Haimeman
2nd November 2000, 14:51
hello all,

As a Judoka who is interested in koryu, I have many
questions. My interest lie in Koryu Jujutsu, Jojutsu,
and Hanbo jutsu skills, so here is my question for
anyone involved in koyru Jojutsu. What are the key
points that need to be addressed when gripping the
Jo? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Than you.

James feleciano

Meik Skoss
2nd November 2000, 15:38
James Feliciano wrote: "As a judoka who is interested in koryu, I have many questions. My interest lies in koryu jujutsu, jojutsu, and [hanbojutsu] skills, so here is my question for anyone involved in koyru jojutsu. What are the key points that need to be addressed when gripping the jo? Any help would be greatly appreciated."

The Johnson Goldilocks Principle applies, the same as with any other Japanese weapons art. If you want to know what that is, contact me privately at <mskoss@koryubooks.com>.

The other major principle in any koryu is known as the KISS Principle: Keep It Short [and] Simple. There are a number of ryu that have long and (seemingly) involved kata, but if one analyzes them carefully, you will see that they're not really that "flowery" in either concept or application. One just needs to know what one is looking at.

Hope this helps.

Tony Peters
2nd November 2000, 17:34
What my sensei has been trying to teach me is soft hands....I have a bad habit of holding on to tight; which by the end of a 2 1/2 hour class makes my hands and forearms quite sore. As for during class my death grip on the jo has screwed up my flexiblity