PDA

View Full Version : FS: Small Bogu, Northern California

bluelakeaikido
3rd August 2004, 21:22
I have a set of Small Bogu for sale in the South Lake Tahoe CA region. I used it *maybe* 10 times while I was training at the Sacramento Kendo Club down the hill.

It is in *Excellent* condition. Will fit small humans (maybe up to 150#). Full set = Men, Kote, Do, Tare. Comes with Cloth Carrying Bag.

I bought it for ~$300, I'll let it go for $250 + Shipping. I'll only ship in the Continental USA though.

I can send photos on request.

Interested parties can contact me at my dojo number below

I'm selling this to finance a trip to Shingu, Japan next November.

Thank you for your time :-)

Yuma
22nd October 2004, 01:59
Good evening! I'm new, and am looking for bogu. Is yours still available?

Yuma

Elizabeth Chase

Kaoru
24th October 2004, 03:58
Originally posted by Yuma
Good evening! I'm new, and am looking for bogu. Is yours still available?

Yuma

Elizabeth Chase

Hi!

Since you are a beginner just starting, you won't need bogu for a long time. Say, 4-6 months or more, no less. Wait until you have taken Kendo for several months and know you will stick with it. Cochran-sensei will tell you when you are ready for bogu, and he will help you measure and give you good advice as to what to get. Kendo bogu is not "one size fits all" in S, M, or L. And buying bogu is difficult, if you don't know what is what. There is much more to it than just buying it. It must fit right if you are getting your own. You'd have to measure your head a special way, your hands a special way, the same for your waist, hips and chest. It is VERY complicated if you have no clue what you are doing. I'm not kidding when I mean special. It's not just put it around you and measure. You may need a sensei's help in the end. Also, stitching is important, too.
hehehe, I've been scouring catalogues and seeing what I want eventually. So, I've got a pretty good idea about all this. Plus, I've been reading about bogu on the Kendo World Forums. But, I am not buying any bogu until sensei gives me permission. He will tell you when you are ready to wear bogu and then you can ask when you can buy your own. Just wait and be patient.

Anyhow, you don't even know how much you like Kendo yet.(Wait a month then ask yourself. Hopefully, you'll love it. :) ) This is a bad time to buy bogu. You'll wear club bogu first anyway. Once you find out what it is like to be hit, you may change your mind and decide it is too painful to continue or you may find you will enjoy it. Each person is different. Many quit after getting into bogu. Heck, most beginners quit a short while after they start. I am not in bogu yet, but I know from hearing about it, that it does hurt getting hit. I know I won't care, but others do care.

Anyway, I think you need to wait before spending money on bogu until you know for sure you intend to stay once you get into bogu. When in doubt? Always ask your sensei first before rushing into something. Especially since you are a new beginner. :)

I hope this helps. :)

Oh, why don't you come to Kendo World?
Literally, there is a ton of Kendo information there that you can't find here.
And, in each subforum, you can go back as far as the beginning of the forum. Tons of pages of stuff to read. :)

Here:

http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/

Sincerely,

Carolyn

P.S. Sorry for rambling...

Yuma
24th October 2004, 05:05
Kaoru,

You are right where I need someone, and I thank you very much for your input. I'm not kidding when I say you are an honest, kind, gentle, and sweet person; I've truly appreciated your every word.

I was looking into this particular set for my 12 year old son, as I do not want to spend an arm and a leg for something that he may out grow in 3 more years. Perhaps this is putting the cart before the horse and other decent, inexpensive gear may come my way if that is to be.

My own needs are different, as you've no doubt read on the other thread. For myself, I am quite patient to await Sensei Cochran's word.

Dang, the Red Sox are back up to bat.... best go!

Appreciatively,

Lizzie

Chase

Kaoru
25th October 2004, 01:25
Hi Yuma-san,

You are right where I need someone, and I thank you very much for your input. I'm not kidding when I say you are an honest, kind, gentle, and sweet person; I've truly appreciated your every word.

You are very welcome. But you are being too nice. I don't know... *shy* but thank you. *bow*

I was looking into this particular set for my 12 year old son, as I do not want to spend an arm and a leg for something that he may out grow in 3 more years. Perhaps this is putting the cart before the horse and other decent, inexpensive gear may come my way if that is to be.

Oh I see! Well yeah, it is putting the cart before the horse. :) He needs to see if he will even like Kendo first and see if he sticks with it long enough to be allowed to wear bogu. And, he'll be grown out of it probably by that time anyway, possibly.

My own needs are different, as you've no doubt read on the other thread. For myself, I am quite patient to await Sensei Cochran's word.

I see now. I didn't know both of you are going to do Kendo. I just thought it was you. :) My apologies!

Sincerely,