PDA

View Full Version : What do you look for in a good warm-up?

Robdawson_
22nd July 2004, 23:29
Gassho,

So then, having just been told to take warm-up in the class I just got back from, I thought I would seek out other peoples opinions as to what they consider a good warm-up to be. Naturally, a lot depends on the topic being focused on in the class, the age of the class, and other such variables, but what would you all say should be the average warm-up, if such a concept can exist?

I just got everyone moving, waited until sweat started forming, made sure all major bits had been moved, and then did basic stretching. However I think there is a school of thought that says stretching should be done after exercise, ie: after the end of the session as a warm down. When do you do stretching? How long does your warm-up last? What is the difference between your warm-up and warm-down? What key areas should always be concentrated on, and what is the best way to warm them?

I would be interested to see what sort of replies I get back, I know there is a lot of information on the internet available, but just because it is there, doesn't necessarily mean its good information. I know sports science is fairly developed in recomendations for warm-ups for various sports, is there one for Martial Arts, and if so, to what extent would you consider it to be valid for Shorinji Kempo?

Kesshu,

David Dunn
23rd July 2004, 10:28
Can of worms time eh Rob? Personally I think ten minutes of making sure everything is limbered up is sufficient. The no static stretching before kihon school of thought seems sensible, but no one has actually convinced me yet that it is positively detrimental. I save things like kentate, situps, squats etc to seiri taiso, if at all (I prefer tanen hokei or balancing practice for keri).

The taisabaki of shorinji kempo should be sufficiently natural that you don't need to limber up too much. It should be just like walking samurai style :D

Here's a thread to save the worms:
http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=18763

MikeCarew
23rd July 2004, 11:17
Rob

Keep it simple. The point of warmup is to prevent injuries. Consider that you will want to get blood from the internal organs to the muscle. Sounds like you did. Get everything to move raound and as pointed out, save the fitness work till later. Why kill them before the training session. Do that at the end.

There is plenty of material on the web to look at. It is well worth the time.

Mike Carew

Ade
23rd July 2004, 11:21
Heavy breathing and wet foreheads for all, and sometimes a slight involuntary muscle spasming trembling amongst the juniors, like a race horse before the off!
:mst:

Robdawson_
23rd July 2004, 14:17
Gassho,

That old thread was prettty useful, whch should give me a few ideas what to start looking for on the internet, cheers,

Kesshu,

David Dunn
23rd July 2004, 15:55
Of course you should never overlook the "Georgee shuffle"

No smutty double entrendres...

Ewok
23rd July 2004, 16:14
I thought I would seek out other peoples opinions as to what they consider a good warm-up to be.

If your all nice and warm afterwards you've done a good job! Maybe get an inflatable ball and get a game of volleyball or dadgeball happening for 10mins to get people moving about.

Steve Williams
26th July 2004, 21:08
Originally posted by Ade
Heavy breathing and wet foreheads for all, and sometimes a slight involuntary muscle spasming .....

Sounds like a whole different type of "training" to me ;)