PDA

View Full Version : Nagao Ryu/Takenouchi Ryu demonstration!

Daniel Lee
31st October 2000, 01:50
Sunday 22nd of October was the day the 20th Student Kobudo Taikai was held at KIT (Kanazawa Institute of Technology). Students from KIT, Okayama and the Kansai areas came to perform demonstrations, with shorinji kenpo, jodo, okinawa kobudo, takenouchi-ryu and nagao-ryu being performed.

The nagao-ryu was performed by a group of approximately 50 - 60 students of Shimeno-S (shihan and author of books on nagao-ryu and the history of martial arts in the kaga domain), who demonstrated unarmed against sword from a variety of positions, the use of a large "tekkan" iron ring, iaijutsu/toyama ryu battojutsu, bojutsu, women's self defence and naginata. There was some explanation of inyo-jutsu as practiced by the school also. Terry Foster, one of less than a handful of non-Japanese to study the system, demonstrated as a group member with iaijutsu and taijutsu.

Jodo was demonstrated by Kansai University's Jodo group, with omote, chudan, ran-ai and samidare being demonstrated by some highly skilled practitioners.

Matsumoto-S's pupils from two universities in Okayama prefecture and demonstrated koshinomawari, saite (kenjutsu), bojutsu (omote, ura and oku) and joshi goshinjutsu as well as taijutsu.

What a pleasure it was to watch so many young men and women demonstrating kobudo with so much spirit and developed technique. These arts will be passed very healthily to the next generation!

This was just a quick review FYI.

shieldcaster
15th October 2004, 06:07
Well, guess I missed out on that one, eh? How internal, as far as you know, is Nagao-ryu? You mentioned inyo-jutsu; I did a bit of a Google search for that and got some BS ninja story site. I know that inyo is yin/yang, so I can infer from there. I would, however, prefer a more expert opinion than mine.

Also regarding Nagao-ryu, Earl mentioned in one of his posts that there are secret documents written in some fabricated code that must be tranlated in order to learn at the higher levels...Let me interject that I am going up to Big K on Monday to try to find some of these people and places, but I scarsely think that I will dropping these kinds of questions on anyone I talk to at first. Just to trying to fill in as many blanks as possible until I can actually physically talk to someone--or, as it were, have someone translate for me.

Nagao-ryu seems fascinating (man, but don't all koryu).

Also, is the KIT located in Shijimadai? More importantly, is the Nagao-ryu dojo in Nonoichi or Shijimadai? I mean, I got you contact info, so is that the address that I should be looking for if I want to try to meet with someone on Monday? And, is Terry the only one there I will be able to speak to in English?

You are always a help.

Man, school is boring...

fifthchamber
18th October 2004, 09:00
Hi Dan...
Lucky!! Lucky!! We had our Bichu Den demo down here at the Tokyo Budokan a couple of weekends back...Good...But less overall emphasis on Koryu...More on Kendo really..There was us, a kendo man claiming to teach Niten Ichi Ryu (Very odd...They used Shinai and it looked a lot like Kendo...But then hey...What do I know...;) ....), a few other Kendo guys doing PROPER kendo stuff..(Good to watch!), Aikidoka from Aikikai and the Yoshinkai, and the Booj performing their Ninja stuff...A good mix...But the Nagao Ryu stuff sounds more classy...Hehe..
Was it a Taikai or an Embu? If it was an Embu did you get any pictures?
And lastly...Will you be able to get to the November 3rd meet at Meiji Jingu?
Thanks and take care!

Steve Delaney
18th October 2004, 12:06
You fellas are making me fekkin' jealous.
:)

Daniel Lee
19th October 2004, 01:58
Matt:

That enbu-kai was almost four years ago now, and I'd virtually forgotten all about it. While I can provide you with several sources that might be useful as background information, I'm an outside observer and don't know anything about the specifics of the art. You'd be best served by talking with Nagao-ryu practitioners themselves about the specifics of that art.

Ben:

I think a few of us will be at the Meiji Jingu hono enbu. Maybe we could arrange to meet there, or afterwards?

Steve:

Hope your flight was a smooth one! Please send me your contact details and I'll contact you properly. I also promise not to trouble your atotsugi at the uketsuke re. pamphlets this year. :)

shieldcaster
19th October 2004, 04:41
Man, I totally knew that was long ago, that's why is commented on missing it.

Yeah, I know that the best thing would be to chit chat with the Nagao-ryu guys--which will occur soon...

