PDA

View Full Version : Hanwei weaponary

Tiger Ed
2nd August 2004, 13:24
Hi everyone,

What is everyones opinion on Hanwei weapons. I am specifically interested in the 'Tiger' range, as it has a Bo-Hi which gives good balance. Or are there better weapons out there for the same price.

Just to let you know I am not using it for cutting and want a Folded blade. It is mainly for Iaido.

chrismoses
2nd August 2004, 17:46
Unless your first name is Tiger and your last name is Ed, you'll need to sign all posts with your full real name. Thanks.

David T Anderson
3rd August 2004, 02:44
I briefly examined a Tiger katana a few months ago... It's a BIG sword, but seemed relatively light and well-balanced. If you are fairly tall [6' plus] it ought to be suitable for you, although I'm not sure if you'll like the long tsuka for Iai.

It's hard to say anything about the price...Bugei's subsidiary Ancient Edge sells the Tiger katana for a bit more than Bugei's entry level exclusive swords, but other sites sell it for the same or less. If you like the looks and proportions of the Tiger better and the quality of the one you're looking at is good, I would say it was a good deal.

Tiger Ed
3rd August 2004, 10:36
Sorry, only been on a few days and I am already in trouble, Mr Moses, will change it for you. (Thought it was on my signiture.)

Thanks David, for the reply and I am pretty tall, 6'5" so I need quite a large blade. I know a guy who runs a web-site and he says he will give me 15% off so it would come down to around £640.00 (Sterling) which is why I am considering it. (Well not for about a year, am researchin it lots first, and he will hold the discount as I get all my stuff through him.)

What is the construction like, are there any weak/problem areas that may need replacing to be safe...well better protected?

chrismoses
3rd August 2004, 16:50
...and most people just call him Grumpy. :) Chris is fine thanks.

I haven't handled the tiger in a while, but I remember it looking a bit flashy for my tastes (I didn't really like the inlay on the saya, it looked kind of cheap). It would probably do for Iai, but if you wanted a good live blade for Iai, the Bugei Dragonfly or Crane are really nice. The Dragonfly's tsuka is particularly nice for a Chen offering and is available with bo-hi. If you're mostly going to be using the blade for Iai, do yourself the favor and check out
swordstore.com (http://www.swordstore.com). Their "Steel Iaito that cut" are really well put together, offer bo-hi and the fittings are top-notch. I've handled quite a few of them and would recommend them to anyone. If you buy one that's in-stock (as opposed to the custom order option) you can save quite a bit as well. Really consider a good iaito as well. They're safer to handle and much cheaper for excellent quality.

Happy shopping, welcome to the board.

ZealUK
3rd August 2004, 17:21
Just out of interest, do you train in Leeds Ed?

Sorry for the thread drift... :D

Tiger Ed
3rd August 2004, 18:18
Not to worry Chris rules are sules, I needed something that was not Ed and my name sounds a little snobby so stuck in Tiger as its what I call my ladyfriend.

I will be getting an Iaito, probably the Goran as I heard it was quite well put together piece of kit, but not for a few months as I am not in a rush.

Not wanting to use a Live blade for about a year/eighteen months at the earliest as it would be dangereous for anyone in about ten miles, myself included.

Alex,

I train in Wakefield, was looking at the Leeds club but Wakefield is easier to get to. Where is the Leeds one at and when is it on?

ZealUK
3rd August 2004, 19:15
The dojo in Leeds is...

Shiroi Bara
St Martins Institute
Chapel Allerton

Training Monday 7-9pm.

We study Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu.

http://www.eikoku-roshukai.com/

Steve Botelho
3rd August 2004, 20:14
Well, I see my $0.02 on the Tiger is too late. I owned one and agree it is probably a hair big for iai, both in nagasa and tsuka. As for iaito, why go with Chen? For the money you can get one with much better geometry in blade and tsuka from Swordstore or Tozando. A friend has a PC iaito, the one with leather ito (can't remember the name...) and though the fittings are nice, and the ito a nice touch, the blade is WAY light (even lighter than the Swordstore or Tozando alloy iaito I have had), not very geometrically pleasing, and the tsuka has the usual shape and angle problems famous in Chen stuff.

Tiger Ed
6th August 2004, 12:40
Thanks Steve will give them a look too, not really bothered about the weight as I am a 'Big Strong Lad' as I ate my Greens as a child and sat in a Compost heap. I will have a look though as I do want something well made and well balanced.

Tiger Ed
6th August 2004, 12:59
Thanks Steve I will give them a look as I am interested in a well-made and well-balanced blade. I am a 'Big Strong Lad' as I ate my greens and stood in a bag of compost as a boy so the weight does not bother me...but on your reccomendation I will take a look.