PDA

View Full Version : Different Kamae te

Timothy.G.B.
27th July 2004, 18:30
What do you use your kamae te for?

Let me explain what I mean by kamae te. For example, at the beginning of Jion (in some schools) people stand with their hands in a position like this shape /\ with one hand covering the fist of the other hand (fists at the top of the /\ not the bottom). If you do this why do you do it and if you do other kamae te, why and what for?

Thanks in advance,
Tim Black

Gene Williams
27th July 2004, 21:35
There are several kata with a specific kamae. We begin Jion, Jitte, and Jutte similarly but by circling the hand in the fist around and over to sternum height with a pressing motion at the end to indicate a kote mawashi or a kote osae. Kosokun Dai begins with open hands forming a triangle and being raised above the head, etc. Some of these are merely ritualistic, some symbolize an application of some type.

CEB
27th July 2004, 22:30
Kamaete is a command I use which means to assume what ever kamae it was that I asked for. Naotte is a command which basic mean go back to as you were, or leave whatever kamae you find yourself in. Handy stuff if you are trying train 20 people at the same time.

As far as kamae, Williams Sensei pretty much covered it. Don't know what to say other than there are a lot of kamae with many different purposes. Depends on the Kamae and there are a lot of them. We end all of our kata with one kamae in particular. Some may call it a mudra. It may be the most recognized movement in Okinawian Kata. Most of you guys even start your Naihanchi thingies with it. Some start your Rohai and Gojushiho thingies with it also. I'm taught it comes from China. Evolved from the hand sign of the Ming. Has to do with hand signs from old Chinese secret societies days. It represented the Sun and Moon in its original form. Why?, because Ming thought of themselves as enlightened and What lights the Earth?, The Sun and Moon. Does it have practical application in kata? Yes. Did it always? I don't know. Did it orginally? I personally doubt it, but hell I don't know.

A thought provoking article from Mr. Gary Gablehouse, I guess that depends on the mind of he who reads it. But I really appreciated his efforts. (http://www.gojuryu.net/esoterickata.htm)