I was wondering if anyone can provide info on the
Kiraku Ryu? I am interested in its history and
technical content. I heard that it has a vast array
of technique. Thanks.

James Feliciano

Richard A Tolson
29th October 2000, 16:23
James,
The books GOKUI SODEN DAI ICHI MAKI and HIBUKI NO SUBETE GA WAKARU HON have quite a bit of information on Kiraku-ryu empty-hand fightings and weapons. The books are available from Mugendo Budogu at http://www.budogu.com

Richard A Tolson
31st October 2000, 06:21
There seem to be similarities between Kiraku-ryu and Araki-ryu. Both in techniques and strategy. Is anyone aware of a link?

Stéphan Thériault
31st October 2000, 07:03
Mr.Tolson,

Mr.Ellis Amdur wrote about this in issue #9 of Furyu. He says:

"There was considerable cross-communication between the Araki-ryu and the Kiraku-ryu. These two martial systems had an extremely close relationship in the Isezaki area. The historical records of both schools are full of names in common: Arai, Kikuchi, Suzuki. It is highly likely that brothers and cousins were members of each school, or studied both. Kamae(stances) with weapons are similar. There are even kata held in common-one of the most well known kata of the Isezaki Kiraku-ryu bojutsu(long staff fighting) is also practiced by the Araki-ryu, and one of the Araki-ryu nagamaki(a massive glaive) forms is preserved by the Chichibu Kiraku-ryu, a faction several hundred miles away from Isezaki."

I hope this answers your question. Although I am sure mr.Amdur could probably provide more info.

Richard A Tolson
31st October 2000, 07:31
Stephan,
Thank you for the information! This is very helpful.

CKohalyk
31st October 2000, 20:41
Minna-san hisashiburi,

Also check out Yamada Minoru's YAWARA. It has an entire chapter dedicated to Kiraku-ryu.

The Budokan video is pretty good, but it demonstrates only Joshuu-den Kiraku-ryu. Those old guys are pretty amazing!!

James, how come you became interested in K-ryu? Do you have a chance to study it? With who and where?

Regards,

CKohalyk

Haimeman
31st October 2000, 23:38
Hi everyone,

No, i never had the oppritunity to study an authentic
Koryu. I have studied Judo for the last 10 years and Muy Thai before that. I have long felt that Gendai Budo is
missing much and I have long held an admiration for the
koryu. I train in Judo and Thai boxing in a very intense
manner but I also love researching the history and
cullture of various Koryu. Maybe one day I will be lucky enough to study Koryu but I would probably spend the next
5 years looking for the right teacher. I don't wanna be
a misinformed fool when I go to Japan looking, so I have
spent the last 3 years doing research. I am in no hurry
as I plan to make a lifelong study once I find the right
Sensei. No rush , no hurry. Before i go to study Koryu
I wish to have a strong foundation in Nihongo as well.
So right now, I'm just a researcher but i wish to one
day become a serious beginner in an authentic Ryu of
Jujutsu. Thanks.

James Feleciano

Richard A Tolson
1st November 2000, 05:35
C.K.,
Thanks for the info! Do you know how I can obtain a copy of YAWARA?

CKohalyk
1st November 2000, 22:59
Mr. Tolson,

Eeeeeee???.... I have no idea. I bought mine at Maruzen in Kyoto at the recommendation of my sensei(one of Yamada's students). I think it's a BAB book, but I'll check at home tonight.

The chapter is on Chichibu [Bushuu-den] Kiraku-ryu. It talks about history etc. Very informative.

As for info on the Joshuu-den, I think Iwai writes a bit about it in his HIBUKI book. There is nothing to my knowledge written about the Kanra lineage, of which if I recall there is only one person left who retains the entire system (and he is very old). I think Ellis Amdur is the only English speaking writer who has produced anything on K-Ryu, besides a cameo in one of Meik Skoss' articles (Sticks & Stones). Otherwise there is not too much out there for, IMHO, a very interesting ryu.

Ganbareya!!

CK

Richard A Tolson
2nd November 2000, 06:25
CK,
Thanks for the added info! Peter Boylan has informed me that he can get this video series for me.

CKohalyk
2nd November 2000, 21:18
Alrighty, full title of the book is:

YAWARA: Shirarezaru Nihon Jujutsu no Sekai

-Yamada Minoru

It IS a BAB Japan book. It was put out in '97. The section on K-ryu is 28 pages long with a few pictures.

By the way, has anybody ever met Yamada Minoru? I missed him while I was in Tokyo because he was off teaching Yamato-do. He seems like a pretty amazing guy. Does anybody know anything about him?

Best,

CK

Richard A Tolson
3rd November 2000, 06:24
C.K.,
You seem to forget that you are talking to a doofus. :) What is a BAB book?

Harold James
4th November 2000, 01:32
One word of caution about Mr. Yamada's book, it has all of about 15 pictures (mostly historical pictures) and the book is in Japanese. If you don't read Japanese (and read it well, as this sort of thing uses a lot of old Kanji and specialized words) it isn't going to be of much help other than for collecting dust on the book shelf.

Unless there is an English Translation of it somewhere...

pboylan
4th November 2000, 23:30
Hi Richard,

BAB is a Japanese magazine, book and video publisher/producer. The Budokan Koryu Budo Video Series is distributed by them. They also have produced a huge variety of martial arts and sports videos and books. HIBUHIN NO SUBETE NO WAKARU GA HON is published by them. I'v actually got a couple of copies of YAWARA lieing around here somewhere. I've never gotten around to putting it on the site because it's all Japanese with just a few pictures.

Peter Boylan
Mugendo Budogu LLC
http://budogu.com

Richard A Tolson
5th November 2000, 05:35
Peter,
Thanks for the info!