PDA

View Full Version : Favourite thing about Okinawan Karate

Timothy.G.B.
8th July 2004, 18:58
In my experience, Okinawan schools are different than Japanese schools (although I am sure there are exceptions in both cases) and wondered what people liked about the Okinawan karate they are learning.

I trained for a long time in Japanese karate,with Japanese style classes (i.e. military-like) and, so, one of my favourite things about the Okinawan dojo that I am learning in is the non-military atmosphere, focusing on individual students' training.

Just curious what people like the most about training in Okinawan karate?

Tim Black

dori_kin_86
9th July 2004, 06:06
I like Okinawan karate because of a couple of reasons. I haven't trained in a Japanese dojo inviroment, but I like the Okinawan way of doing things in the dojo than the Japanese as far as Karate goes. I like Okinawan Karate because it is more fluid than Japanese styles like Shotokan, and it is less rigid. I like the concept of bunkai too.

tallpaul50
10th July 2004, 18:03
There are several things I like about Okinawan karate versus Japanese/Korean systems. As stated previously, the classes are more relaxed and less like military basic training. Even having worked with the head of the system several times, there was no bowing and scraping or butt-kissing other than bowing in at the beginning/end of class, and during kata practice. heck, I and my instructor even took this fine gentleman out for a beer after class! try that with most masters! lol

Another thing I really appreciate about my Okinawan system is there is no wasted movements. We are quick and place emphasis on shifting the body away from the attack (or slipping under it) and using your opponents momentum and force against them. We never resist force with force.

I could probably write a novel on why I like Shorinryu (29+ years now) as opposed to any other system I've seen to date..but let's just say that I'm a believer! lol:D

Old Dragon
11th July 2004, 08:44
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tallpaul50
As stated previously, the classes are more relaxed and less like military basic training. Even having worked with the head of the system several times, there was no bowing and scraping or butt-kissing other than bowing in at the beginning/end of class, and during kata practice. heck, I and my instructor even took this fine gentleman out for a beer after class! try that with most masters! lol

Another thing I really appreciate about my Okinawan system is there is no wasted movements. We are quick and place emphasis on shifting the body away from the attack (or slipping under it) and using your opponents momentum and force against them. We never resist force with force.

QUOTE]

Tall paul50.

I agree, and along with the relaxed atsmophere comes the one on one teaching. I have met many Japanese Sensei that teach "classes" My okinawan sensei and the sensei i have that trained in Okinawa for 8 or 9 years tend to teach a class and after wave you over and begin teaching one on one things they saw in class. Both these men have invited me to their home and we have trained one on one in the yard or "hombu" dojo. These wonderful people who see the teacher student relationship different from the Japanese.

Once when one of them came to visit we worked all day with one of my students, after dinner a visitor sensei had brought came to my student and started doing one of the exercises with him in the house. My student was startled saying "whats he doing? " I said.. he cant speak english, and hes trying to talk to you ............... do the drill............. they had a wonderful time for a few hours and with pictures and broken japanese and english talked about everything from "chi" to " their kids"

Mike O'leary

M.C. Busman
20th July 2004, 07:01
What Paul Weed said...

Booty-smooching is just a waste of time.

I enjoy the efficient movements, lack of overt militarism, and the fact that part of the Okinawa practice is acknowledging that change and innovation are one of the greatest parts of "tradition".

We're losing some of the easy-goin'-just-work-hard attitude because it's more efficient to run a bigger class in a military fashion (bigger class=more $$$). That is what happens when people decide to try making a living at it, although it doesn't have to be that way.

Okinawans seem closer to the ~practical~ idea of modifying techniques for the individual at an earlier stage in training, as opposed to waiting until the 3rd or 4th dan level in the more militaristic traditions (Japanese/Korean) before the individual is encourages to modify & experiment. Not saying other styles can't or don't tailor to the individual--it's just not something one often sees in a TKD or Shotokan school where the teacher wants everyone moving in coreographed synchronicity. That I think, is the essential difference between militaristic-type karate (Tang Soo Do, Kyokushinkai) vs. community-type karate (Matsumura Shorin-ryu, Okinawa no Goju-ryu).