PDA

View Full Version : The things you find on e-bay...

Robert Miller
1st July 2004, 00:34
Now THIS (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16044&item=3685743838&rd=1) is funny!

tsurashi shondo
1st July 2004, 03:50
Sad more than funny.:rolleyes:

Shizen
1st July 2004, 22:51
I think the ebay ad is pretty funny.

What's sad is there is a bujinkan dojo (http://www.geocities.com/warrior_sutra/main_page.html) just down the street from this group (taught by an actual bujinkan shidoshi, and not a 7th kyu video tape student "group coordinator")

I think I'll contact them and let them know this.

tsurashi shondo
1st July 2004, 23:59
I think what's sad is that the home-learner kit/program even exists.
However, I am only a lowly kyu rank in this art.....who am I to judge.:(

Shizen
2nd July 2004, 00:14
I think the home-study course is fine. I have all the tapes and books and such, but just use them as suppliments since I just prefer to train in a dojo with a shidoshi.

If they would rather train without a qualified instrutor's guidance, and spend 40$ every 3 months to send a video to be judged in order to earn rank, then fine, but with so many quality dojo in Florida, I don't know why anyone would want to.

And ok, our dojo isn't "right down the road" from them, but it's only 30 miles distant!

I did send a letter to Mr. Tasche, inviting him and his group to our dojo. Whether or not he takes me up on the offer, I'd like to go check out one of their training sessions and see how they're doing.

tsurashi shondo
2nd July 2004, 00:22
My shidoshi produces video learning aids as well, and I do think them to be an awesome supplement to training.
My argument against the video-ranking is that the ranking authority has no way of judging the non-physical development of the student. There is no "community" standard or peer expectations to bond the trainee to the values that Soke wants us to embrace within his budo.
I'm new to the Bujinkan, but not to the martial arts and I just can't see how someone can develop real "tempered" skills without first hand instruction.

Karyu
2nd July 2004, 11:36
Originally posted by Shizen
And ok, our dojo isn't "right down the road" from them, but it's only 30 miles distant!

Heh, I wish I was that close. My dojo is 80 miles away and I go twice a week.

El Guapo-san
2nd July 2004, 23:24
You have a car. I have a bike. Imagine that round trip.

Oh yeah, and there's a train which goes for 97 km of the trip too. I pedal three. But just think of me pedalling 80m (miles, not meters) round trip twice a week.

Get a class with a decent teacher you guys, sheesh...

J. Vlach, Amsterdam