PDA

View Full Version : Differences in speech

meat
5th May 2004, 08:09
Hi guys, I'm doing an assignment on differences between male and female speech in Japanese, and surprisingly I'm having an absolute bitch of a time finding any information. So for those of you with experience, what are the differences, especially in regards to particles used at the ends of words/sentences?

Michael Bland
5th May 2004, 18:42
(caveat - all generalizations are based on my own experiences in Japan)

Obviously there are overall differences in speech rhythms and intonations etc which are difficult to capture qualitatively.

Overall I would say that male speech is much more rude/vulgar... but then males are in general in Japan.

More specifically:

Sentence ending particles
You will more often hear males use "zo" or "ze" at the end of a sentence. Examples:
With the verb "iku" (to go, vulgar/plain)

All of the following pretty much indicate that there will be "going" taking place by someone... but nuance is slightly different.

"iku zo" - like a ready or not, here we go.
"iku ze" - like a "going now.. and what are you gonna do about it"

I would more often hear women say things like

"ikimasu yo" - I/we're going!
"ikou ne" - let's go, ok?

Of course, it is possible for either gender to use either form. BUt in general I would see as above more commonly.

Another example would be "ne" versus "na"... both used as a particle often expecting confirmation from the listener.

"onaka suita ne!" - more female
"hara hetta na!" - more male

Again, it is possible for either gender to use either, but I would more commonly hear as above.

Use of I/you/them words etc.
This is another thing you may want to touch on.
Males more commonly will use "boku" or "ore" for "I/me". Females will more commonly use "watashi/atashi" for I/me. As with all of these, I have heard both genders use them... although in the case of "atashi" only gay men used that. That is decidedly female.

In the same notion, "omae" is more often used for "you" by males.
"anata" is more often used for "you" by females. Both sexes seem happy enough to use the rude version "anta" instead of "anata" when they are angry.

Well, there is some info to start you with. Let me know if you have any questions...

meat
6th May 2004, 03:12
Many thatnks Michael, that was a great help.
:smilejapa

EldritchKnight
6th May 2004, 03:17
Be careful with the use of "na". In most West Japanese dialects, it replaces "ne", and is used both by men and women equally. I would also like to add that there are plenty of terms that women will use which men do not. For example, while men might use "jibun" to refer to themselves, women will more likely use "uchi". Additionally, it is considered proper for women to speak in humbler speech than men, usually by using the polite speech (keigo) more often in everyday conversation, though this practice is dying.

Michael Bland
6th May 2004, 18:48
Good point - regional dialect screws it all up. enjoy your Japanese studies! *smile*