PDA

View Full Version : My kingdom for a goza........

Jock Armstrong
27th June 2004, 00:56
Do any of the Australian swordy types know where a silly sharp things afficionado can find some wara/goza? Tatami are hard to come by in North Queensland- even woven sea grass beachmats have disappeared from the market [cunning fiends, they know'd a wuz a-cummin..]. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS I considered getting some from "Bugei" but the shipping cost would probably be more than the actual wara............:wave:

Maro
28th June 2004, 03:05
They are scarce - we cannot find even the beach mats here in Sydney
:mad:

Jack B
28th June 2004, 15:07
I know a place where you can get really good gyoza.

Seriously, see Article in The Iaido Newsletter (http://ejmas.com/tin/tinart_smith_1103.html)

Cady Goldfield
28th June 2004, 18:08
Thanks for posting the article, Jack. I liked the title.

Jock, what are you doing outside Japan? The kids must miss your 6'6", be-kilted, hairy-legged frame! :p

There may be some import companies in Queensland or other part of Oz that ships gyoza and tatami. Check the Internet. I found a company here in the US that imports, and got tatami from them. There's even a Japanese giftshop near here that sells gyoza, but it's a bit pricey for something that's just going to get hacked to bits. Better to get it wholesale or from a distributer.

Jack B
28th June 2004, 19:57
Originally posted by Cady Goldfield
There may be some import companies in Queensland or other part of Oz that ships gyoza and tatami. Check the Internet. I found a company here in the US that imports, and got tatami from them. There's even a Japanese giftshop near here that sells gyoza, but it's a bit pricey for something that's just going to get hacked to bits. Better to get it wholesale or from a distributer.

Gyoza from a giftshop would be pretty stale, right? And they're hard to eat when you hack them to bits... I just pick them up with chopsticks, dip them in sauce...

Sorry, Cady, couldn't help it!

goza = mats
gyoza = dumplings

:D

Bet you wish E-budo was down again!

Cady Goldfield
28th June 2004, 20:44
Yeah, I'd love to delete the whole board just to get rid of my embarrassing typo. Geez Jack, my brain got washed by reading your post first. The "y" got stuck there.

GOZA, okay? Not to be confused with Gozo...Shioda. :p

jezah81
29th June 2004, 05:17
I live in Brisbane and lucky for me i have a shop real near by that have beach mats. But i have never tried cutting tatami or goza. I would also like to know where i can get some from here in QLD?
Kind regards,
Jeremy Hagop

pgsmith
29th June 2004, 16:05
Thanks for posting the article, Jack. I liked the title.
Thanks for that Cady! Not many people appreciate my rather warped sense of humor. I've gotten a lot more groans for that title than I have praise!

Cheers,

Daniel san
29th June 2004, 16:19
Mr. Smith,
I've read that article before and had no idea you wrote it. Great job. The title is fine.

pgsmith
29th June 2004, 16:44
Thanks Daniel,
I only make my Scouts call me Mr. Smith! :)
Yeah, I've heard that before too. Kim kinda forgot to put up a byline. That's cool though. It wasn't written for any kind of personal recognition anyway.

Cheers,

Cady Goldfield
29th June 2004, 16:48
Paul,
The title had the expected effect on me... I groaned audibly. But, then I laughed, because I enjoy a painful play on words. :D