PDA

View Full Version : Sword Style schools in North Carolina?

pgsmith
19th May 2004, 19:21
Greetings all,
I received an email from a very earnest sounding gentleman in his early forties. He was looking for Japanese Sword Arts in North Carolina, specifically in the Charlotte area but he indicated he would be willing to travel if needed. I know of no one in that area, so I was hoping that someone could give me some leads to send him.

Thanks folks,

Robinson
19th May 2004, 20:03
There is (or certainly was) an AUSKF kendo club in charlotte, who I believe did some ZNKR iaido as well

Kaoru
19th May 2004, 23:09
Hi Smith-sensei,

There is a lot in North Carolina.

Lots of Kendo. Go here for details:

http://www.kendo-usa.org/statedojolist.htm#NC

There are four dojos listed there. Charlotte's Kendo dojo on this page hadn't a website listed, so here it is:

http://home.earthlink.net/~tonymary/kendo.html

Oh, and there is one dojo not listed on either the AUSKF or the Kendo America site, although, they are a memeber of the AUSKF in the South East region.

Triangle Kendo and Iaido Club in Raleigh, NC

http://www.trianglekendoiaido.org/

------------------

And, there is MJER in North Carolina, too.

http://www.eishinkai.homestead.com/index.html

The one in NC is in Cullowhee(Since it also lists other dojos out of NC.), according to this page.

And, there is another MJER dojo in Greensboro, but for the life of me, I can't get the site to work for me, so I'll post it and you can see if you can get it to work. :)

Here:

Renshinkan Dojo
Eishin-Ryu Iaido in Greensboro, North Carolina

http://www.trimbledesign.com/iaido/

Well, that's what I found. I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

pgsmith
20th May 2004, 15:43
Thanks for doing the footwork for me Carolyn, it's much appreciated. Please don't call me sensei, Paul is best.

Thanks!

Kaoru
21st May 2004, 06:58
Originally posted by pgsmith
Thanks for doing the footwork for me Carolyn, it's much appreciated. Please don't call me sensei, Paul is best.

Thanks!

Hi Paul-san!

You are very welcome! I didn't mind at all. :)

Sincerely,

Soulend
21st May 2004, 08:10
Lincolnton Aikido and Fitness also does some sword work..but I'm not sure if it's aikiken or what (since they also offer ninpo [?!]). At any rate, I know James Williams has done seminars there in the past, and since it's just a short jaunt up 85/321, it may be worth checking out:
http://www.aikidoandfitness.com

duncan1745
21st May 2004, 14:57
Thank you Paul Smith. While doing research around the net I came across this forum and saw where you were trying to find me sword instructors. I appreciate your effort. It is little things as this that makes one's honor shine.

I have this great yearning for the art of the sword such as with kenjutsu. I am checking into Katsujin Ryu Kenjutsu rather than kendo. I am considering Walt Bushey as my primary sensei at his Katsujin ryu Buddkai dojo in Texas. I will be going up for a weekend of training every three months. It is inbetween that time I would like to find someone local.

There is a Jeff Huff that is setting up a dojo in the mountains of N.C. but this will take over a year to complete before he is offering training. His main concentration is in iaido. Huff said he was one of only two that could certify style in iaido in the U.S.A.

I am going to look over the suggestions of people given on this thread and maybe I will find someone. Thanks to everyone.

Duncan

socho
21st May 2004, 15:08
That would be Greg Huff, not Jeff. Not sure what you think you heard, but he is a 7th dan kyoshi in MJER under the ZNIR. He trained in Japan for about ten years (and continues to train) under Maruyama-sensei, the head of ZNIR MJER on Kyushu, one of the three most senior people in the system. Just my opinion, but I would think he might be worth waiting for? Just be prepared to work hard.

Dave

duncan1745
21st May 2004, 15:17
My apology, it is Greg not Jeff. I had a weekend visit with him last week. He took me on a tour of his mountain property where he is planning to build his home and dojo. It is on the side of a mountain that is hardly populated. I hope to help him every several weeks giving him a hand on the property and discuss swords. If he lets me, I'll be there when the training begins.

pgsmith
21st May 2004, 16:27
Hello Stefan,
This is handy, now I don't have to send you an email about what I found out! :) Please be aware the E-Budo requires you to sign all of your posts with your full name.

I did not realize that Greg Huff is in your neck of the woods. Given any kind of opportunity, that is who I would advise you to pursue as an instructor. Although I have never personally met him, I have heard nothing but good things about him from many people that I highly respect. Mr. Huff teaches a different branch of the same school, Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu, as Walt Bushey, but has been doing it for a very long time and is quite highly regarded both here and in Japan. Very few people ever have the opportunity to study iaido under someone of Greg Huff's stature and standing.

I have heard good things of Sekiguchi Komei, the head of Walt Bushey's branch of MJER, but I have never heard of Mr. Bushey himself. Of course, this could mean absolutely nothing as the Sekiguchi branch of MJER tends to keep pretty much to themselves.

Good luck in your search. Take your time and then practice hard!

Cheers,

Charles Mahan
21st May 2004, 18:20
Huff-sensei is the second most senior MJER guy in this country if I'm not mistaken. At least within the mainline of MJER. He is a Nanadan-kyoshi, and one of the finest swordsman I've ever had the pleasure of training with.

Paul, weren't you at the last San Antonio Sword Show? Huff-sensei was one of the other two MJER instructors who demo'd alongside Ray-sensei. Big cuts. Gives you the impression than he could cut you in half from the other side of the room.

I'm glad to hear that Huff-sensei is already gathering students for the new North Carolina dojo. Training with this gentleman is not to be missed.

Kaoru
21st May 2004, 20:33
Hi Duncan-san and Paul-san,

The first MJER dojo I mentioned is Greg Huff-sensei's dojo. So, go ahead and take a look at the website in my first post for more information. Sorry I didn't mention it was Huff-sensei's dojo in my first post. You really are lucky! :) (Oh, in case you want to know, it covers both his dojos in N. Virginia and N. Carolina.)

However, could somebody please go to the second MJER website I posted and tell me whose dojo it is? It is driving me nuts that I can't get it to open, and I can't figure out who teaches there, and any other information as well, because of it. All I know, it it is in Greensboro. Every time I try to, my silly MSN Explorer, which I don't use, tries to open and make me login, and I tried finally that, and it still refuses to open. I just get a "This page cannot be displayed" page each time I try. Grrr!! Does the site work for anyone else even? :confused: If it does, could somebody please either post or PM me the information I need that is on the site? :)
Thanks in advance!

