PDA

View Full Version : Ninja Kenjutsu Video

js51979
1st September 2004, 00:36
Does anyone know of any instructional video that teaches step-by-step ninja kenjutsu in english?
I'm looking for one that teaches iaido, kenjutsu, postures, grips,
cuts, chiburi, etc. THANKS!!!

Sensei Jeremy Schmidt
Shodan Koga-Ryu Ninjitsu

Kaoru
1st September 2004, 01:41
Originally posted by js51979
Does anyone know of any instructional video that teaches step-by-step ninja kenjutsu in english?

Sensei Jeremy Schmidt
Shodan Koga-Ryu Ninjitsu

Hi Schmidt-san,

Nope. You can't learn Kenjutsu or Iaido by video. There is also no such thing as "Ninja Kenjutsu." Kenjutsu is just Kenjutsu. There is a Kenjutsu Ryuha that is part of the curriculum of Ninpo(Hatsumi), but I forgot the name of it. Somebody here, will know though.

The reason you cannot learn by video, is because it is only meant to be an aide to proper and qualified instruction. And, it is only 2 dimensional, meaning you can't really see the little details that go into each waza. There are just too many things missing in a video that you won't miss in a dojo with a qualified sensei. You can easily cut yourself if you are not under the supervison of a teacher, and do not really know what you are doing, and attempt to use a live blade, which I advise you strongly to not use, should you try to teach yourself. By teaching yourself, you are not really training in Kenjutsu at all. You will be only going through basic motions. And, you cannot talk to a video and ask it questions, and it cannot reply and correct your mistakes and tell you not to do this or that, or tell you what you did well. It cannot really and truely teach you sword safety either.

These are just a few reasons why learning by video is not a good idea. If you want it for use as an aide to go along with proper training, this is fine. But, you can't teach yourself using a video, and you can't say you are training in Kenjutsu, either as a result.

If you would like to learn Koryu(Pre-Meiji: before 1876) Iaido, I keep a library of dojos, and would be willing to see if any I have exist near you, if you are willing to attend a proper dojo. There is no authentic Koryu Kenjutsu anywhere in Texas. Otherwise, I cannot help you. You must study hard under a qualified person or forget it, I am afraid.

Sorry about that. :)

Brian Pettett
1st September 2004, 02:04
I'm curious, Schmidt sensei: does your dojo not already have access to such materials, provided they do exist? Surely the senior sensei at your school would be more able to provide help than we here could? I know my sensei would value my coming to him for training materials, instead of me taking a chance looking for stuff on the internet.

At any rate, I don't know that I've heard of any ninjitsu training that dealt with kenjutsu attacks and counters, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Hope you find something...

cxt
1st September 2004, 16:06
I am curious to know why an self described "Koga Ryu Sensei" would be trying to track down "tapes" on "ninja kenjutsu?"

Presumably he should already have training in said art.

Could be wrong of course.

But could not HIS teacher provide the information?

Chris Thomas

gendzwil
1st September 2004, 16:26
I loves me some shodan "sensei", expecially a ninjer one. Sorry, son, no tapes on how to use that $79.95 "ninja-to" you bought from knives-R-us.

Aozora
1st September 2004, 17:05
[b[There is no authentic Koryu Kenjutsu anywhere in Texas. Otherwise, I cannot help you. You must study hard under a qualified person or forget it, I am afraid.

Sorry about that. :) [/B]

What about Toby Threadgill in Dallas?:confused:

Doug Stryker
1st September 2004, 17:40
Originally posted by Kaoru
There is no authentic Koryu Kenjutsu anywhere in Texas.

I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree. Aside from Threadgill Sensei, there is also:

- Tenshin Ryu kenjutsu
Robert Lange teaches a small group Tenshin
Ryu kenjutsu out in the Pleasant Grove area of
east Dallas.

- Shin Shin Sekiguchi Ryu / Toyama-Ryu
taught by Dr. J. McGlade in Pearland, TX

- Joe Bostick teaches the Higo line of Shin Shin
Sekiguchi Ryu battojutsu out in Cleburne.

- Mugai Ryu Iaihyodo
There is an official study group for Mugai
Ryu Iaihyodo in Nacogdoches, Tx. That's just
outside Houston. It is run by Jimmy Crow.

and of course...

- Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaido
John Ray (everyone's senior in rank in MJER in
North America) teaches this koryu in Denton

Those are just the few that I've been told about. I'm sure there may be others as well.

Mr. Schmidt, I can't help you with any ninjutsu instruction, but there are clearly many qualified individuals in the TX area to seek out for kenjutsu/iaijutsu assistance. Good luck in your search!

Regards,
Doug Stryker

Matt Molloy
1st September 2004, 18:14
Originally posted by cxt
I am curious to know why an self described "Koga Ryu Sensei" would be trying to track down "tapes" on "ninja kenjutsu?"

Presumably he should already have training in said art.

Could it be that the KKKK thread's fame has spread to such a degree that people are actively seeking entry to it? :D

Cheers,

Matt.

