PDA

View Full Version : Other Q&A's

Charlie Kondek
17th May 2004, 18:42
Would anyone else be interested in doing a Q&A on their art? I've already started one with Chris Moses on Shinto ryu. Would anyone like to do their branch of iai?

Thinking out loud, I'd love to see Q&A's with Guy Power, Renfield Kuroda, Tim Hamilton and (of course) Hyaku. Nathan Scott would eb good, too, and Neil Gendzwil and myself (and others) could even do one on kendo. Any interest?

meat
18th May 2004, 03:09
I think I speak for most of the members of this board when i say YES!!!!!

Charlie Kondek
18th May 2004, 14:22
Well, I PM'd a few people asking them if they would participate in Q&A's. So hopefully we'll see some more!

Aozora
18th May 2004, 15:56
...as the academic world goes.

Seriously, you should think about compliling these and publishing them with something like EJMAS (http://www.ejmas.com), specifically, their iaido journal (http://www.ejmas.com/tin/tinframe.htm), or one of the martial art rags.

chrismoses
18th May 2004, 17:11
I nominate Charlie for the position of Honorary Moderator. :D

Charlie Kondek
18th May 2004, 17:20
Ulp! What have I gotten myself into?

Charlie Kondek
18th May 2004, 19:54
We have several of these going now. Thank you to those participating.

Let's remember to be respectful of our subjects, patient, and understanding in what we ask of them. (The recent thread on blocking with katana brought forth some very insightful thoughts on the nature of asking something of someone and demanding and answer.)

By no means must I be the only one encouraging Q&A's, but if you do decide to approach someone about one, I hope you will do so in a respectful manner. Obviously, some folks will just be too darn busy.

I myself should get back to work!

:D

Brett Charvat
19th May 2004, 05:43
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but it seemed worth a shot. I wonder if anyone out there could do a similar Q&A as the ones currently on this board for Hoki-ryu. I've been studying this particular ryu for about six months here in Kumamoto, and am full of questions. If there are any Hoki-ryu students out there that could answer them, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks in advance, and thanks to Charlie for a great thread idea.

Brett Charvat

Steve Delaney
19th May 2004, 06:22
Rennis Buchner in Akita is a long time student of Hoki ryu. I haven't heard from him in a long while, so he might be busy.

Hopefully if he sees this, he'll respond.

pgsmith
20th May 2004, 00:17
Hey Brett,
I thought I remembered Rennis doing a bit for EJMAS, so I looked it up. Sure enough, sometimes the memory works. Here's a link to the article he wrote several years ago on Hoki ryu ... http://ejmas.com/tin/tinart_buchner1_0200.htm

Hope that helps,

Chidokan
20th May 2004, 21:59
well done Charlie, good idea...:toast:
One of the things that came to me while I was reading them is that it might be a nice idea to get together for a general iaido 'bash'...not a world championship or anything like that, just a get together to look at the same, or even several styles, from different viewpoints.I wonder how many people would be up for it in MJER? Just get out and show how you do it, like say, I do mae, then you, then him, etc, etc. I reckon we could all learn something!:D

chrismoses
20th May 2004, 22:27
Well, I suppose more people could come to the anual enbukai in Vancouver next February. I've been a few times and it's always a treat. It would be great to get more schools represented. Bruce Campbell organizes it, I think it's generally the 2nd Sunday in February.

Additionally there's the anual Guelph sword week thingy, and the Toyama Ryu Taikai in Florida (August).

One of these years, I really am going to make it to Guelph and Fl...

Charlie Kondek
21st May 2004, 14:22
Ditto here on the Guelph!