Oh, Duncan-san, You should at least go watch a Kendo practice, if you haven't seen it yet. Have you seen it in person yet? Better to make an informed decision after seeing what it is, if you haven't already. It is really a lot of fun, and many Kendoka practice both Iaido and Kendo. There are so many Kendo dojo in Texas, that you'll have no problem finding one, that is for sure.

But, you can't go wrong with Huff-sensei in NC, from what I have heard.

Oh, if you intend on studying MJER in N. Carolina, you may want to find MJER in Texas, because it would make transitioning dojos much easier, when you go from Texas to N. Carolina, because each Ryu is different. I'm not exactly sure where you are, but there are two MJER only(Meaning no Kendo taught) dojos in Texas that I know of. One in Denton(Jon Ray-sensei) and one in the Houston area. If you go here, you will be able to check out who to contact for these two dojos. There are webpages there:

http://www.dentondojo.com/

Oh, and then there is Dr. Diane Mirro's Kendo and Iaido dojo. They teach MJER there also. Check out the River City Kendo and Iaido website for more information here:

http://www.rivercityiaido.com/

I have heard she is very good.

----------------

About the Katsujin Ryu. None of them are above Shodan(1st degree) who teach it, it seems. And, it isn't Katsujin Ryu, by the way. There is no Kenjutsu Koryu/Gendai Ryu by that name. That's just the name of the conglomeration of the four dojos. It's not the Kenjutsu they teach at all. I went to the website here:

http://www.katsujin.org/

The Kenjutsu they teach is VERY new: 1990's according to the website below. It was created by a bunch of Judo, Shotokan Karate, Aikido, Ninjutsu, and Jujutsu practitioners. They call the Kenjutsu part, Gendai Goshin-ryu Kenjutsu. This is what you'd be learning. That is all I will say here, and I will let the more experienced guys take care of it from here, as to what this art is, and give their opinions.

http://www.katsujin.org/ggb.htm

-----------------

IMHO, if you want Koryu, I'd not go here, but to one of the three dojos I mentioned above, or to Kendo. The Koryu JSA have lineage that goes back hundreds of years, and it its traceable. I am not aware of any authentic Koryu Kenjutsu in Texas so far. I have no idea about the Gendai, because there is true Gendai, and then that which is just created from out of the blue, and there seemed to be an awful lot of Gendai there, from what I saw searching, and so I gave up on the Gendai because I didn't know which was which. The only Gendai I am familiar with is, Toyama Ryu and Shinkendo, and neither is in Texas.

So, more experienced students and sensei, please help here.

Anyway, I just thought this may help you.

Well, regarding travel, never mind driving distance, because a legit dojo is rarely in somebody's backyard, unfortunnately. So, don't worry about having to drive an hour or two, maybe a little more, just to get there. Many of us have to do that. It is well worth it to go far just for good instruction.

I hope this helps, and good luck! :)

Oh, and please excuse the length of my post!

Sincerely,

duncan1745
22nd May 2004, 04:27
Thank you Carolyn Hall for the time and effort you have given. I live in Charlotte, N.C. Here is the situation with me. I would like to concentrate first on kenjustsu after the sword is drawn, then later when and if Huff will let me learn under him, I will do the iaido.

I have a reconstructed knee which makes sitting on my ankles undoable. I can be in that sitting positing but several inches up. This will be an issue.

I just have a great love for kenjutsu and simply seek good instruction. I'm willing to drive to Atlanta or somewhere within several hours and will fly to a location once every three months, or depending on the instruction charges that will be included with my expenses.

duncan1745
22nd May 2004, 05:29
Here is more information I was given about the Katsuin Ruy Kenjutsu by Bushey.

Katsujin Ryu Kenjutsu is the name given to Kuniaki sensei's Gendai Goshin Bukijutsu - Kenjutsu syllabus by Sekiguchi sensei. Kuniaki sensei founded it (Gendai Goshin Bukijutsu) in 1980 so it is rather new and there will not be much on it research wise on the internet. Gendai Goshin Bukijutsu is a sogo bujutsu covering many sub disciplines like Kenjutsu/iaijutsu, Naginatajutsu, Sojutsu/yarijutsu, Kodachijutsu, Tantojutsu, Manrikigusarijutsu, Juttejutsu, Jojutsu/hanbojutsu and Tessenjutsu/gunbaijutsu and Jissen Goshinjutsu. Each discipline was ranked by the name "Gendai Goshin Kenjutsu" or "Gendai Goshin Tantojutsu" etc. Sekiguchi sensei knew Kuniaki sensei when they were younger and becouse of that I was recognized as a kenshi by Sekiguchi sensei 3 years ago. Sekiguchi sensei started calling it "Katsujin Ryu Kenjutsu" and "Katsujin Ryu Naginatajutsu" to the Nippon Budokan Kobudo Kyokai two years ago and it is now listed in the Komei Jyuku ( Sekiguchi sensei's formal organization) as "Katsujin Ryu Kenjutsu". The name of my dojo is Katsujin Ryu Budokai, it was the dojo name ( taken from the word "katsujinken" meaning "life giving sword") that inspired Sekiguchi sensei to start calling our kenjutsu by that name. I chose not to try to correct him and now we refer to it as "Katsujin Ryu Bukijutsu" with it's sub disciplines as "Katsujin Ryu Kenjutsu" etc..
I now represent Sekiguchi sensei's Komei Jyuku and "Muso jikiden Eishin Ryu Yamauchi Ha Iaijutsu" (that is a very old style and should be easily researched on the net) here in Texas and Shimizu Ryu Naginatajutsu (formerly Jikishinkage Ryu Naginatajutsu, name changed this year in honor of Shimizu Nobuko the 17th inheritor).

Chidokan
22nd May 2004, 17:42
wouldnt worry about the knee....do all the waza standing up instead! I know a couple of older guys (75 and 80) who practise MJER and have hip replacements. The waza slightly changes, but the spirit and ideas remain the same.

Kaoru
24th May 2004, 20:11
Hi Duncan-san,

You are very welcome!

