PDA

View Full Version : Shidachi with boken

Liam Cognet
4th July 2004, 23:59
I asked my sensei if there are any kenjutsu kata other than the 12 in Shinto Muso Ryu which came from Katori Shinto Ryu. He said no, however, the jo side of Shinto Muso Ryu kata can be replaced with a boken thus converting all jo kata into kenjutsu kata.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

gmlc123
5th July 2004, 00:36
Liam

Do you study the Jo? it sounds like you only train in SMR kenjutsu not Jodo?

AFAIK the kenjutsu kata is not from Katori Tenshin Shinto Ryu origins. Kaminoda Sensei has written some articles, and has a book in Japanese, that explains his views on the origins of the kenjutsu. Not that I subscribe too them, all conjecture IMHO.

Greg

Liam Cognet
5th July 2004, 04:37
Greg,

I study MJER Iaido and Shinto Muso Ryu Jodo. I stduied sword before jo so I know more of the SMR kenjutsu kata than I do of the SMR jo kata.

Jeff Hamacher
5th July 2004, 04:52
Originally posted by Liam Cognet
He said ... the jo side of Shinto Muso Ryu kata can be replaced with a boken thus converting all jo kata into kenjutsu kata. Has anyone had any experience with this?

how exactly would this "replacement" be accomplished? speaking frankly, i don't see the sense in even trying, but i'd be interested to hear more if only for the sake of sheer curiosity.

Andy Watson
5th July 2004, 13:10
I am sure that all the katas could be modified to accomodate tachi vs tachi although you would lose all the benefits of using the jo i.e.
+ it's increased length
+ ability to use both ends
+ ability to reinforce strikes and thrusts with a sliding hand

Furthermore, I am sure there are some sword exercises on which time would be better spent in order to make one a better swordsman rather than bastardising techniques which are jo specific.

And yes I know that the SR Kenjutsu includes techniques that are used in jodo but that doesn't necessarily mean that all techniques are so transferrable.

Does it?

Liam Cognet
5th July 2004, 23:47
I've never done this myself, I've just heard that it can be done. Most techniques would have to be altered but it should work in theory.