PDA

View Full Version : steps in kendo?

malahayati
24th May 2004, 13:53
I've already learn kendo for about one year, before that, I've already learn taekwondo for four years (I'm still practice it!!)

and I have some different basic of step in these two martial art.

in taekwondo, speed, is the core of all!! we can make a fast step, almost jump in everytime we get "sparing" ("sparing" is "fight")
my "sabeum" or teacher, said that, we should move, over there, over here, just like a boxer!!and we'll reach a good speed during all those move!!

but, in kendo, I found a strange,
yeah!! speed is still important, but, steps in kendo,
or we called "ashi sabaki" (sorry if I spell it wrong)is a strange way to make a step for we to make a good speed, because, our feet have to touch the ground!!
in almost all the way of step, just like "ayumi ashi", or "okuri ashi"
when we make a long move, or just a step, our feet is supposed to touch the floor!

how can we get a good speed, or find our flecsibility if our feet can't make a free move?

kendo is strange, but interesting, anyways!!

thanks!!

Charlie Kondek
24th May 2004, 14:02
If you keep practicing, you will find that your ability to push from the back leg, and push forward with the hips, increases in strength. Not only will it cause you to move fast but it is important in making the sword cut an effective one.

gendzwil
24th May 2004, 14:32
When you make a lunge, your front foot comes off the ground a little. You'll find advanced kendoka move in pretty quickly using this technique.