Please scroll to the top of this thread to see all the Kendo dojos and MJER dojos(2 of them-one Huff-sensei's and the other, I don't know whose. I can't get the page to work for me.) in your state. I posted them there for Paul-san to send to you. There is Kendo in Charlotte, and I happen to know that it is a very good dojo.

Ken Strawn-sensei of the Charlotte Kendo Dojo, has a leg problem too, and, his is a prosthetic leg. He is really good, from what I understand. You should give it a chance and go visit the dojo. Just give him a call before you come. Here is the Charlotte dojo website, in case you haven't scrolled up yet:

http://home.earthlink.net/~tonymary/kendo.html

And, here is a thread on the Kendo World forum about someone with a problem similar to yours, and the questions he had about training in Kendo or Iaido. He got a lot of good replies. One guy there who replied, has two bad knees. So, check it out.

http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1950&highlight=Ken+Strawn

Anyway, if you really want to study a Koryu Kenjutsu or a Gendai Kenjutsu, then check out these dojos:

Kashima Shinryu Kenjutsu in Athens, GA.

http://www.uga.edu/ksr/

Dr. Karl Friday teaches it at the U of Georgia, and he is amazing. I saw him demonstrate on a History Channel documentary, and this art is beautiful. Please check this site for information and contact info. He is also on this board, if you want to PM him.

Here is the official Kashima Shinryu wrbsite for more detailed information on this JSA:

http://www.kashima-shinryu.us/

-------------

For Shinkendo, a Gendai Kenjutsu art, ther are a fair handful of authorised dojos around the US. Go here for all the dojos in Georgia:

http://www.shinkendo.com/dojomap.html

And, for more information on Shinkendo, go here:

http://www.shinkendo.com/main.html

Just scroll until you find the ones listed in GA. It's there. There are two in Atlanta and several others scattered around the state.

--------------

There is Yagyu Shinkage Ryu in Philidephia, as well. If you want it, I'll PM it to you. Be aware though, that studying Koryu is a committment. And, you'll have to ask to be allowed to train. I have others in my list, but those are the ones off the top off my head, and it depends on the state you are willing to go to, also.

The most legit thing you will find in terms of anything like Kenjutsu in NC is the Kendo-just go try it. It is as close to real Kenjutsu as you will get in your area. And, if you intend on doing MJER, go to the dojo I gave you above. Huff-sensei's that is.

Oh, and yes, what Hamilton-san says is quite right. You CAN do MJER kata standing, and the same goes in Kendo. Most sensei are very accomodating, and will understand as long as you just let them know and explain.

Well, hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Sean Townsend
17th August 2004, 04:09
Originally posted by Kaoru
Hi Duncan-san and Paul-san,
*snip

About the Katsujin Ryu. None of them are above Shodan(1st degree) who teach it, it seems. And, it isn't Katsujin Ryu, by the way. There is no Kenjutsu Koryu/Gendai Ryu by that name. That's just the name of the conglomeration of the four dojos. It's not the Kenjutsu they teach at all. I went to the website here:

http://www.katsujin.org/

The Kenjutsu they teach is VERY new: 1990's according to the website below. It was created by a bunch of Judo, Shotokan Karate, Aikido, Ninjutsu, and Jujutsu practitioners. They call the Kenjutsu part, Gendai Goshin-ryu Kenjutsu. This is what you'd be learning. That is all I will say here, and I will let the more experienced guys take care of it from here, as to what this art is, and give their opinions.

-----------------

IMHO, if you want Koryu, I'd not go here, but to one of the three dojos I mentioned above, or to Kendo. The Koryu JSA have lineage that goes back hundreds of years, and it its traceable. I am not aware of any authentic Koryu Kenjutsu in Texas so far. I have no idea about the Gendai, because there is true Gendai, and then that which is just created from out of the blue, and there seemed to be an awful lot of Gendai there, from what I saw searching, and so I gave up on the Gendai because I didn't know which was which. The only Gendai I am familiar with is, Toyama Ryu and Shinkendo, and neither is in Texas.

I sincerely apologize for resurrecting such an old thread, but I just read this and there are things here that bother me. This is the dojo where I train, and Bushey sensei is a very dear friend of mine so I do have a personal bias here. That said, I cannot fathom how you came to some of these conclusions from the information given.
"None of them are above Shodan(1st degree) who teach it, it seems."
What? Please explain how you have drawn that conclusion.
"It was created by a bunch of Judo, Shotokan Karate, Aikido, Ninjutsu, and Jujutsu practitioners."
This is a misunderstanding of the information on the GGBR site. The purpose of that conglomeration was simply that of promoting Japanese Budo as viable self-defense in the modern world, mostly to counter act the hype surrounding NHB fighting and other such trends. No new system was created there, it was simply a way to bring teachers of similar arts together to train. Nobody is trying to re-invent the wheel or become the next great Sokemon (TM) :)

As for what we do, there is an excellent description in an above post straight from the horse's mouth.

"I am not aware of any authentic Koryu Kenjutsu in Texas so far."
Do you not consider Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu koryu? Our dojo is an official shibu of the Komei Jyuku directly under Sekiguchi Komei sensei, who visits us often for training. His acceptance is not only good enough for me, but a great honor. There are many MJER dojos in Texas from different lines, so it's not fair to give the idea that we are all doing some sort of redneck gendai stuff down here. :)

Nothing hostile intended here, I just hate misinformation and this post came off more than a little judgemental to me.

Chidokan
17th August 2004, 22:27
I suggest the website is redone a little... I found it a little offputting as it does give the initial impression that the iaido practised is a combination of a few iaido schools, see the lineage chart for example.(Obviously not true from your post...) Maybe you could suggest some clean ups to the web author?
The video gives an impression of breakneck speeds for the tate hiza no bu waza as well!! I reckon that would be down to the frame rate, capture speed, and other trickery you need to get video on the web???!!!:D It really flies on my broadband link!

You mention a few different lines of MJER, which ones are there you have around you?

Charles Mahan
17th August 2004, 23:19
Keep in mind that "around you" is a relative term in Texas :D Lubbock is more than 300 miles from Denton.

That I know of there are examples in Texas of Seitokai/ZNIR, Komei Jyuku, and another branch the name of which eludes me again. To my knowledge there are no Jikishinkai dojos in Texas.

Walt Bushey
18th August 2004, 06:14
Thank you for the web site suggestions. In my haste to get alot of information out there, It seems I have not looked at it through the eye's of others. Gomen nasai.

