PDA

View Full Version : Timing

Ong Han Beng
21st May 2004, 07:34
Can someone help describe the speed & timing between the different sets? I suspose Uchidachi controls the pace, based on the level of the Shidachi (?). Or is it both ways (cause & effect)?

Cheers
Han Beng

Ong Han Beng
21st May 2004, 10:01
I was talking about SMR.

Thanks
Han Beng

Andy Watson
28th June 2004, 09:36
My experience in SMR is minimal compared to some others on this site but I would like to contribute to see how others view what I have been told.

Omote - tachi sets the timing which should be precise and stepped as technical development is the key to this set

Chudan - very light and rapid timing, the flow of the kata is more significant than the technical content

Samidare - the jo becomes in advance of timing with "pre-emptive counter strikes"

Okuden - lots of contrast between the slow parts of the kata and the rapid conclusions

Mekugi
30th June 2004, 03:51
What was it...
"distance, timing and targeting" in all things SMR (This may be out of order).

It seems to me, however I may be wrong, that and each movement within a kata has it's own distance, it's own timing as well as it's own target (or I guess, intention). I don not believe that timing is a matter of sets or grouping, but of proper "oyo" (application) of the kata, for each movement and "moment" of the kata.

-R

astro_al
1st July 2004, 15:51
Mekugi - I confess I have nothing of my own to add to this thread, but I follow it with interest. Just so I understand your point correctly, do you mean that in your view there is effectively no different emphasis between the sets and each teaches the same points to the same degree, or do you think that, like in iai for example, these factors would change between the different sets?

Of course it makes sense that there is only a certain amount of flexibility in the timing if the techniques are to remain effective, but does this mean that the timing in each set must be the same? Maybe you could argue that for a technique to be truly effective, there is NO flexibility in the timing of its application? Could it be that proper 'oyo' MEANS that the timing is different between sets and THAT is what they are trying to convey, and that if the timing is the same between all sets, the 'oyo' wil necessarily be wrong, perhaps?

I don't know, I'm just musing, and interested.

Hope that makes sense, Al Colebourn.

Andy Watson
2nd July 2004, 09:20
Hi Al

I must admit that I agree with you on this point.

The various teaching sets in jodo were developed and introduced by different masters during the ryuha's lineage and each must have emphasised a feeling of their own as is common in most multi-level martial arts.

As far as I can remember, Shimizu S for example created the gohon no midare and so the speed and timing of those would surely be his own.

Looking at the differences between East and West Japan jodo, there are significant differences so surely if the Japanese are so good at passing things on untainted then there must be variations in the feeling of newly created forms.