PDA

View Full Version : Robes

yamatodamashii
2nd November 2000, 06:01
What are the robes called that the Kongo Zen priests wear over their gi, and where can I get a similar item?

Thanks... :)

Anders Pettersson
2nd November 2000, 08:37
Hi Jason.

They are called Hoi (–@ˆß).
It is also used by other Buddisst organisations (outside of Budo), but I have never seen it together with the same obi as we use.

I guess that most kenshi, that have one, have bought it in Japan, from one of the shops (Ozaki, Maekawa or Daruma-Do) in Tadotsu (where are headquarter is).
I have never seen it it any shops outside of Japan, maybe anyone else?

Anders
<a href="http://www.shorinji-kempo.org">www.shorinji-kempo.org</a>

George Hyde
2nd November 2000, 12:29
This may seem strange but...

I think it's worth pointing out that being recognised as part of the 'corporate' identity of Kongo Zen/Shorinji Kempo, you'll probably find that the hoi and its use, is subject to the same copyright protection as everything else connected thereto.

Like any 'uniform', I doubt you'd have much trouble buying one, but be careful how you intend to use it.

Later,

yamatodamashii
2nd November 2000, 23:15
Well, actually... The "hoi" doesn't look exactly like the garment that I'm looking for, but it's very close (and I certainly wouldn't want to wear the belt... I know what goes into that).

Is what is called a "hangesa" similar in appearance, if you are familiar with it? When I was studying Hwa Rang Do, part of the uniform was a "dopo" or Buddhist robe, worn over the dobok... I'm trying to find something similar in the Japanese systems.

Anders Pettersson
3rd November 2000, 09:13
Hi Jason.

If I look up the word Hoi (–@ˆß) in a dictionary (if you don't have any at home please try; http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html) I get the translation "vestment; priest's robe".
And as I mentioned in my last post the Hoi is used by other Buddhist organisations so I guess a Hoi is close to what you refer to.

Not many know that thee are actually long & wide sleeves on the Hoi, in Shorinji Kempo we tie them up in the neck and also use the obi to keep them from "flying around". When not doing techniques sometimes people wear it with the sleeves "out" (Don't know if you get what I mean, sometimes my English just isn'tgood enough :-) )

/Anders

yamatodamashii
3rd November 2000, 12:49
Well, I guess that is what I'm looking for then. Thank you much, gentlemen!