Kuniaki Seno sensei founded his discipline based on his budo background and that of the sensei who trained him. The linage chart was meant to represent what Kuniaki sensei's training foundation was. It was not meant to show a compilation of things thrown together and re-written.

However, as for the comments in a previous post regarding the ranks of myself and others at my dojo,( "No one teaching there is above the rank of shodan (first degree), it seems" ), I have absolutely no idea where Mrs. Carolyn Hall could have possibly come up with that. We do not use a dan/degree system in Katsujin Ryu Bukijutsu and there is absolutely no references to dan rank anywhere on my bukijutsu page: www.katsujin.org/bukijutsu.htm
We use a menkyo system laid down by the founder and my bukijutsu page clearly states my rank as okuden menkyo. This rank was accepted by the Komei Jyuku and Sekiguchi Komei sensei himself recommended me for membership in the Nippon Budokan and Nippon Kobudo Kyokan. I see no need for Mrs. Hall or indeed anyone else to recognize me as anything and no one else needs recognition by me other than martial courtesy and respect. But to put a statement like that out on a public forum without reason or fact shows no martial courtesy or respect and seems prejudicial if not slightly malicious.

Respectfully,
Walt Bushey

Kaoru
18th August 2004, 10:54
Hi!

Originally posted by Sean Townsend
I sincerely apologize for resurrecting such an old thread, but I just read this and there are things here that bother me. This is the dojo where I train, and Bushey sensei is a very dear friend of mine so I do have a personal bias here. That said, I cannot fathom how you came to some of these conclusions from the information given.
"None of them are above Shodan(1st degree) who teach it, it seems."
What? Please explain how you have drawn that conclusion.

I see your site has changed a bit since I last saw it. Unfortunately, since your site was changed around a bit, I can't point you to where I saw that. It IS possible I read shoden as shodan, which is VERY easy to do, when you think about it. I only noticed this just now, since I re-read it closer, on the new page you have with the pictures. I didn't find the other page where I read what I thought I read. I probably read it as Menkyo Shodan. Well, webpages get updated. Oh well. :) If I did, then I apoglogise. I can't show what I read now, but that's ok.

"It was created by a bunch of Judo, Shotokan Karate, Aikido, Ninjutsu, and Jujutsu practitioners."

This is a misunderstanding of the information on the GGBR site. The purpose of that conglomeration was simply that of promoting Japanese Budo as viable self-defense in the modern world, mostly to counter act the hype surrounding NHB fighting and other such trends. No new system was created there, it was simply a way to bring teachers of similar arts together to train. Nobody is trying to re-invent the wheel or become the next great Sokemon (TM) :)

I got the above, from this page below, but it has since been changed and removed after I wrote this, since I went to check, and this list of creators is not there now. I copied the list above in the exact order the site had presented it. The sentence I got it from, said it was created by practitioners OF those arts. Please read my sentence again. That's why I said, "a bunch of." Too bad I didn't just copy the entire page, since it has been changed. I almost did. I didn't, beause I felt it wasn't necessary. And, I just wanted to point out that it wasn't a Koryu art. That doesn't mean it's bad at all. :) Just it's not Koryu, if he wanted Koryu. He could do whichever he wanted though.

(hehehe, Sokemon? That was cute! Is that what Ash(AKA Satoshi in Japan.) will be eventually? hehehe!)

Well, here's the page, now since updated:

I don't know why that was changed. It's clearer now that the ranking is explained, which is good. The page is laid out better too. Oh well. Anyway, yes, a new system WAS created. At least that is how I saw it. This isn't Koryu. Can you please explain what you mean by a new system wasn't created? It was.(Wasn't it? :confused:) That makes it a kind of Gendai art. Nothing wrong with that. Just wondering. It DID say before it got updated and changed, that practitioners of the arts I listed, were who created it. I know what I read, and I read it several times before I chose to write that. I'm not trying to corner you or anything. I just want to know, that's all. I'm just curious. It's not bad. It just looks like a new Gendai to me that I never heard of. The rank system sure did confuse me though. It still does, now that I read the explanation. It's not normally like how other JSA are graded as far as I am aware. I read the explanation of it though. Though, I don't get the "it prevents excessive dan ranks" bit. The only way to prevent that, is not to give a grade that isn't deserved. You just flat out don't pass them. That's why there are so few Hachidan in Kendo. The same for the other high ranks. I'm not going to say it is good or bad, because it is only a difference of opinion. It wouldn't be fair to say if it was or not.

Anyway, I figured somebody else would come and say something about what kind of Gendai it was, because I only know of two Gendai JSA that have a real lineage. I said that before. The site was confusing, and so I left it open for those who actually know. I didn't ever say this art is not legit. I only know of two Gendai, and so that's why I said somebody with more experience could tell more. I can't say anything else, for that reason. I did think carefully before posting that post, and did re-write it several times before posting. I haven't seen this thread in a long time. I think maybe I wasn't clear enough in what I meant. Ah well... I did try. If you will read it again, you will see that I wasn't trying to be offending at all. And, I DID ask for others to commment at the end, since I didn't really know anything else about it.

"I am not aware of any authentic Koryu Kenjutsu in Texas so far."

Do you not consider Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu koryu? Our dojo is an official shibu of the Komei Jyuku directly under Sekiguchi Komei sensei, who visits us often for training. His acceptance is not only good enough for me, but a great honor. There are many MJER dojos in Texas from different lines, so it's not fair to give the idea that we are all doing some sort of redneck gendai stuff down here. :)

Yes MJER is Koryu. :) I was just referring to Koryu Kenjutsu. I found MJER in Texas and posted it as Koryu. I found no authentic Kenjutsu Koryu in Texas so far when I searched. That's all I meant. I know only 3 lines of MJER so far... Sekiguchi(One dojo in Florida), Jikishinkai(Sp? Darn.) and the line that Charles-san is training in, and I don't remember the name of that one. Yes, MJER does have several lines, and it gets messy from what someone told me when I asked once about it. I was able to only find 2 MJER dojos of only one line in Texas. Your dojo? I wasn't quite sure, since there wasn't enough information then. When confused, leave it. That's what I was told by a sempai. That's why I didn't anything about the MJER in your dojo.

