PDA

View Full Version : This will either die or...

MarkF
28th October 2000, 09:53
not, but a thread in gendai gave me the idea. Someone asked about iaido, and one of the replies was to post it in the sword forum to get more replies to the topic (see the thread in gendai, if necessary). My first instinct was to say it was not getting many answers because koryu practitioners rarely "slide in the ooze" of gendai arts. Is it true that koryu practitioners really ARE snobs?

Anyway, I was thinking of kime no kata and goshin jutsu of Kodokan Judo (after all, the name itself describes what it really is) and the stick/sword, eg, nuki kake (unsheathing and defense of it) and kirioroshi and defense of this, although a stick is used and is what the SD is about, a sword could easily take the place of that stick.

I use a stick and cane for some of these purposes, but I have neve done, or have I ever known any judoka who may have used any type of ken (bokken or bakuto) for these kata. Anyone have any hands on experience with these waza as it relates to a sword?

This is where I begin to wonder whether this will die on the vine, or get me lots of hate mail for the koryu "slur."

:saw:

Mark

MarkF
28th October 2000, 09:56
Let's see, the koryu comment was meant for those who slide in here occasionally (Guy, Earl, John, and any others I don't remember at the moment.:D )

efb8th
28th October 2000, 21:31
Hi, Mark.

I never considered NOT using a bokken in Nuki Kake. If you close quickly enough, it is very effective, and it works very well with or without the jacket with only minor adjustment of the shime grip. The rising of uke's arm snugs the very quick choke much like the same action works in kataha jime. I recently ('97) included this art in an all-styles welcome jujitsu kata contest. (I asked the head judge if he considered Kodokan Judo to be a school of jujitsu. He did.) The Godan division required a weapon art.
The rest is history.

Regards,

MarkF
29th October 2000, 05:49
No on out there has tired to side step a downward slash and apply hara gatame? Few, I suppose. This would be asking too much, I guess.

God, some one who actually can demonstrate the technique. Thanks, Ed.

Mark

efb8th
29th October 2000, 14:52
OK, Mark.

I have taught (and therefore demonstrated) Kiri-oroshi. It is dependant on the swordsman's skill level being, shall we say "unsophisticated." That said, the only hope I would have of pulling it off would be getting well inside long sword range (a savvy swordsman would retreat and strike hands) and waiting for the change in direction of the cut. At this point the hara gatame is effortless and natural.

But as Trevor Legget once told Phil Porter in a training session at the Budokwai, "If a man comes at you with a sword, he's GOING TO CUT YOUR HEAD OFF!"

Regards,

MarkF
30th October 2000, 08:06
Well, these days, "o sensei" moves at lghtening speed when they come for him.

Hell, I think they will do the same thing to me if they come wielding a nail file, but I was curious if anyone had taught it as deomonstrated a long time ago.

We can let it die now.:)

Mark