PDA

View Full Version : "Foku-ho" - aiki term?

O'Neill
23rd August 2004, 19:13
I am curious about a term that we have been using in the neww jujutsu dojo that I train at. There is a wrist release named "foku ho". Surely that is a westernized term? Is there a standard japanese term. It is good to be back after a rather long illness.

MarkF
24th August 2004, 09:28
I am glad you are feeling better, Erin.

Mark

Nathan Scott
26th August 2004, 03:51
[Post deleted by user]

Nathan Scott
27th August 2004, 17:40
[Post deleted by user]

O'Neill
30th August 2004, 22:47
I laugh at myself all the time, especially on the mat! No offense taken. By the way, how is your piece on Aiki going, I am so interested in that. It must change as new info becomes available or you gain new insights. Take care.

Nathan Scott
31st August 2004, 02:26
[Post deleted by user]

Arthur
21st September 2004, 12:16
Concerning "Foku-ho"... I suspect you are doing an offshoot of either Kamishin Ryu or Takeshin Sogo Budo. Within those traditions the use of the term Foku-ho does indeed make reference to the japanized word for "fork".

In the basic list of those arts there is a technique called Kote Shomei Odori. It has 4 basic variations that are taught to beginners. Within the style proper there are no proper names for the henka taught as a base. Over time people began calling each of the 4 basic henksa by a familiar name. One of those evolved names was "foku-ho". In these traditions it is a wrist displacement using the space between the index finger and the thumb.

hope this helps,
Arthur

O'Neill
25th September 2004, 14:56
This is the authentic japanese version (name) of the technique. Took some time but i found it.

A. M. Jauregui
7th October 2004, 07:20
The phrase, open your "mata" comes to mind. lol

PRehse
7th October 2004, 08:18
Originally posted by Nathan Scott
Most references address a certain element, or are deliberately vague, but seem to be talking about a similar concept in the end.
:D

Nathan Scott
13th October 2004, 02:35
[Post deleted by user]

PRehse
13th October 2004, 03:08
Off to go extend my ki, become one with the universe, keep my one-point, etc. :D
None of which have anything to do with what I know as aiki. :D

Nathen my smiley wont be recinded since what you speak of gels with what I've observed.

On one hand you have the definition of aiki shrouded in mystery. The I know but if I tell you I have to kill you type. No time for this - especially when the individual has only a few years of a particular art under their belt.

On the other hand there are attempts to describe exactly what is meant - sometimes successful, sometimes not.

In the latter case I see a strong similarity - a common thread if you will. I don't really see it as a percentage of elements but rather degrees of emphasis coupled with ways of expression. I do find that some styles of Aikido have added additional meaning based on a play of words but that is neither here nor there.

There is a monograph by Fumiaki Shishida (Professor of Budo history Waseda Daigaku) which describes the historical evolution of the term. If you take that as your base, rather than one particular arts version, than the relationships become very obvious.

Nathan Scott
13th October 2004, 07:26
[Post deleted by user]

PRehse
13th October 2004, 07:53
Speaking of which, you wouldn't happen to have an extra copy of Professor Shishida's monograph - or details that might lead me to where I could obtain a copy - would ya? It sounds familiar, but I don't think I have it.
This is not a shameless book plug.

An English version of the monograph is found in Aikido: Tradition and the Competitive Edge available quite cheaply at Amazon.

The book also contains an improved section (versus the original Japanese publication) on Daito Ryu done in collaboration with either Tokimune Takeda or one of his senior students - I forget which. Although I could check tonight.

Nathan Scott
14th October 2004, 00:54
[Post deleted by user]