PDA

View Full Version : Summer time eats

Mekugi
30th June 2004, 04:20
Well,

Summer is here in full swing! It's time for cold green tea, dango, cold noodles, and most importantly, ICECREAM! Japan, I have found, is very liberal with their types of icecream- I can go to the mountains and find sweet potato, apple, tomato and a cornucopia of variants in between relating to countryside fruits and goodies-especially if it's a local farm delight. All are suitable icecream material here, and despite what one may think they often turn out very good.

Just recently in Nagoya I had the pleasure of sampling gobo icecream, which was actually fairly tasty. Gobo is a type of root here, called "Burdock" in the west, that is generally peeled and fried. An unlikely cantidate for icecream, but it actually was made to work.

However, nothing will beat the home-made green tea and vanilla that I love so well!

always,

Tea Guy
2nd July 2004, 01:55
Zarusoba is sounding really good right now....
I might have to get into the kitchen soon.

C.Sieg

A. M. Jauregui
4th July 2004, 16:36
On a cold summer's night, if I am in the mood for Japanese cuisine, it has to be yokan and green tea.

Ken-Hawaii
13th July 2004, 01:54
One of the best things about living in the tropics is that we have a plethora of wonderful fruits to be creative with.

My wife started making ice cream with mangos from our back yard, but we haven't been able to get a single serving from the machine to the freezer so far!

Ken

Tri-ring
19th July 2004, 03:05
Konichiwa Everyone

It is HOT here in Japan, above 30 degrees everyday with humidity over 60 to 70 percent.
Days like this the traditional meal has always been "Somen" or iced chilled noodles. I really don't know of any other dish like this.
Somen noodles boiled then chilled in ice cold water, you pull out a mouth full out of the water and dip into you sauce and slurp it down.
Have fun!!

K.Miwa