PDA

View Full Version : Why are Sumo wrestlers fat?

Shin Buke
10th July 2004, 07:27
This is something that just popped into my head. Keep in mind I know pretty much nothing about Sumo. To me, Sumo involves very large men leaning on each other and grabbing each others' g-strings until one of them gets tossed out of the ring. ^_~

The Japanese have such a deep martial cutlure that has created some excellent systems. Many of these systems focus on amplifying strength through leverage and/or were created to allow smaller, perhaps weaker opponents to defeat much larger and stronger opponents. Because of this, it baffles me as to why the Japanese developed a system whereby it's practitioners seek to gain new and obscene levels of body mass perceivably to gain an advantage over their opponents. Why did they do this?

I'm probably missing something that the rest of you who are knowledgable about Sumo are aware of. Is there some history behind Sumo that explains this? Or perhaps it was something religious?

In any case, your information is much appreciated. ^_^

Matt Molloy
10th July 2004, 08:04
"Why are Sumo wrestlers fat?"

If addressed to a Sumo wrestler face to face, and depending on the tone of voice, I think that this could possibly be the bravest question I have ever heard. :laugh:

Cheers,

Matt.

Shin Buke
10th July 2004, 09:08
ROFL! :laugh:

6 Pack
10th July 2004, 19:42
I wouldn't call them fat, I would call them chubby.

6 Pack
10th July 2004, 19:45
Okay, they're fat!:D

Harkonen
12th July 2004, 12:17
Originally posted by Matt Molloy
[B]"Why are Sumo wrestlers fat?"

If addressed to a Sumo wrestler face to face, and depending on the tone of voice, I think that this could possibly be the bravest question I have ever heard. :laugh: [B]

I agree to that.. :D

//Marko

Kenseii
12th July 2004, 13:56
They're not fat. They're big boned.

Beefcake!!

Seriouusly I understand the question. Although advantageous to adegree, surly massiv levels of muscle gain (WWE wrestler style) would better serve them (greater power-mas ratio, and more agility).

I imagine that since Sumo was around before the days of anabolic steroids and the like that it was the only way for the "relatively" small japanese to get an advantage over their opponents, an has since become a tradition (wea ll know how fixed Japanese traditions can be in the martial arts.)

MikeWilliams
12th July 2004, 17:25
I think it's just a function of the rules.

There are plenty of techniques that rely on kuzushi, and redirection of energy - but all other things being equal, it pays to have a low centre of gravity. (Tall judoka who have to fight shorter, stocky guys will know what I mean).

Sumotori have become much bigger over the years: if you see old footage from the 50s or 60s, some of those dudes are almost svelte. But in the absence of weight categories, it just makes sense to even out the playing field by piling on the pounds.

Where this cycle will end, who knows?

shinbushi
13th July 2004, 02:04
Because it is easily to gain weight quickly that way as opposed to taking vitamin S like WWE wrestlers do.

Ien
13th July 2004, 09:03
Sumo Wrestlers are not fat.
They are big, but most of the mass is actually muscle. Most of the Sumotori have a lower percentage of body fat than the average Japanese Salaryman, and they`re a lot slimmer than your average American. It`s just not the ultra-toned, body builder type muscle.

2 reasons, first different body shape, a low centre of gravity is required so a pear shape is better than an upside down triangle, and secondly charging head on into a 200kg opponent requires a certain softness and flexibility, no grid-iron padding allowed here. Most bodybuilder types would simply snap.

As an aside, I think the current size of wrestlers has a lot to do with the foriegners in the game. Kinishiki, Akebono and Musashimaru were giants, and the Japanese had to get bigger to compete. Kokai looks like heading down the same route. Luckily with more Mongolian wrestlers in the sport your seeing a return to skill over size. Hopefully the Japanese will realise this.

Try to look beyond the size and appreciate sumo for what it is, a truly great combat sport.

Eynon Phillips

shinbushi
13th July 2004, 17:37
Originally posted by Ien
Sumo Wrestlers are not fat.
2 reasons, first different body shape, a low centre of gravity is required so a pear shape is better than an upside down triangle, and secondly charging head on into a 200kg opponent requires a certain softness and flexibility, no grid-iron padding allowed here. Most bodybuilder types would simply snap.

I seriously doubt that WWE guys would just snap. Given it is sports entertainment but those just do go through a lot of punishment for the show. I just cannot stand it. And yes by BMI Sumotori are fat. Lots of muscle too. I used to work out with some Sumotori in a gym in Ryogoku and though they are not blubbery fat they are fat more like gristle.

Jade
13th July 2004, 19:16
I don't know much about Sumo (though I enjoy watching it). But it seems logical to me that a heavier guy would be harder to push/throw/lift out of the ring. Simply more mass to move. I'm sure the sumotori build their muscles as much as possible, but if you can then throw on another X kilos of fat, you're just that much harder to move.

