PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarians-can they be trusted?

Margaret Lo
30th October 2000, 16:51
Excluding only the Dalai Lama, buddhist monks and much of the population of India, can anyone truly trust a vegetarian?

After all how can one trust people who: invented the tofu burger, have no turkey at Thanksgiving (ok I eat duck instead - but whatever!) and don't understand that tofu goes with pork! :D

M

Mark Brecht
30th October 2000, 16:59
:D Hey, you can not trust anything they put in front of you...

I ate quite a lot of Peking Ducks when i lived in the US, but i doubt even one of them actually spoke chinese...

kenkyusha
30th October 2000, 17:06
I lived for a while at a Buddhist Meditation center in Vermont... the kitchen staff developed a saying, "Its us versus the vegetarians, so be careful out there" :D.

Actually though, there are finally some decent veggie alternatives being produced, so when my training partners (1 veggie, one chicken and fish only and 1 omnivore) come over we can offer some variety. Its a dang site better than only being able to offer some tofu or (Mephistophele's contribution to the gustatory arts) seitan.

Be well,
Jigme

(BTW, what do you call a fried seitan sandwich? Breaded bread on bread)

john mark
30th October 2000, 19:07
Originally posted by Margaret Lo
Excluding only the Dalai Lama, buddhist monks and much of the population of India, can anyone truly trust a vegetarian?

Why exclude the Dalai Lama ... and much of the population of India? I don't trust anybody unless they wear animal skins OR eat meat. I guess a vegatarin in fur is OK with me.

Have you tried the fake barbeque meats made out of tofu? Yech!!

Earl Hartman
30th October 2000, 19:21
I am a member of PETA:

P eople for the
E ating of
T asty
A nimals

Earl

Alacoque
31st October 2000, 10:22
What's the point of being at the top of the food chain, unless you eat meat?

kusanku
1st November 2000, 01:28
I have no brief with vegetarians, that is no problems, until and unless they proudly annunce unto yours truly, that:'I am a Vegetarian', with the caps audible, as though being a Vegetarian or a Vegan or a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian is a Religion, and the implication that they are superior to those of us who are of the meat eating or omnivorous, Shotokan wielding, hamburger quaffing persuasion.:D

I always ask them if they already didn't have a religion?

It isn't an issue with me until they make it one, and the trouble is they always do.

It's like joggers used to be; "I'm a Runner.'No, you're not, you're a bump up and down hopper on two legs.Your kidneys will be gone at the same time as your knees. If you're gonna run, run, if you're gonna eat, eat, stop futzing around with it.Hey, that almost sounded Zen or something!:-)

Don't try to convert me, I already follow the Way of Omnivory.

Nice to see you on here, Margaret.

Interesting place, e-budo. Much better than them rowdies on AMAKS.:D

Basically, my take on food is such that:
If it doesn't get out of the area quickly enough, is edible, delightful visually, aroma wise and gustatorily,
and is well cooked and prepared,
it best prepare to be consumed.

[Edited by kusanku on 10-31-2000 at 07:30 PM]

Margaret Lo
1st November 2000, 16:11
Hello Genjumin - I like it better here since there is a food forum. Anyway, AMAKS was tired out with the same old arguments. Here, I have a whole new world of non-shotokan business to lurk about and pry into - altogether more interesting.

Agreed that most have gripes with vegetarians really over the connotation of political superiority that is often implied. Actually the vegetarians I know aren't that way.

Actually, I've corrupted a few vegetarians, (2 down, 2 more to go) who find it hard to stick to such a diet and train full bore in karate. :)

M

kusanku
1st November 2000, 16:35
Hello, Margaret!
As I said, delightful to see you here!Nice to run into friends.:-)

'Actually I have corrupted two vegetarians(two down and two to go) who find it difficult to train full bore in karate and not eat meat'

or words to this effect.

Well done, Margaret, well done!:-)

Seems many find this to be so, hard, very hard to train hard in karate on a low protein diet.

Before anyone says anything about a Buddhist Monk, the Shaolin ate meat.

Also when blocking hard, vegetarians tend to lump up worse than those who partak of the protein component more, even if it be chicken, for instance.

Now I 've tried it both ways, and I say this: I you have any blood sugar imbalance, don't try to go total veg,while using soy, for instace, it can be done, it usually is not a good idea.

Some people sincerely believe thay are oing to become healthier this way, and wind up not getting the proper nutrients needed.

If you are gonna veg, and don't live where everyone has soyaburgers, what exactly, are you going to replace the protein from meat that you Used to eat, with?

Newsflash, greens alone will not do it.

kenkyusha
1st November 2000, 17:18
Originally posted by Margaret Lo
[snip]
:D

M
One more thing,

Most of the monastic population of Tibet does eat meat (well, at least in Kham). The diet there consists of barley, yak butter, and meat (since its hard to grow stuff at that elevation and in the cold).

Mo-mos (which are becoming ubiquitous here in Boston due to the influx of Tibetan refugees in the last 8-10 years) are a prime example of a meaty treat... just add hot sauce!

Be well,
Jigme