PDA

View Full Version : Kanai Mitsunari (Aikido)

Aikilove
29th March 2004, 12:05
I just read on aikidoujournal that Kanai Sensei just died. He was conducting a seminare in Toronto and was found Sunday morning in his room. Massive heart attack seems to be the cause.

My condolonces to Mitsunaris family, friends and students.

takemusu
29th March 2004, 16:47
A true lost to Aikido.

He will be remembered not only for his powerful techniques but also for his smile, which he always had on the mat.

Condolences to his loved ones and students.

He will be missed.

philipjsmith
30th March 2004, 08:57
A very sad loss. I have very fond memories of Kanai Sensei, both his technique and his kndness and compassion.

My condolences to his family, students and many friends throughout the Aikido world.

stanley neptune
30th March 2004, 14:31
Kanai sensei did pass on. The official announcement is on the New England Aikikai website. NE Aikikai had classes last evening.

I called last night to offer condolences. I did know him personally. I met him a couple of times and observed him teach.

Aikido has lost a true giant. He was instrumental in the careers of just about every significant aikidoka in New England. At one time or another it seems most Aikido senseis with full time schools in the New England states trained with Kanai sensei. His impact was tremendous and far reaching in our region and the country.

My sympathies to his family, friends and legion of loyal students.

Stanley Neptune

Ren Blade
31st March 2004, 18:21
I had just heard of the news from a friend of a friend that trained under Kanai Sensei. It was sudden and unexpected. I only met him once last month. It's a strange feeling to have met someone and then later hear they're gone. This is very sad news. Although I'm not a part of the Aikido world, it's just sad for me to hear of a great Martial Artist's passing regardless.

takemusu
1st April 2004, 21:05
anyone attending the memorial service tomorrow (Friday, April 2nd)?

szczepan
1st April 2004, 23:20
Me, I'm going with some friends.

nicojo
1st April 2004, 23:21
Hello,

I lived in Boston for three months one summer finishing up school, and I lived about three blocks away from Kanai-san's N.E. Aikikai. My sister was going to M.I.T. and I desperately wanted to continue martial arts but there was nothing around that fit my previous style. Having always been interested in Aikido's philosophy and movement, I went to Kanai sensei's place and saw him teaching Iaido. It was very beautiful and I wanted to watch some aikido (I was able to see a senior instructor teach, not Kanai sensei for that). I asked if I could learn Iaido from him and he shook his head hurridly...I would like to think he refused me on the basis of no experience with him or aikido, rather than him turning me down on more personal grounds, but who can tell? I was finishing college and was having a hard time in my life.

Because of his warmth, and even though he did not want me as an iaido student, I was so impressed with him as a perfect representative of his art. Of course he was human, but in the half hour I spent there, he showed me such a strong character. I couldn't afford NE Aikikai dues, so I started with the M.I.T. club under Dick Stroud, one of Kanai's students, and enjoyed it very much during the few months I lived there. I have always been impressed with aikido and those who practice it because of Kanai sensei and Stroud sensei, and their senior students who were very kind to me. Now that I'm doing Iaido, I appreciate certain elements that seem similar to me, and I would like to think that Kanai sensei would be happy I found my own path to what I do now, wherever it goes.

I hope that the members of NE Aikikai and M.I.T. club know that I remember them with a lot of gratitude and appreciation, that I am sorry for their loss, and that they were a wonderful introduction to Aikido and Iaido. Best wishes, this has really been quite sad to hear.

Legolas
2nd April 2004, 00:27
I'll be leaving early that morning to make the trip up. I'm a little embarrassed though, because my physical appearance leaves something to be desired (I haven't had the chance to get my hair cut).

Byron Curry

takemusu
2nd April 2004, 23:57
Does anyone know if the Spring Seminar in Montreal the end of April is still on or not? It's been removed from the Montreal website?

szczepan
3rd April 2004, 19:46
Originally posted by takemusu
Does anyone know if the Spring Seminar in Montreal the end of April is still on or not? It's been removed from the Montreal website?
Yes, seminar is still on, but some details are under discussion now.

takemusu
5th April 2004, 19:45
Legolas/szczepan,

How was the memorial service on Friday? Were there many people (which I can imagine YES) in attendance? How was everyone holding up (meaning NE Aikikai students and of course Mrs. Kanai)?

Just hope that everything went as planned and again my condolences to his loved ones and students.

Legolas
6th April 2004, 01:42
Originally posted by takemusu
Legolas/szczepan,

How was the memorial service on Friday? Were there many people (which I can imagine YES) in attendance? How was everyone holding up (meaning NE Aikikai students and of course Mrs. Kanai)?

Just hope that everything went as planned and again my condolences to his loved ones and students.

I imagine it was sad for everyone there. As far as attendence I thought it was packed. The pews were filled, the balcony was packed and some people even stood underneath the balcony, in the back.

I won't go into how everyone was holding up because I feel uncomfortable doing so. I will say that Chiba sensei shared some memories and performed a very interesting ceremony.

There were several pictures of Kanai sensei at various stages throughout his Aikido and personal life. Some of his journals were on display as well as his artwork. I didn't know he was an artist.
There was also a reading of his manuscript that was to be accompanied by his video, Technical Aikido.

Kanai sensei's death is such a loss to the Aikido world. I can only imagine how my practice would have improved if I had been able to learn from him.

Byron Curry

szczepan
6th April 2004, 03:53
I will add, that it was sad, but very beautiful ceremony, filled with a lot of good, sincere and deep emotions. There were 3 Japanese shihans from USAF (Yamada, Chiba and Kurita sensei) and a shihan (I think Masuda sensei)representing Doshu from Hombu dojo aikikai.

Many high-ranking students of other shihans came also. Somebody (sorry, forgot the names) played beautiful music on flute and piano.

Kanai sensei and the work of his life will never be forgotten.

takemusu
6th April 2004, 14:47
thank you both!

Cady Goldfield
5th May 2004, 13:45
My condolences to the family, friends and students of Mr. Kanai and to members of the Aikikai. Mr. Kanai has been a member of the Boston area martial arts community for decades, and when one of these established members passes, it sends a ripple through the the whole community, even among those individuals who are not involved in aikido.

Here is the obituary that was published in today's <i>Boston Globe</i>. The print edition included a photograph of Kanai, but the online version didn't.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/obituaries/articles/2004/05/05/mitsunari_kanai_64_leading_teacher_of_aikido_martial_art/