Did I ever say redneck Gendai? No... :)

I wrote:

I have no idea about the Gendai, because there is true Gendai, and then that which is just created from out of the blue, and there seemed to be an awful lot of Gendai there, from what I saw searching, and so I gave up on the Gendai because I didn't know which was which.

I meant that a search for Iaido brought up a lot of iffy looking stuff. So, I gave up looking. I wouldn't know good gendai from bad. Better not to post it then, if I haven't a clue. Right? :)

Nothing hostile intended here, I just hate misinformation and this post came off more than a little judgemental to me.

No, no offense taken at all :) And, if you had seen my post when I first wrote it, you'd have gotten to see where I got my information. Sorry that it looks the way it does, but then, is not the same as now. Sorry you thought it a bit judgemental, but it wasn't intended to be. :) I just had some reservations since I don't know the art, so I decided to say very little and leave it to someone else, if they felt like explaining. :)

Sincerely,

Kaoru
18th August 2004, 11:40
Originally posted by Walt Bushey
Thank you for the web site suggestions. In my haste to get alot of information out there, It seems I have not looked at it through the eye's of others. Gomen nasai.

Kuniaki Seno sensei founded his discipline based on his budo background and that of the sensei who trained him. The linage chart was meant to represent what Kuniaki sensei's training foundation was. It was not meant to show a compilation of things thrown together and re-written.

However, as for the comments in a previous post regarding the ranks of myself and others at my dojo,( "No one teaching there is above the rank of shodan (first degree), it seems" ), I have absolutely no idea where Mrs. Carolyn Hall could have possibly come up with that. We do not use a dan/degree system in Katsujin Ryu Bukijutsu and there is absolutely no references to dan rank anywhere on my bukijutsu page: www.katsujin.org/bukijutsu.htm
We use a menkyo system laid down by the founder and my bukijutsu page clearly states my rank as okuden menkyo. This rank was accepted by the Komei Jyuku and Sekiguchi Komei sensei himself recommended me for membership in the Nippon Budokan and Nippon Kobudo Kyokan. I see no need for Mrs. Hall or indeed anyone else to recognize me as anything and no one else needs recognition by me other than martial courtesy and respect. But to put a statement like that out on a public forum without reason or fact shows no martial courtesy or respect and seems prejudicial if not slightly malicious.

Respectfully,
Walt Bushey

Hi Mr. Bushey,

To go overboard a bit to call it prejudicial and if not slightly malicious, is not a kind thing to say. If you read my post, it was obvious I was not sure, and I DID ask others for help. I was very nice about it. Please don't read so much into things. I did not say they were all shodan, either. I said, "it seems." Seeing Menkyo Shoden was different. I think I did think you meant Shodan. I see I misread it now, but now that I think about it again, I bet I thought it was a misspelling, since it was new to me. I have heard of Shoden, but not Menkyo shoden. I didn't know they could be put together. This was several months ago, I can't remember what I actually thought. I forgot about this thread. Regarding you, I didn't see the Menkyo shoden next to your name. I didn't know what rank you were. I saw the karate ranking, but that was all, besides Menkyo Okuden. I didn't know what to make of it and no dan ranking for the JSA. So, I didn't mention you at all. So, please notice I didn't single you out. That would have been rude. I wasn't even talking about you, but I didn't make that clear enough. I am sorry that didn't get made clear.

There is no need to get upset over this, since I did not say anything else about it. I am very sorry you were offended, and I really did not mean any offense.

Sincerely,

Sean Townsend
18th August 2004, 20:16
No problem Carolyn, thank you for your reply and for the clarification. I just wanted to get factual information out there as things can get very out of hand on e-budo and very quickly at that. A lot of good came from this in that the website was updated to provide the information in a more understandable way. Now we can get back to our regularly scheduled programming;)

Chidokan
18th August 2004, 22:51
Nice to see you follow the menkyo system. I'm curious to know the rough breaks you have between each level, as I keep bumping in to this system but never seem to get firm answers on things like time, ability level, age etc...best I have so far is 'must be a family man of good standing in the community and have a good standard of iaido', a typically japanese answer if I ever heard one!
I dont know about other people, but if you look at the age of some of the old (pre war) japanese teachers reaching kaiden level, they seem to be quite young (under 50). Does anyone else get this impression? I can only assume from this that they must have trained very intensively (all day every day)or started at a very early age...

As to the website, I think the conclusion is... if you want to mislead someone, build a web site....:D :D

Walt Bushey
19th August 2004, 04:30
Hello all,
Carolyn, to answer your question regarding the creation of a "new" art. The "creation" you refered to was a syllabus of techniques common to the different japanese budo forms of the various sensei involved, not a new art or style. Just a common syllabus. The premise was to promote all nihon budo as having viable self defense application equal to the 6 month "combat wonder" type of courses and NHB type bravado schools that proliferate so much. With a common syllabus we could all combat the statements made by the uninformed with actual techniqe. For instance I have been told: "karate will not work in a fight", "Sword training is just for show", "Aikido is just a dance with no real application", "ninjutsu is just tricks that won't stand up to a full on fight" etc ad nauseam. These statements were made by people with no real knowledge of what they are talking about but were listening to hype and marketing which at times can be very pursuasive. These arts in question, if practiced for cambative intent, can be very effective in self defense for they all have a actual combative root. By helping each other get stronger in various skills (Like making a karateka better at nage waza or making a kendoka better at atemi waza) we could all demonstrate the well roundedness and effectivness of our respective arts rather than lose potential students to alot of false hype and promises. I hope this clears it up.

My reaction to your words was based on the thread as a whole. Please let me explain: A man asked about Kenjutsu in North Carolina and mentions that he has contacted me and is planning on coming to Texas. As the thread goes on he receives good information about a sensei in his neck of the woods and very inaccurate information about my style, my ranks and is actually recomended to NOT come to train at my dojo even though I am fully liscensed to teach Koryu Iaijutsu. This man who made plans to come to my dojo then stood me up and never contacted me again. This came across (inadvertantly I now know)as an attack on me and my dojo to the people that know me. If you say this was not the case then I accept that and wish you the best in budo. Pherhaps you might consider one day coming to Lubbock and traiing with Sekiguchi sensei and Shimizu sensei during his West Texas Training. Ritsuko Obiki sensei (a kendo sensei with a dojo in Tokyo) is one of Sekiguchi sensei's students and will possibly be joining Sekiguchi sensei's group next year.

