PDA

View Full Version : Whats your system of Kobudo

harleyt26
5th September 2004, 06:02
What system of kobudo do you train in?If it is part of your empty hand system does it have traceable roots to any of the Okinawan masters?I train in Ryu Kyu Kobudo,Akamine/Taira lineage. Tom Hodges

E.elemental
5th September 2004, 11:18
Originally posted by harleyt26
What system of kobudo do you train in?If it is part of your empty hand system does it have traceable roots to any of the Okinawan masters?I train in Ryu Kyu Kobudo,Akamine/Taira lineage. Tom Hodges

I train with the Ryukyu Kobujutsu Hozon Shinko Kai (Sweden). Thats the Taira/Inoue lineage, so I suppose your and mine Kihon/Kata/Kumite are very much the same. :)

I must take the opportunite to ask a question concerning Timbe and Rochin. Sometimes the well known short-spear is replaced by a kind of "machete". Does anybody know the name for this?

Robby Bray
9th September 2004, 00:51
Is it a machete like tool, or a Rochin with a machete like blade attached to it? Lots of different Rochin blades out there. The fact that there are only a few Okinawan Rochin Kata out there, and even less teachers who truly understand and can teach the kata, it does not surprise me that you've seen a machete like instrument in its place. At what level is the Timbe and Rochin graded in your system?

desparoz
9th September 2004, 01:59
I practise the Shishiryu Bojutsu style, which is incorporated into the Shorinjiryu Karate of Kori Hisataka (Kudaka).

Obviously the main weapon is the rokushaku bo, but also practised is the sai, and less commonly, the jo, eku, yari and tanjo.

Best wishes

Des

Liam Cognet
9th September 2004, 04:57
I recall the machette-rochin being called a matayoshi rochin or something like that. I discoverd this somwhere on this site: www.karate.org.yu

E.elemental
9th September 2004, 11:19
Originally posted by Robby Bray
Is it a machete like tool, or a Rochin with a machete like blade attached to it? Lots of different Rochin blades out there. The fact that there are only a few Okinawan Rochin Kata out there, and even less teachers who truly understand and can teach the kata, it does not surprise me that you've seen a machete like instrument in its place. At what level is the Timbe and Rochin graded in your system?

I will send a picture of the "machete" my question concerns, in my organisation to my knowledge we use the Rochin shaped like a short spear. Therefore I am not familiar with the "machete" type.

In my system the Timbe and Rochin first appear in Shinsa to 3:rd Dan. So I have a long way there. ;) The name of the Kata is Kanigawa No Tinbe.

http://www.rkhsk.se/KamaochTimbekumite.wmv

Here is a little film-clip of Kumite with Timbe.

chizikunbo
26th September 2004, 14:27
RyuKyu Kobudo Uhugushuku/Nakumura/odo mostley

chizikunbo
26th September 2004, 14:30
I will send a picture of the "machete" my question concerns, in my organisation to my knowledge we use the Rochin shaped like a short spear. Therefore I am not familiar with the "machete" type.

In my system the Timbe and Rochin first appear in Shinsa to 3:rd Dan. So I have a long way there. The name of the Kata is Kanigawa No Tinbe.

http://www.rkhsk.se/KamaochTimbekumite.wmv

Here is a little film-clip of Kumite with Timbe.

That kumite had it been real would have ended alot faster thn that, especially with kama, one would have been used to catch and hold te weapon the other to cut (the opponet) it would have been short and sweet ;)

Nobody
8th April 2008, 00:05
I train with the Ryukyu Kobujutsu Hozon Shinko Kai (Sweden). Thats the Taira/Inoue lineage, so I suppose your and mine Kihon/Kata/Kumite are very much the same. :)

I must take the opportunite to ask a question concerning Timbe and Rochin. Sometimes the well known short-spear is replaced by a kind of "machete". Does anybody know the name for this?

The machete style rochin is only practiced in Matayoshi kobudo, to my knowledge. In that system it is referred to as a seiryuto.

