PDA

View Full Version : rope nunchaku

jezah81
10th May 2004, 03:57
Hi Guys,
I just recently bought nunchaku from a Goju Karate sensei here in Australia. It cost me $120 AUD. Its beautiful hardwood with rope connection. I just wanted to know what i can use to reduce the friction between the rope and the edge of the nunchaku handle? I thought maybe vaseline (petroleum jelly)..... any ideas? I tried candle wax but that keeps flaking off after every swing.
Kind Regards,

tallpaul50
27th July 2004, 12:54
I don't know what the exchange rate for Aussie money is compared to American (perhaps you can help me there?), but that sounds VERY over priced to me.

As to your question, there shouldn't be an overly excessive amount of wear on the rope and they should last you for years. I've had rope nunchauku that I bought over 20 years ago, and the rope's holding up just fine. If you see that your's is wearing, look for burs, cracks or something that is rubbing the cord and shouldn't be there.

Hank Irwin
1st August 2004, 16:48
I sometimes put a brass or copper sleave in the top of the chakus, this will make chaku last a long, long time. Not to mention, use parachute cord for your chaku. Make sure their are 4 strands going through it. They will last a long time. Also, when you have too much cord between chaku, this will shorten the lifespan of the cord, not to mention not being able to do proper grabs and restraints also.:D

Loukopoulos
26th September 2004, 19:49
About once every three months, we use lintze (not certain of correct spelling) oil on a cloth to polish all of the wood implements and the wooden floors. Once the floor and weapons are wiped with the oil, we continue to polish them with soft dry cloth until the excess oil is removed. I haven't seen any other way to polish weapons and floors in order to guarantee longevity.

CEB
26th September 2004, 21:40
Linseed oil. You may want to cut it with turpuntine. About a 50/50 mix.

CEB
26th September 2004, 21:55
A heavy mix can be good too depends on what you are doing and what you are working with. If nothing else it will dry a lot quicker cut with some sort of spirits.

Steven Malanosk
27th September 2004, 08:26
Hello,

I am surprised that the most plebian of nunchaku maintainance has not yet been addressed here, ie, take some sand paper, and smooth out the semi sharp inner edge of the opening on the top of the sticks that the cord prodrudes from.

End of problema..................

Loukopoulos
27th September 2004, 15:48
Steven,
You're a genious!!!

Steven Malanosk
28th September 2004, 04:49
:kiss: I'll bet you say that to all the geniouses...........

Lee Marsh
28th September 2004, 10:42
I'll bet you need to learn to spell "genius.":D

Loukopoulos
28th September 2004, 19:22
Hey you guys,
For the first time in my professional career I am without a dictionairy...(please don't say that there is 'spell check' built in On Line... so, if you want to boost a fellow martial artist's morale, you can send me a good old fashion hard cover Webster Dictionairy. I promise to use it...

Katherine Loukopoulos - HR
Kellog Brown and Root
APO AE 09354 (Bagram AF)
USA

Other morale boosting items acceptable are rare books, old photos of famous teachers, anectodes and Zen Coans; I think I am ready for the Zen Coans. Please do not send Hakama as it would make walking on piles of rocks difficult, no karate gi as white turns brown in a matter of thirty minutes, and definitely do not send swords, knives or throwing stars as all will be confiscated. Unfortunately, chocolate melts also. It will be useless to send me such girly things as bubble bath soap to soak in a tub after wearing a fashionable blue color vest that weighs 40 pounds and not to forget my very fashionable black hat that straps under my chin... no-no-no bubble baths but good quality face and body creams preferably medicated is much appreciated...

And if all this is not possible, just keep writing and entertaining me via the E-Budo Forum.