Gambute mata,
Walt Bushey

davidrobbins
22nd August 2004, 23:29
Dear Duncan,

I must reply to this information you received. I would send it as a private message, but it is important that some honest clarification be put forward concerning, for everyone reading your post.
First, I would want you to know that Bushey sensei is a very good, technical instructor and I greatly respect his abilities, so even though I will sound critical in my post, it should not be construed as an attack.
Walt Bushey Sensei was my first introduction into Gendai Goshin Kenjutsu. As far as research into it's founder, Kuniaki Seno sensei, there is almost no information available, except through Mr. Bushey, which is somewhat suspect in validating.
Bushey's introduction to 21st Grandmaster of MJERI (Yamanouchi Ha)Sekiguchi Komei Sensei began in December, 2002, when I met the grandmaster in Japan. I demonstrated the GGK learned from Bushey sensei and it was received well. I began training under Komei Juku and this culminated in my demonstrating at the Yasukuni Ginja on January 1st, 2003.
The grandmaster then desired to come to Texas to meet Walt, and this was arranged in May 2003. Thus began our association within the Komei Juku. Mr. Bushey became his Texas affiliate and I, the New Mexico affiliate. I wanted to introduce Bushey sensei to Sekiguchi Sensei in honor of being Walt's 'arrow' in Japan.
I returned to Japan in November 2003 for further study and two demonstrations; one in Kunitachi and the other at Itsukushima shrine on Miyajima Island. Also, Mr. Bushey and I were granted membership and inducted into the Nippon Budokan Kobudo Kyokai Association. I delivered the admission documents myself, once back in the states.
Unfortunately, Mr. Bushey and I are not on good terms these days ("...I am disloyal and have failed to act honorably by apologizing..."), and it is unlikely that our personal differences will ever be smoothed out. During the grandmaster's last visit to Texas (March 2004) I was not included in the invitation, and Sekiguchi's sincere desire to come to the New Mexico branch was ignored by Mr. Bushey. It seems that the bridge I helped construct has had a 'toll booth' placed upon it.
The claims that Bushey sensei has made to you concerning dates of his induction are inaccurate, and in my view, dishonest. His statements made concerning 'kenshi', I do not know to be valid or not, as I was kept separated from the sensei during his last visit.
I am sure that by revealing these things, the gap will only increase between Komei Juku Texas and New Mexico, and I will be lauded with continued disbasement by the Katsujin people, but dirty laundry or not, only honest inspection of the facts will lead to 'clean sheets'.

Sincerely,

David Robbins
Komei Juku
New Mexico

Originally posted by duncan1745
Here is more information I was given about the Katsuin Ruy Kenjutsu by Bushey.

Katsujin Ryu Kenjutsu is the name given to Kuniaki sensei's Gendai Goshin Bukijutsu - Kenjutsu syllabus by Sekiguchi sensei. Kuniaki sensei founded it (Gendai Goshin Bukijutsu) in 1980 so it is rather new and there will not be much on it research wise on the internet. Gendai Goshin Bukijutsu is a sogo bujutsu covering many sub disciplines like Kenjutsu/iaijutsu, Naginatajutsu, Sojutsu/yarijutsu, Kodachijutsu, Tantojutsu, Manrikigusarijutsu, Juttejutsu, Jojutsu/hanbojutsu and Tessenjutsu/gunbaijutsu and Jissen Goshinjutsu. Each discipline was ranked by the name "Gendai Goshin Kenjutsu" or "Gendai Goshin Tantojutsu" etc. Sekiguchi sensei knew Kuniaki sensei when they were younger and becouse of that I was recognized as a kenshi by Sekiguchi sensei 3 years ago. Sekiguchi sensei started calling it "Katsujin Ryu Kenjutsu" and "Katsujin Ryu Naginatajutsu" to the Nippon Budokan Kobudo Kyokai two years ago and it is now listed in the Komei Jyuku ( Sekiguchi sensei's formal organization) as "Katsujin Ryu Kenjutsu". The name of my dojo is Katsujin Ryu Budokai, it was the dojo name ( taken from the word "katsujinken" meaning "life giving sword") that inspired Sekiguchi sensei to start calling our kenjutsu by that name. I chose not to try to correct him and now we refer to it as "Katsujin Ryu Bukijutsu" with it's sub disciplines as "Katsujin Ryu Kenjutsu" etc..
I now represent Sekiguchi sensei's Komei Jyuku and "Muso jikiden Eishin Ryu Yamauchi Ha Iaijutsu" (that is a very old style and should be easily researched on the net) here in Texas and Shimizu Ryu Naginatajutsu (formerly Jikishinkage Ryu Naginatajutsu, name changed this year in honor of Shimizu Nobuko the 17th inheritor).

Walt Bushey
23rd August 2004, 06:09
In regards to Mr. Robbins statements,
Let's see, an ex-student removed from my dojo by and for his own actions and unhappy about having to live with the consequences of his own actions wishes to cast dispersions in the name of "honesty". That's original. No bitterness or axe to grind here. If this were worth responding to in detail, I would. It's not and those of us that know him feel sadness that he is the way he is.
Walt Bushey
Texas Komei Jyuku Shibucho

Alex Parks
23rd August 2004, 19:12
I live in the Greensboro area and knew a man who was a student there. That website seemed to quit working just over a year ago as well as the phone numbers associated with the dojo have also been disconnected. I guess the organization went belly up for whatever reason. I have , to date, not been able to find any one locally who has any more information about the place.

Sean Townsend
24th August 2004, 03:14
Originally posted by davidrobbins
"It seems that the bridge I helped construct has had a 'toll booth' placed upon it."
"but dirty laundry or not, only honest inspection of the facts will lead to 'clean sheets'."

Sincerely,

David Robbins
Komei Juku
New Mexico [/B]

I thought I was the king of odd analogy, but these are great! Can I use these?

All kidding aside, I must admit that I was living in Dallas when all of this transpired. If I had been here you would have been rather upset at my reply to the email you sent all the students here in Lubbock had I received it. After reviewing all of the local evidence regarding this matter, it is my assessment that Bushey sensei's information is correct. As for your information, I honestly don't know the reason why you have taken this path. Good luck in your endeavors nonetheless.

