PDA

View Full Version : How to store my Certificates

roninrj
31st July 2004, 00:55
Hi,

Was after some advice on storing my certificates I have aquired over the years. Rather than put them in a frame and hang them on the wall is there a more Traditional way ? I have seen something like a bamboo tube and cap (cert. then rolled up and slid in). Any help on the Traditional methods of storage.

Kind Regards Rowan Jones

MarkF
1st August 2004, 13:51
At the WGA (Writer's Guild of America), mostly sripts, stories, and ideas for media (Movies, TV), they put such papers in tubes, or at least they did before the Internet. I'm sure they still have to store hard copies and it still is a good idea. Vacuum-sealed tubes with sealed caps on both ends.

It seemed like a good idea at the time. I don't know the "tradition" of these kinds of certificates and such, but I think, if it isn't being done, that is a good idea.

I would think it would b something like that. How did all those densho from so long ago manage to keep so well. Not all of them did, but some were hefty with creativeness (Is that a word)?

Mark

Joseph Svinth
1st August 2004, 21:19
Store in a cool, dark, dry, well-ventilated, place that is safe from insects. Be sure to use only low-acid papers, and allow the certificates to only come into contact with other low-acid papers. Do NOT use acetate covers or adhesive tape.

For specific guidance on paper storage, see http://www.writersdigest.com/articles/pj_mag/stacy_preservation_guide.asp , and then follow its links.

Photos require equally careful storage. For some guidance here, see http://www.cr.nps.gov/nr/publications/bulletins/photobul/pt5.htm .

For artifacts and whatnot, also see http://conferences.alia.org.au/libtec2001/papers/wylie.html .

From the latter site:

A government repository would have highly sophisticated climate and environment controls for temperature and humidity, and storage conditions would be closely monitored. The usual recommended ranges for temperature and humidity are 21° Celsius (+/: 1° ) and 55 per cent RH (+/: 5 per cent). There would be no windows and all lighting would have UV light filters and would be turned off whenever possible. All entrance doors would be close fitting to keep insects at bay and the area and the collection would be monitored for signs of infestation.

The one room in a local history museum can be made very close to the environmental ideals by the use of insulation, re-circulating refrigerated air-conditioning (left running at all times), vinyl floor covering, low UV fluorescent tubes and diffusers, and boarding up and sealing of windows. Draught exclusion strips around all doors would provide a good level of protection against insect infestation, especially where combined with the use of surface sprays on the outer side of the doorways. Cockroach traps, available from the supermarket, can be placed inside the room and regular inspection would alert you to any insect invasion before harm could be done.

For a small local history collection in a public library it would be better to keep the original items in a back room as above, and provide good quality copies in the reading room. The copies may be digital if the technology is available, or photocopies and/or photographic copies that can be kept in vertical filing cabinets.

END QUOTE

For placement on the wall, consider high-resolution scans of the originals done on high-quality, low-acid, paper. Placed under glass, most people won't be able to tell the difference, and if they get trashed by the environment, who cares, you just make another one.

For some thoughts on traditional Asian methods (many of which involved affixing the paper to silk), see http://www.trueart.info/oriental.htm .

Chuck.Gordon
2nd August 2004, 10:03
Originally posted by roninrj
Hi,

... after some advice on storing my certificates ...

Kind Regards Rowan Jones

My teacher was notorious for just putting certs and scrolls in a drawer in his desk. Last time I saw it, they were dusty, cob-webby, cracked and fading. I hope to get my hands on them someday to perserve them properly.

Chuck

wmuromoto
2nd August 2004, 21:19
In the case of scrolls and kakejiku, in bujutsu and tea, my various sensei usually stored them in kiri wood boxes. They were light and may have had a natural insect repellent oil in them. They also expand and contract with the outside moisture gradually, leading to very good long term preservation of paper goods. Some of the oldest preserved paper products in the world was preserved in the Shosoin repository in Nara, and the storage building basically looks like a fancy wooden log cabin. So there's something to be said about wood, as long as the bugs don't eat the structure.

In addition, kiri floats. So if your house caught on fire, you could throw the box into the well and let it float, wet, without burning, and then run out with the family money chest. This may not be a modern problem but that, I'm told, is another reason to use kiri.

I took some workshops in paper preservation and basically, what Joseph Svinth mentioned is good for modern methods that you can also apply to your scrolls.

...In addition, there are different ways to tie the cords at the end of scrolls and hanging scrolls, etc. The tying is all fine, but if you are intent on preserving a very old document, the advice I received was to just wind the cord loosely around the rolled up scroll without any tie, else the tension of any tie or knot would cut into the paper.

...Wayne Muromoto

Neil Yamamoto
2nd August 2004, 21:54
Rolled up stuff, vacu-seal it.

Stuff not rolled up, get a plastic bag that doesn't emit any gas or acid by products, like Mylar or any other inert plastic. Seal the document in the bag. Then sandwich the document between two pieces of non acid thick cardboard, like the backing they use in framing shops.

Then, stick it in your underwear drawer. Cool, dry, and protected from light. Bad aromas are your problem.