PDA

View Full Version : Iaido texts

Tiger Ed
17th August 2004, 12:30
No-one seemed to answer this in the media section so I though I would put it here.

I asked some people to reccomend some Iaido books to me, so I can increase my knowledge of its Philosophy, History and its various techniques. I was reccomended by a good source for the below books, how do you rate them?

Nicholas Suino: The Art of Japanese Swordsmanship: A manual of Eishin-Ryu Iaido.

Gordon Warner & Donn F Dreager: Japanese Swordsmanship

Brian Owens
17th August 2004, 20:05
Originally posted by Tiger Ed
Gordon Warner & Donn F Dreager: Japanese Swordsmanship

I consider this to be the Iaido text, at least up to now. It's getting harder to find, and the price keeps going up accordingly, so don't wait too long.

BTW, it's "Draeger" -- has several other tiles out that you might also enjoy.

Bob Blackburn
17th August 2004, 20:32
You may also like Flashing Steel by Masayuki Shimabukuro (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1883319188/qid=1092771102/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/103-9149573-4938267?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

Tiger Ed
17th August 2004, 21:10
Sorry on the spelling I just guessed as I did not have the titles etc here.

Tiger Ed
17th August 2004, 21:22
Will have to get them both it seems and the Suino one too-ah Amazon here I come.

Any others I should look at, different styles interest me too so they do not have to be a specific one at all.

Chidokan
17th August 2004, 21:45
this one is cracking, unfortunately in Japanese...

http://www.buyubooks.com/product_details.cfm?id=10523

Take it to the Leeds seminar on September 3rd and you can have it signed by the author....:cool:

Tiger Ed
17th August 2004, 21:58
Where is the Seminar in Leeds, it did get mentioned but I was not really concentrating on the conversation (pretty lady) so did not get its location.

Chidokan
17th August 2004, 22:04
Its at the Middleton sports centre, Iwata sensei and four of his senior students (all 7th dan) are attending along with our translator... pm me if you need more details.

Maro
18th August 2004, 02:31
Originally posted by Yagyu Kenshi
I consider this to be the Iaido text, at least up to now. It's getting harder to find, and the price keeps going up accordingly, so don't wait too long.

BTW, it's "Draeger" -- has several other tiles out that you might also enjoy.

I saw a mint copy of this in Melbourne for AU$99 last week if any Aussies are interested

Brian Owens
18th August 2004, 06:06
Originally posted by Maro
I saw a mint copy of this in Melbourne for AU$99 last week if any Aussies are interested
Heck with Aussies, mate! I'm interested!

If you get a chance to get back to where you saw it and it's still there you can re-sell it to me for a reasonable profit.

PM me any time.

Chidokan
18th August 2004, 22:56
after seeing the stupid price someone paid on Ebay for 3 hard backs I am tempted to put my original set up for sale... and two of them have the flyleaf cover as well. Maybe I could get a ticket to Japan for the cash!!! (dream on Tim...):D

Maro
19th August 2004, 03:16
Originally posted by Yagyu Kenshi
Heck with Aussies, mate! I'm interested!

If you get a chance to get back to where you saw it and it's still there you can re-sell it to me for a reasonable profit.

PM me any time.

Sadly it is in Melbourne and I am back in Sydney - I can get the name of the Bookshop if you want?

Brian Owens
19th August 2004, 11:00
Originally posted by Maro
Sadly it is in Melbourne and I am back in Sydney - I can get the name of the Bookshop if you want?
That would be great. Can you PM it to me? (If you post it on the open forum I'll likely never get to them before someone else does!) ;)

Maro
20th August 2004, 07:15
No probs - I've emailed my mate - I'll PM you when I get a reply
:)