Aozora
1st September 2004, 19:45
Hi Doug:

Originally posted by Doug Stryker

- Mugai Ryu Iaihyodo

I wasn't aware Jimmy was doing Mugai Ryu. The last time I saw him was alongside me during our nidan shodan shiken in April under John Ray sensei. Jimmy?

and of course...

Yeah, I wasn't intentionally leaving out iai folks, especially my sensei, I was strictly limiting it to kenjutsu as such. However, iai is a branch of kenjutsu, so it is true.

Lest I be accused of thread drift, I echo what has been said so far: you can't learn kenjutsu from a book or a video, and a million ninja wannabes who say otherwise can, and in fact, are wrong.

kenkyusha
1st September 2004, 21:17
I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree. Aside from Threadgill Sensei, there is also:

- Tenshin Ryu kenjutsu
east Dallas.
snip
Um... er... that is... ah, well you see... perhaps not quite Koryu so much as er... not... although Sensei (what an unusual first name?!?!) might enjoy it.

Be well,
Jigme

js51979
1st September 2004, 21:43
Ok, yes, I do have alot of many materials and alot of training with the sword!! I've trained with the Ninja-To (Iaido and Kenjutsu Arts) and also the Katana and others as well!! Actually, there is Ninja-Tojutsu and Ninja Iaido as well!! Also, ninja-to having a straight blade and shorter and lighter than the katana was used different than a katana. It was used alot for stabbing, or close range combat, and also if you wanted to cut you had to force your bodyweight behind the blade to get it to cut effectively. It was also used as a tool for climbing, ladder step, prying open doors, etc. Very different than the longer katana that was used for outdoor battlefield purposes, also having a curved blade it was used for slashing because of the curvature fitting the body map perfectly. It was also easier to draw from the waist because of the curve. Well, I just wanted a video to add to my collection, just to have one!! I am the head instructor around here and I was just curious because I don't care what anyone says, you can always pick up something from any source!!
I'm not going to argue with any of you because it would damage my account, but I will say that you should also try to learn from anything you can, whether it's an instructor, video, book, etc.
You can always learn something from anything!!
Be open minded!! Also, I've heard about a few of the Kenjutsu and Iaido instructors from Houston. There was one named
Master Kubota-San. I don't know if he's still around or not, but I heard he teaches both!! If any of you live in Houston, please check it out!! PEACE!!!

Sensei Jeremy Schmidt
Shodan Koga-Ryu Ninjitsu

Kaoru
1st September 2004, 22:05
Ok, yes, I do have alot of many materials and alot of training with the sword!! I've trained with the Ninja-To (Iaido and Kenjutsu Arts) and also the Katana and others as well!! Actually, there is Ninja-Tojutsu and Ninja Iaido as well!! Also, ninja-to having a straight blade and shorter and lighter than the katana was used different than a katana. It was used alot for stabbing, or close range combat, and also if you wanted to cut you had to force your bodyweight behind the blade to get it to cut effectively. It was also used as a tool for climbing, ladder step, prying open doors, etc. Very different than the longer katana that was used for outdoor battlefield purposes, also having a curved blade it was used for slashing because of the curvature fitting the body map perfectly. It was also easier to draw from the waist because of the curve. Well, I just wanted a video to add to my collection, just to have one!! I am the head instructor around here and I was just curious because I don't care what anyone says, you can always pick up something from any source!!
I'm not going to argue with any of you because it would damage my account, but I will say that you should also try to learn from anything you can, whether it's an instructor, video, book, etc.
You can always learn something from anything!!
Be open minded!! Also, I've heard about a few of the Kenjutsu and Iaido instructors from Houston. There was one named
Master Kubota-San. I don't know if he's still around or not, but I heard he teaches both!! If any of you live in Houston, please check it out!! PEACE!!!

Sensei Jeremy Schmidt
Shodan Koga-Ryu Ninjitsu

You should never ever refer to yourself as "sensei." And furthermore, "sensei" goes AFTER the person's name. It is extremely arrogant to refer to onesself as such, and is just not done. Humility is to be practiced at all times. That means to be humble and not give yourself titles.

"Master?" Must be McDojo...

Very different than the longer katana that was used for outdoor battlefield purposes, also having a curved blade it was used for slashing because of the curvature fitting the body map perfectly. It was also easier to draw from the waist because of the curve.

You don't know much about the katana do you...

It is obvious you never trained in a proper dojo. And, I wouldn't give you what I have, because of your attitude, or do a search for more than what I've got either. You have not a willingness to get out of the house and train with a qualfied sensei. That much is obvious. Therefore, this would be a waste my time. So disappointing... :(

Kaoru
1st September 2004, 22:13
Originally posted by Aozora

When did he move to Dallas? I thought he was teaching elsewhere? Last I knew anyway... I could use an update on his dojo then. Where is he now? His dojo name? And, all that info? Please PM it to me for my list, if you could. I need to update that. I'd really appreciate that! Thanks. :)

Kaoru
1st September 2004, 22:36

- Tenshin Ryu kenjutsu
east Dallas.