Does that make sense?

Carlton
14th July 2004, 15:17
The picture is a good example of a more streamed lined Sumo. The rules in sumo do not permit you to engage your opponent like in a Judo match. The initial impact of the two flying masses is usually what determines the outcome of the match. Sumos impact harder than any other sport. They hit harder than NFL football players. The center of gravity, due to the weight distribution on a sumos body, is thought to be more square. Imagine a Tipi(plains Indian tent-like structure)- A sumo would a tipi set up correctly; wide base and a narrow top. If you take the base of the tipi, move the poles closer to the center at the base, this would create less balance.
Sumo has a pear shaped torso as a bodybuilder has a v-shaped torso. The V-shape gives you less mass the closer to the center of gravity you get. Like a toy top has the least amount of mass toward the bottom allowing for it to be toppled over easily.
The photo is of Yokozuna(retired) Chiyonofuji. He's less fat, than many sumos were, allowing him to be quicker.

Mekugi
14th July 2004, 16:15
There are two common "body classes" of O'sumo san: "soup" type and "fish" type they call them (not unlike the "Raccoon Dog" (http://www.ingo-bartussek.de/Photos/RACCOON-DOG/0022628wz.jpg) type and "Fox" type used to describe women's faces). "Soup" type are generally leaner than the "Fish Type"- both based on the shapes of the meat you find in their most delicious chanko nabe (if you ever get to visit a stable, do hope they serve you Chanko). Soup types are named after the chicken used to make the broth in the Chanko, fish types are named after the plump fish that are put in (ohh....so tasty).

Either way we're talking about a dysplastic somatype of endomorph and mesomorph, which are thick, generally sinewy and extremely strong, when it comes down to it.

Take Asashoryu ("Morning Blue Dragon" pictured below - who had his first lose in a while recently) from Mongolia...not unlike Chiyonofuji ("Thousand Generations Fuji", who is now an Oyakata). He is definitely a meso-endo somatype.

MikeWilliams
14th July 2004, 22:12
Originally posted by Carlton
The photo is of Yokozuna(retired) Chiyonofuji. He's less fat, than many sumos were, allowing him to be quicker.

I first started watching sumo when Chyonofuji was at his peak. He was always awesome to watch. Being small (for a sumotori), he used great technique, kuzushi, maai etc. to win his bouts. Either that, or he would just stare people down and intimidate the hell out of them. Pure focused intensity. Fantastic stuff, and we'll not see his like again.

Mekugi
15th July 2004, 01:31
There will only be one Chiyonofuji, but he is teaching now and influencing a whole new generation of sumotori. I agree that his approach and effect on Sumo will forever be revered in the sport, however I do believe the new generation is out to keep to his standard and elevate it inside the dohyo.

Originally posted by MikeWilliams
I first started watching sumo when Chyonofuji was at his peak. He was always awesome to watch. Being small (for a sumotori), he used great technique, kuzushi, maai etc. to win his bouts. Either that, or he would just stare people down and intimidate the hell out of them. Pure focused intensity. Fantastic stuff, and we'll not see his like again.

Stéphan Thériault
31st July 2004, 01:01
As to the reason of a sumotori's corpulance, this is due to their post morning training meal. As I understand it, this is very large and calorie rich, it is then followed by a four hour nap. Add to which when a sumotori wants to go shopping or to see some kabuki in the evening he no longer has to walk like in the old days.

Also I don't know if this applies, but there was a show on gladiators a while back where they talked about how the gladiators carried around some extra padding. The reason for this was that the extra body fat provide a shock absorbtion factor.

the Khazar Kid
2nd October 2004, 04:35
www.iowastrong.com/tube.html

This explains some of the physics behind a thick-waisted shape for generating power. Not unique to Japanese rikishi, plenty of oldtime strongmen, powerlifters, Olympic weighlifters and wrestlers, Scottish Highland Games athletes, American football players etc. train to be shaped like this. The Hindu pulwans talk about the "body of one color", and the Okinawan bushi about "chizu-kon-kon".

One Olympic gold medal weightlifter many years back was famous for lifting the weight in a sort of S-shape. Everyone studied his technique to try to lift as much as him but without success. Eventually it turned out that the only reason he lifted the weight in this unique fashion was to heave it over his humongous "hara"!

Personally, I'm happy to be sinewy and wiry. But if the "Muscle Fairy" told me I would suddenly wake up one morning with double my body mass and strength (none of my clothes would fit anymore, this wouldn't be all that desireable a state!) and I got to pick what shape this would take, I would much rather be a thick-bodied rugged bear-like Strong Man than one of the hairless steroid-pumped malformed muscle monsters on the covers of all the magazines.

Jesse Peters