Bigfoot
25th August 2004, 02:30
Dave

It really saddens me that it has come to this. It is completely inappropriate to start all this up again in an open forum. One would think you would have learned from the last time you did this. YOu had a disagreement with Walt and instead of dealing with it privately where it could have been settled you involved the rest of the Dojo.

As for your hand delivering documents to Walt, I am not exactly sure what documents you are referring to. I know you didn't deliver Walt's Application to Japan because you came to the Dojo SUpposedly looking for Walt when you knew he wouldn't be there, and when you came back you delivered his packet to me and I delivered it to him. You were instructed by Sekiguchi Sensei to meet with Walt and clear things up, but you never have. Instead you go looking for people to take your side against Walt like you are here.

Sekiguchi Sensei's last visit you complain how we kept him from visiting New Mexico as he desired. But what you wanted was for us to pay to bring him here and then you take him to New Mexico to train.
Well that is one but you didn't want any of us coming with him to train. Gee you think that might have caused some people to get a tad bit upset?? Now if all that wasn't enough, Sekiguchi Sensei's last night here you set in wait outside waiting for us to leave so you could harrass him demanding your menkyo you seemed to believe you deserve. After being run off you came back two more times to the point that charges for stalking have been filed against you.

All I can say is to go on with your life. If you are serious about your commitment to the sword arts then you should be out there spreading them or the very limited knowledge you have of them after cutting yourself off from any instruction you could have had. Stop acting like a spoiled child and act in a way your students can respect you.

James D. Wisneski

davidrobbins
25th August 2004, 15:04
All you guys have your minds made up anyway, so the facts aren't going to sway you to believe the truth of the matter. I am not looking for allies to take up my side. I'll stand alone before I fall into line with people who can't see past their noses.
James Wisneski and the rest of you guys are misinformed. The timeline which Bushey spoke of is not correct, and for you to support it...well, tells me how little ikkyo nage it takes to get you to bend from the truth.
Shawn, I never sent you any emails, but obviously, they were forwarded to you. And I don't believe we know each other, so hold your tongue, mister. You do not have the right to spout off about things you do not have a fair and balanced grasp of. My email was sent to people whom I respect for their honesty and integrity in assessing things with a clear head.
James, I was never instructed by Sekiguchi to meet with Walt. Walt could have had all of us sit down together to work things out when I came to Texas, but he chose not too.
And as far as a trip to NM is concerned, I wasn't given the opportunity and would have gladly paid my share of the expense, and no, you are also misinformed that you guys wouldn't have been invited. And you are way off base to think that I waited outside for everyone to leave an appreciation party for the sensei's. The truth is, I spoke with him on the phone and he asked me to meet with him. He asked me to come over.
Hahaha! I can't believe you bought that story. Run off??? What the hell ARE you talking about? No one chased me away or ran me off.
I went to the house to give the sensei's the gifts I had for them, and was made to wait outside, and worse still, the sensei's were 'instructed' to go outside to meet with me. Hahaha. You are so wrong. If you were there, why the hell didn't you come out, too? Do I need to remind you of all the supportive emails you sent to me while I was in Japan? I was driving away when the sensei's stopped me to give the 'oshugi' writings they had made for me and my students.
Man, you are soooo wrong...or maybe it's the story you were told that is all wrong. Out of all of Bushey's students, I have such a respect for you and we've shared so much together...that I cannot believe you aren't assessing these things with any modicum of balance. Perhaps the threat of being ostrasized yourself if you helped me has given you pause...
And this is a first time for me to hear about 'stalking charges'. Wow. I can't believe you people are going to all this BS.
But I can see where this is all going. You guys can gang up and make me look bad and attack me all you want, because it changes nothing of the facts. You can believe whatever flight of fancy Walt comes up with. Blind loyalty overshadows truth on a regular basis.
And yep, I don't have the experience that Walt has, but I am learning from one of the best; Sekiguchi sensei, and I'm glad all of you people are also enjoying the fruits of my labor. I can at least say that I accomplished my mission to Japan: To seek out some credibility for a man who couldn't seem to get any for himself. I believed in him, you, and everyone else in that school...and you know it!
And it is not inappropriate to voice a reasonable opinion based upon first hand knowledge...what IS inappropriate is falsifying information to a public forum!
I am quite content not to be involved with people of your ilk. But enough is enough, so believe whatever helps you sleep better at night. And my students do respect me, however much damage you might want to create by making spiteful remarks.

Respectfully,

David Robbins

pgsmith
25th August 2004, 17:23
Gentlemen,
While I can't speak for everyone, I think I can safely say that most on this forum really don't care about your petty squabbles. I am of the firm belief that a dojo's dirty laundry shouldn't be hung out in public. That so many different members of both camps are on a public forum slinging mud back and forth actually says quite a bit about the leadership involved.

When the initial controversy began, the leaders of both dojo should have stated their cases and been done. To have various dojo members arguing back and forth about he said, no he didn't, is demeaning to your respective schools. I'm frankly surprised that Mr. Bushey, being the reputed leader of the Lubbock dojo, has allowed such a thing to continue. I am also surprised that Mr. Robbins, being the reputed head of his own dojo in New Mexico, would personally stoop to this level.

Just my thoughts on the whole thing gentlemen but I, for one, am not impressed.

Walt Bushey
25th August 2004, 17:36
Mr. Smith,
I agree with your statements. I apologize for the missuse of e-budo. This issue was dead to us a long time ago and we were quite suprised to see it brought up again.
respectfully,
Walt Bushey

Darryl Robbins
26th August 2004, 16:51
List,

This will be my one and only post on this matter.

First, I will apologize to those who are part of this list and who are in no way involved in this, but are enduring the debacle. I believe it is time for the administrators of this forum to end the opportunity to post responses to this subject.

I have been involved with both camps in regards to this issue ever since it reared it's ugly head, and have done my best to refain from hasty judgements or harsh words. That time is ended.

As a Personal Protection Officer and Private Investigator, I am quite familiar with the laws about stalking and restraining orders, and the behaviors of stalkers. The post introduced by the writer, J.W., bears absolutely no credibility and magnifies the lunacy and ignorance his camp adheres to with their posts. Words of that nature can quickly contribute to a case building against you. There are laws that protect individuals from such loose remarks.

This is all beginning to resemble a movie we know - The Karate Kid. I wonder if J.W., W.B. and the rest of his school will be wearing their skeleton outfits this year for Halloween?