- Shin Shin Sekiguchi Ryu / Toyama-Ryu
taught by Dr. J. McGlade in Pearland, TX

- Joe Bostick teaches the Higo line of Shin Shin
Sekiguchi Ryu battojutsu out in Cleburne.

- Mugai Ryu Iaihyodo

and of course...

Those are just the few that I've been told about. I'm sure there may be others as well.

Mr. Schmidt, I can't help you with any ninjutsu instruction, but there are clearly many qualified individuals in the TX area to seek out for kenjutsu/iaijutsu assistance. Good luck in your search!

Regards,
Doug Stryker

Actually, I was only referring to Koryu Kenjutsu. I maybe ought to have added "am not aware of so far." to clarify. Sorry about that!

Tenshin Ryu is not Koryu and there have been debates about this Gendai and so much so, that I hesitate to even list it.

Regarding Toyama Ryu, I didn't see him listed either the Toyama website or the Shinkendo official websites. Thanks.

Regarding the MJER, yes, I know about the two in Texas. Ray-sensei and the Clear Lake dojo.

To clarify why I didn't list any dojos...

Those of you who know me from the Samurai Forum, know that I never list any without the person asking for a dojo first. Also, I will always ask first, if the person is interested in finding a dojo to train in, before I will bother taking the time to hunt, because it can take me a long time, because I use the web and ask people I know here for help and I don't want to waste my time for nothing, if the person does not care. That is why I did not tell him anything. If he REALLY is dedicated, he will take my offer and ask me to find them. Otherwise, I will not waste my time. Just because I don't list any, does not mean I don't know. :) Oh, and sorry if this sound a bit.. stiff? I'm not in any way offended. I just thought I'd explain. :)

And, thanks for the extra Iaido dojos. :)

Jock Armstrong
2nd September 2004, 01:11
Straight blade?? Ninja tojutsu?? I can feel alarm bells.........
Jeremy, who was your instructor in Koga ryu?

Forgive me but it it sounds like you are not so much interested in learning from an experienced instructor than gleaning information from a video. Take my advice - don't. There are several dojo and styles which would seem perfect for learning JSA. Take advantage of that. Video is a useful adjunct to training but it can't teach you the subtleties.

Josef
2nd September 2004, 05:17
Very different than the longer katana that was used for outdoor battlefield purposes,

Hi,

Swords have had many uses throughout the ages, but the battlefield isn't one of them. If there's going to be a battle you'de have time to prepare so you could bring a decent weapon, far superior to a sword. Off hand I can only think of two cultures in history that used a sword as a primary weapon on the battlefield, the Romans and the 16th century Spanish. A sword is a side arm. A secondary weapon on the battlefield, a battlefield weapon is damn inconvenient to carry around with you 24/7 so a compromise is reached, effectiveness for convenience and a sword carried. In the spirit of this several cultures developed art forms around carrying a sword out of battle, the Japanese version notably being Iai.

Samurai also carried out assassination as well as Ninja using a katana, check out Sinobu.

http://iai.whaleeaters.org/iai010609.html

Hope this helps,

Jo

P.S. The guy performing this rocks.... (Never thought I'd hear myself saying that about such a girlie ryu as MSR)

Aozora
2nd September 2004, 19:56
Originally posted by Kaoru
When did he move to Dallas? I thought he was teaching elsewhere? Last I knew anyway... I could use an update on his dojo then. Where is he now? His dojo name? And, all that info? Please PM it to me for my list, if you could. I need to update that. I'd really appreciate that! Thanks. :)

I'll work on it, Carolyn, but he's been there a number of years, at least since 2000 (Bugei used him in an ad in the journal of asian martial arts, referring to him from there).

will
3rd September 2004, 04:33
Originally posted by Aozora

A couple of years ago Toby Threadgill headed for the mountains and moved to Colorado. You can find his contact information and a list of affiliated dojo on his website - http://www.shinyokai.com

He still makes it back to Texas every once in a while.

Evan London
3rd September 2004, 20:38
Fumio Manaka Sensei, head of the Jinenkan, sells videos of Togakure Ryu bikenjutsu on the honbu website. Please see: http://www.jinenkan.com.

Ev

JAMJTX
8th September 2004, 06:58
'There is no authentic Koryu Kenjutsu anywhere in Texas'
Wrong.
There may not be much but see www.houstonbudo.com

poryu
8th September 2004, 12:20

Sensei Jeremy Schmidt
Shodan Koga-Ryu Ninjitsu

As your signature states your koga ryu I would suggest you try the harunaka hoshino sword videos

joshbrown
29th September 2010, 14:17
Hi, I know I am late to the discussion, but I have just joined the site.

Master Sentoshi Russo offers a DVD titled Sentoshi Sword Series (http://test.mschenkerrusso.com/store). For those of you who might not know, Mr. Russo is a student of Mr. Stephen K Hayes and head of the Tampa Quest Center.

kenkyusha
10th October 2010, 19:41
Master Sentoshi Russo offers a DVD titled Sentoshi Sword Series

Interesting (/Joe Yang)

Be well,
Jigme