TimJurgens
17th April 2008, 16:07

I am a student of the Ryukyu Kobudo Hozon Shinko Kai Hombu in Okinawa Japan. I train mostly with Akamine Hiroshi Sensei, but have also been able to take a number of lessons from a number of other senior insturctors in the lineage including Kuniyoshi Sensei, Tamayose Sensei, Shiroma Sensei, Yoshimoto Sensei, Kina Sensei, and Yoza Sensei. I have also been lucky enough to see Yonamine Sensei, and Takara Sensei going through their paces in the dojo and have received some advice and corrections from them as well. At the end of the day however, primarially I train with the current Association President, Akmine Sensei.

Our kata and the grades at which they are taught are all listed at www.ryukyu-kobudo.com

Robby Bray
17th April 2008, 17:29
Hi Tim, my name is Robby Bray and I am a student of Tamayose Hidemi and Donald Shapland. First off I would like to say it is a pleasure to talk with you and hope we can keep talking in the future. True practicioners of Ryukyu Kobudo I have found out over the last 8 years are few and far between. When I say true practioners, I mean students that are working out and training in kobudo two - three times a week consistantly. I was wondering when you said that you have trained with Tamayose Sensei, what were some of the differences, if any, that you noticed. I would love to train with some of the Hozon Shinko kai members for fun and good spirits just to see how close everything is and get to know some other people that are practicing the same thing.
SIncerely Robby Bray

Timo
18th April 2008, 05:10
Hello all.I train Matsubayashi ryu kobudo down here in New Zealand by way of Taira dojo,Urasoe city Okinawa. Bo,Sai and Kama are buki for me at this stage of my development.

Regards,
Tim H

Duanew
18th April 2008, 18:31
In Matsumura Kenpo we do the kata developed by Kuda Yuichi along with Sukuganu(sp?) Sai and Sakugawa Nu Kon. I know the bo kata comes from his family lineage. I don't know what lineage/instructors he would credit.

Shorin Ryuu
18th April 2008, 20:06
I study Ryukyu Kobudo and the kobudo of Shinei Kyan.

My instructor is Sensei Pat Nakata, who trained under Sensei Fumio Nagaishi and Kyan Sensei.

Nagaishi Sensei trained under Taira Sensei and Kyan Sensei, and assisted Akamine Sensei in teaching classes after Taira Sensei passed away.

The weapons are completely unrelated to our empty hand, which is the karate of Sensei Chibana Chosin (Shorin Ryu). Nakata Sensei was a student of Chibana Chosin.

With regards to Shinei Kyan, it is my understanding that he wasn't necessarily a Matsubayashi karate man, but due to his friendship with Nagamine Sensei, taught weapons to Nagamine Sensei's students.

Timo
18th April 2008, 21:38
Hello John.Interesting comments about Kyan Shinyei there.I have never come across any literature or been told otherwise while training in Okinawa that he wasn't anything else than a Matsubayashi Ryu practitioner.I'm eager to find any info regarding this,him as i'm trying to source kobudo lineage lines especially to Bo kata's Shiromatsu and Shirotaro via the Chojo,Kina and Hanashiro lines.

Regards,
Tim H

TimJurgens
20th April 2008, 17:17
Hi Tim, my name is Robby Bray and I am a student of Tamayose Hidemi and Donald Shapland. First off I would like to say it is a pleasure to talk with you and hope we can keep talking in the future. True practicioners of Ryukyu Kobudo I have found out over the last 8 years are few and far between. When I say true practioners, I mean students that are working out and training in kobudo two - three times a week consistantly. I was wondering when you said that you have trained with Tamayose Sensei, what were some of the differences, if any, that you noticed. I would love to train with some of the Hozon Shinko kai members for fun and good spirits just to see how close everything is and get to know some other people that are practicing the same thing.
SIncerely Robby Bray

I trained with him before he formed Tessinkan, so what he was teaching was fundamentally the same as what the Hombu was teaching. Even now I belive the differences are subtle at most, but he would be the best to tell you what he may have changed and why.

Regards,

Tim

Sanseru
20th April 2008, 19:57
My Kobudo teacher was Minowa Katsuhiko, a student of the Ryukyu Kobudo Hozon Shinko Kai founder Taira Shinken. I also train with one of his senior students Yoshimura Hiroshi.