I have taken these several years to collect evidence, interview people, assess each side's remarks, and put it all together in a non-partisan, "taking no sides" approach to avoid any misjudgements because of my personal involvement with both sides. My conclusions:

W.B.'s assertion that he was involved with Sekiguchi Sensei before D.R. introduced them is nothing short of a bold-faced lie. W.B. did not even know this man existed until D.R. met him, trained with him, and impressed him enough to make the journey to Texas. W.B. should have been proud of his student and gracious enough to recognize this, and not LIE ABOUT IT.

Once the Sensei arrived, D.R. was left with paying for groceries for the two visitors, trying to recoup a 300-mile deficit that W.B. had run up on D.R.'s personal vehicle, and other expenses that W.B. had promised to reimburse, but ignored.

D.R. should have been more assertive in bringing this to W.B.'s attention, but didn't - much to his remorse now.

But what really started the house to crumble was Sekiguchi Sensei asking D.R. to return to Japan without informing W.B. about it. Those of us from the West may never truly discern the mysteries of the East, but D.R. was bothered enough by this to bring it to W.B.'s attention in the hopes that his instructor could shed some light on its meaning. Instead, W.B. accused D.R. of dishonesty and disloyalty, and barred him from any further study - cutting him off from his fellow friends and colleagues at the dojo. I know that he has threatened other students with this fate, as well, if they continue a relationship with D.R.

Further proof lies in emails whereby W.B. mentions his jealousy of his student, D.R., being asked to return to Japan - instead of him.

D.R. loved his school, his training, and his teacher. What W.B. did was unwarranted, unjustified, and completely arrogant. And it saddens me to know that there is no turning back from it.

For those of you who have thought about training under W.B. - know this: CAVEAT EMPTOR.

If you are interested in some very good martial arts training in traditional Japanese weapons, W.B.'s school is the only place you'll find it in a 4 or 5 hour driving radius around Lubbock, Texas.

Just don't get involved with him personally. Pay your dues, train hard, fold your hakama, bow out, and then leave quickly.

W.B. - your arrogance and spiteful nature will only bring sadness to the martial arts community. I have witnessed your arrogance on more than one occasion and it was an embarrasment. Quit insulting local instructors whom you've trained under, stop harrassing old students who run restaurants to give you free food, and finally, if you can't produce evidence of who your instructor, Kuniaki Seno Sensei is, to those who ask about him, perhaps you should revise your resume? None of the PI databases I have access to and my private contacts know of this individual. SHAME ON YOU!

D.R. - keep on, keeping on. Let this be a lesson to always be aware of your environment and the company you keep. I know your heart has been true in this journey. You may not have the experience of W.B., but as my first instructor always taught me about fighting - it is not the belt, it is the person.

With much respect,

Sean Townsend
26th August 2004, 23:51
I really, really tried to hold my tongue on this, but there is one thing I just can't let go. I won't comment on the issue at hand any further. It is a private matter and should be talked about elsewhere. What I'm calling you out on is another issue, that is making a lengthy post on the matter after it was agreed to be done with and THEN asking for the thread to be closed. "Let me sneak my attack in here and then you can close the thread." That angers me, although not as much as some very demeaning statements made towards a dear friend of mine. Now you've posted a lengthy attack on his character, and because he has promised not to respond to this issue further, there is no opportunity for rebuttal. I apologize for posting again, but I am absolutely furious right now. Please forgive my lack of restraint.

Walt Bushey
27th August 2004, 00:28
Both Mr. Robbins,
Lashing out at me does not alter reality. You both know where I live, any issues past or present should have been/should be brought to me in person, and not wasting this space with false statments others don't know or care about and have no place in a public forum.

To the e-budo forum, This "getting in the last word" thing from either of the Mr. Robbins is out of my control. This thread and forum was not meant to be used in this manner.
Respectfully,
Walt Bushey

Sean Townsend
27th August 2004, 05:13
Well, now that I am calmed down, I'll make an attempt to steer the topic to the original intent and give my opinion on that. All anyone needs to do when investigating a dojo is to participate in a class, talk with the sensei, and politely ask to see that instuctor's menkyo and inquire as to what his or her link to Japan is. We are fortunate that the Japanese sword arts are becoming more and more available here in the U.S., and our fine country is producing some really great instructors. A few interviews with any instructor should give you and idea whether you have found the right teacher for you.

I have been studying with Mr. Bushey on and off for about 10 years now, the off period being the few years I spent in Dallas. I remember training with him in his garage before the dojo was ever opened. I asked those questions, and I was more than satisfied with the answers. I was one of the early students who has seen the proof of Kuniaki sensei's existance and instruction through pictures, letters, and the gifts given to Bushey sensei. Unfortunately, all but one of these items were destroyed as a casualty of a divorce. I have seen them though, but hey, you can always dismiss me as a liar if you so choose. Kuniaki sensei moved back to Japan in 1997 before the opening of the dojo and we have lost contact with him. We are not the first martial artists this has happened to, and won't be the last.

All that is irrelevant as we now train under Sekiguchi sensei, which adds a great depth and new spirit to our training which is wonderful. Truth be told if Bushey sensei had made everything up regarding Kuniaki then he is a genious, considering a headmaster of one of the MJER lines not only recognized the techniques as valid but accepted him into his own ryu. If we are going to be making Karate Kid references, then Bushey sensei is the closest thing to Miyagi I have ever found. That is the type of relationship I urge all students to seek in the martial arts. Very few students in our dojo merely fold their hakama and leave, we are all friends and usually wind up hanging around an extra hour or two just chatting :)

The good thing about this thread is that it seems the original poster found a good iai school in North Carolina, so the objective was accomplished even if it did turn into an 800 pound gorilla. For that, you all have my apologies.

davidrobbins
27th August 2004, 07:05
Mr. Smith

I do also agree with your statements, and am sorry to have added any personal grievance to Duncan's original posting. However, I do believe it was necessary to clarify information contained from the Katsujin website. Only the facts were needed in my post, without the emotion, so I will apologize to you and the forum members for that.
Mr. Bushey should revise his website information to more accurately reflect his 'new' status as a representative of Komei Juku and his joining the Nippon Kobudokan Kyokai; May 2003 and November 2003, respectively. Also, his shobucho certification, March 2004. Anything different is a misrepresentation to people who would not know otherwise.

Sincerely,
David Robbins