:10
Ed writes:
What you must do is approach your kata practice with great imagination and creativity. In this way can you see that these effective techniques are hidden oyo of the style. Only in this way does your belief system remains in tact as you claim that these effective techniques were in you karate along.

Hector writes:

Why Imagine it?why not just do it so you don't have to leave anything up to imagination? creativity in imagination is a great thing but it will only take you so far.Building Muscle memory from training the actual technique in question on the other hand is just as important if not more so.Ofcourse this might considered taboo in the church so you better leave it alone.LOL

Hector you prodding us Karateka?

Richard,I am just having fun and trying to push some buttons.you should know me by now.

Martin H
3rd May 2004, 22:58
Originally posted by Richard Horrowi
There was a documentary about one of the greatest Muay Thai fighters having a sex change and becoming a woman?? Anyone ever here of it?

Yeah, it is quite well known. It is called beautiful fighter, or beautiful warrior. It is not realy a documentary, but a movie based on a true story about a MT champion, and it is supposed to be worth watching, despite the gender bender. The fighting is supposed to be very good.

Regarding introducing MT techniques into karate. I dont think it realy is neccecary. Everything in MT already exists in karate, although the thais has much more experience making some of it (such as knees, elbows and lowkicks) work than most karate styles has. But they dont have anything that is not already present in karate.
But it can give a interesting new perspective.

BTW Ong Bak is a cool movie, even though it more resemble a oldtime karate movie than anything especialy MuaiThai related.

n2shotokai
4th May 2004, 01:00
Originally posted by hectokan
NO WAY,

lol MEDIC .... MEDIC somebody get some help for Hector! Oh this is bad, real bad. I hope he will be alright!:eek:

Goju Man
4th May 2004, 01:27
Originally posted by n2shotokai
MEDIC .... MEDIC somebody get some help for Hector! Oh this is bad, real bad. I hope he will be alright!:eek:

I must have hit him harder than I thought.:eek:

Richard Horrowi
4th May 2004, 02:46
Originally posted by Goju Man
I must have hit him harder than I thought.:eek:

Sugi is that you?

RH

hectokan
4th May 2004, 03:25
Please don't hurt me man,Im sick man,Im sick.

n2shotokai
4th May 2004, 06:32
Yep I knew it was only a matter of time. Keep fooling around long enough with that full contact stuff and a brain injury is inevitable. Ohhhh the humanity! Why is it always the young pretty ones. Thelma? Thelma?

Bob van Tuyn
4th May 2004, 10:43
Beside the very good fighting technique’s of mai thai I think that most karateka’s can also take an example in their fighting spirit and their ability to take kicks and punches. In the Japanese arts the warrior code etc. is always praised, but the kicks and punches the thai boxer take will sent most karateka’s running for their mother.

In my opinion if you want to develop you’re MA skill you should know how it feels to practise it full contact, and few other people know how this feels beside Thai boxers. So if you don’t have a full contact karate style you should take a few lessons in thai boxing or another full contact sport. Just to grow as a martial artist.

I know (from reading other post) that not everybody recognises the benefits of full contact fighting but in my opinion it can be very clarifying and helpful.

Bustillo, A.
4th May 2004, 11:49
What you guys reckon as karateka?Do u reckon it's usefull to learn their technique as additional art?

If proven effective...only a close-minded fool wouldn't.

Rob Alvelais
4th May 2004, 14:31
Originally posted by Bob van Tuyn
Beside the very good fighting technique’s of mai thai

Is that where you take the little umbrella and jab your opponent in the eye or something? :laugh:

Rob

Bob van Tuyn
4th May 2004, 15:57
Yeb of course after you’ve coated the umbrella with some hot thai peppers, that would sure be a nasty feeling :D. If other people are thinking of drinks etc. because of my stupid spelling mistake it should say Muay Thai. But a few strong drinks can be just as devastating as some nasty Thai-boxer :smash: Espacially in the morning after a night out

tamashi
4th May 2004, 21:10

I guess if you re a karate student and have been training
any length of time, but do not know how to throw elbows or knees
that certainly would be a problem.