PDA

View Full Version : Books on Shorinji Kenpo?

MonkeySlap
26th October 2000, 18:57
Are there any biographies of Doshin So published in English? Are they available? and from where?

Thanks, I'm just a martial art history buff, and I think Doshin So has an interesting story.

Anders Pettersson
26th October 2000, 22:51
Hi MonkeySlap and welcome to e-budo.
First a reminder of that there is an e-budo rule to always sign your posts with your full name.

As to publications on Shorinji Kempo in English, there isn't much printed. Thee is a book made in the early Seventies, I think it is called: <I>"Shorinji Kempo - philosophy and techniques"</I>.
I believe it is out of print but some people mention that they've seen it in bookstores now and then. Hasn't read it for many years I can't really comment on it, but it doesn't have much history of Kaiso in it. It also has quite a few mistakes in the explanation of techniques.

The best on history of Kaiso (in English) is, IMO, a series of articles published in the Shorinji Kempo Newsletter. You can find these articles in the <A href="http://www.shorinji-kempo.org/" target="_blank">Swedish Shorinji Kempo Federation</A> homepage. (First go to <I>English</I> then <I>Articles</I>.

Anders
<A href="http://www.shorinji-kempo.org/">www.shorinji-kempo.org</A>
[Fixed the link]

[Edited by Anders Pettersson on 10-27-2000 at 02:15 AM]

MonkeySlap
26th October 2000, 23:20
Thanks Anders,
But I couldn't get your link to work, could you supply the URL?

Thanks,

Joe Judt

Steve Williams
26th October 2000, 23:35
Hi Joe

The url to Anders site http://www.shorinji-kempo.org (it is on his signature, sneaky eh :shadowmas: )

To add to your request, I read a short piece about Doshin So in a book about MA written by Don Draeger (one of a series of three), sorry cannot remember the title but the Shorinji Kempo section was quite well written.

Hope this helps

migjohns
27th October 2000, 01:54
I think the Draeger book with the Shoringi Kempo section is called "Modern Bujitsu and Budo". I read it several years ago, but remember it to be an interesting and objective look at Shoringi Kempo's history, philosophy and technique.

Mike Johnson
Inuyama Kita Shibu

Gary Dolce
27th October 2000, 03:06
Mike is right about the name of the Draeger book, but the chapter on Shorinji Kempo contains some fairly critical comments on Doshin So and Shorinji Kempo. I can't comment on Draeger's criticisms of the history of Shorinji Kempo, but inaccuracies in his technical criticisms make me wonder if he saw the same Shorinji Kempo we practice.

George Hyde
27th October 2000, 12:53
Originally posted by Gary Dolce
I can't comment on Draeger's criticisms of the history of Shorinji Kempo, but inaccuracies in his technical criticisms make me wonder if he saw the same Shorinji Kempo we practice.

I think Draeger's overtly critical approach is based entirely on questions raised over Kaiso's claims to succeeding the Shaolin tradition and the lack of verification. Based on this, he supports his argument by comparing SK with classical wushu and spends most of his time pointing out the stylistic difference's. This is a shame since he seems to miss the point that the Shaolin influence on SK has more to do with the 'do' aspects of the Shaolin tradition rather than physical style.

The rest of the book demonstrates that he is (or rather, was) clearly well informed. I was particularly impressed by the care taken to differentiate between budo and bujutsu. It's well worth a read.

As for the history of Doshin So, there is a fair bit their that you probably wouldn't get from Hombu, but on the whole, not very illuminating.

If anyone can suggest a better source, I'd love to hear about it.

Later,