PDA

View Full Version : Techniques from Shorinji Kemp that went into Shorinjiryu Kenyukai Karatedo

Shorinjiryu
30th October 2000, 00:25
I study Shorinjiryu Kenyukai Karate. One of the styles that Shihan Kori Hisataka incorporated into Kenyukai Karate was Shorinji Kempo, which he learned in china. I am doing a little research to try and see exactly what techniques and movements he took from shorinji kempo. Does anyone have any idea of the specific techniques he took? Domo Arrigato- Owen Whitehurst

hsuntzu
30th October 2000, 05:40
Doing a quick web search, I found this site...
http://members.home.net/tsushin/welcome.html
Reading the description there, seems like your Shihan Hisataka learned something in China. That would be one of the Shaolin martial art or kung fu.... not Shorinji Kempo.

So, for your research, you probably will get more information from someone that practices the Chinese martial arts... though there are many styles and may be difficult unless you can narrow it down.

"Shorinji Kempo" is a Japanese Martial Art started by So Doshin after World War II. Its roots can be traced to the Chinese martial arts, but it is something different. Please see the World Shorinji Kempo Organization headquarter's page at:
http://www.shorinjikempo.or.jp/wsko/
as well as the various Shorinji Kempo branch/club's web-pages that's referenced in this topic.

There is a general confusion about the use of the name "Shorinji Kempo." Many people do use the name to really mean one of the Chinese martial arts; which technically is incorrect, and could cause some problems since "Shorinji Kempo" is a trademarked name by the World Shorinji Kempo Organization.

Sorry I can't help much.

slait
7th November 2000, 09:49
I found the site where Doshin So is mentioned as student of Kori Histaka.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/jeffrey.muir/jeffkdev.htm

Shorinjiryu
7th November 2000, 19:37
In many things that I read there is a direct reference to 'Chinese Shorinji Kempo' I guess in your view this does not exist, but this is what I have found. I'm not sure about Doshin So being a student of Hisataka sensei, but i will check.

Anders Pettersson
7th November 2000, 23:27
Hi Owen.

Of course it exist, but it is a little difficult to clarify what we talk about.

When people refer to 'Chinese Shorinji Kempo' in my ears that sound a little strange. But I guess if a Japanese person says it and then it's translated it can come out this way.

Shorinji Kempo is the Japanese pronunciation of '<I>Shaolin temple fist-method</I>', the name <B>"Shorinji Kempo"</B> is in Japan, and in many other countries, a protected trademark of the Shorinji Kempo Federation in Japan (Zaidan Hojin Shorinji Kempo Renmei), which I think is what Karahashi-san is referring to.

The fact that the teacher you mentioned, Kori Histaka, studied Chinese Shaolin fighting methods is surely true. But it has nothing to do with the Japanese art of Shorinji Kempo. I think that it only gets mixed up because of the problem for Japanese people to differ from Shorinji and Shaolinssu, if written with kanji it’s the same thing.

So sometimes people means the Shaolin temple in China and its fighting methods, but if a Japanese person says it, he says <I>Shorinji</I>, but it is not the same as Shorinji Kempo.
Kempo/kenpo is a quite common word used for fist-method or "fighting art/system", so it's easy to mix things up.

I have never heard that So Doshin should have been a student of this man, but will try to look in to it deeper.

I'm not sure if this makes it any clearer, but hopefully (I sometimes have difficulties in expressing and explain things in English, since it is not my native language). :)

Shorinjiryu
7th November 2000, 23:58
Actually it helps very much, domo arrigato. I have heard shaolin fighting style as a loose translation to many japanese terms. The kanji issue helps clear it all up however. Everywhere i have looked i have found no reference of Doshin So being a student of Hisataka. It may be possible that they trained together but i doubt that Doshin So actually studied under Hisataka