As for yesterdays little adventure, not so much luck on the first try. I, through a translator (which was pretty screwed up since I'VE always been the translator, not the gimp who needs one), got no info from the folks at Kenritsu Budokan--which is damn big!. No one (of the 10 or so jokers we talked to) knew anything about Muto-ryu or Murakami-san. They knew who Takeda-san was, but knew only that he did something with real swords. They gave me the times that Takeda-san's classes were being taught and hooked me up with one Nakamura-san's phone number (no answer after several tries throughout the day). Apparently, Nakamura-san is Takeda-san's head instructor. If any of the questions involved an actual ryu name, we got the palms up :confused:
Got next Monday off, so I--I being me and my translator--will try calling in advance and attempting to meet Arai-san, Murakami-san, and anyone else we might've missed.

It was fun, though. I'll keep you posted...

What time does the Meiji embu start on WED?

fifthchamber
19th October 2004, 05:11
Hi Daniel...
Yep...I would love to meet you there. I intend on being there for the whole thing barring minor earthquakes and taifu...Which we seem to be getting plenty of recently...23 last count...Nice eh?
But yeah...Email me through ebudo or my hotmail account and let me know where you will be though eh? The dodcomo email number is fifthchamber@...Too....I also said that I will hook up with Ron Beaubien this coming weekend too so will be doing that I hope..Since he is going to be there too maybe we can all go for drinks after the embu...If you are okay with that let me know...
I shall see you there.
Yours.
(Matt...The Meiji Embu is on the monday...3rd...Bunka no hi)

fifthchamber
19th October 2004, 06:31
Hi Matt...
Whoops...Ignore me....I forgot today was NOT monday...The Embu IS on wednesday...I was mixed up....That and I'm stoopid...
Hehe...The actual DATE IS the third though....Glad I saw through that one....
Jesus....Work......Kids......Halloween masks....
Ooooooooooooo.....
The horror.....
The horror......
Sorry.

shieldcaster
19th October 2004, 07:16
You actually had me there for a sec. I was looking at all the calendars on the walls and on my desk, and thinkin' 'what the hell can't I figure out about these things?' Good one, though. I'll, uh, try not to read too much into you giving me the wrong day, though...:D
Hopefully, I'll see some of you guys there. Otherwise, I'm sure that I will just be yet another clueless gaijin wandering around looking for the beer stand...

L8R.

fifthchamber
19th October 2004, 07:32
Hello again!

I'm sure that I will just be yet another clueless gaijin wandering around looking for the beer stand...

........Judging from my time here already I think that I will be joining you...After the demo's of course...I am not sure who else from my Dojo is going yet...If any at all..But it is not the sort of thing that Kouno Sensei would miss I should think..I'm dragging along the other JET's here in Tokyo with me too I think...They wanted culture...What else can they do on a wet and windy day in Tokyo...Excepting getting drunk...
Naturally..

shieldcaster
22nd October 2004, 02:34
Arai-san said that there will be another demonstration this Sunday (24 OCT 04)! Not sure about the times or places, but I will have them by tonight. Not sure which ryuha will attend, but it seems there will be more than a few. I will post further info tonight, so you'll have plenty of time to get to the airport, train station, bus stop or car park by Sunday.

I'll keep you all posted on the specifics, and I'll post a recap Sunday or Monday for anyone who missed out.

Daniel: Through a translator (man, I hate that) I got ahold of Arai-san. He said that if I was interested, to come up on Sunday for the demo. After that, he said that he would be open for any questions I may have. He also said it would be a good chance for me to see what else is offered in the area. Man, this is great! Oh, I am still trying to track down Murakami-san and Nakamura-san (Takeda-san's man), I'll let you know what I turn up.

Daniel Lee
22nd October 2004, 05:23
That's good to hear Matt :) Isn't that the annual university kobudo taikai? I think they have held it at KIT, Nagoya and Okayama before. I remember the Takenouchi-ryu, Jodo, Nagao-ryu and Yagyu Shingan-ryu guys have given some great enbu in the past. Should be well worthwhile - do let us know how it goes!

shieldcaster
22nd October 2004, 15:27
Word on the street is that the show starts promptly at 1000 and goes on till about 1200. It's at the KIT (Kanazawa Institute of Technology). Still no list of what ryuha will be participating, but apparently there will be a few of the local ryu getting their freak on. Any further info will be forthcoming. And for any questions, see me--I'll do my best...

shieldcaster
1st November 2004, 02:15
I'll get the details to you guys a.s.a.p. I'm affraid I'm neck deep in mid-term exams at the moment.

L8R.