PDA

View Full Version : Is this genuine?

OodlesOfNoodles
6th September 2004, 16:06
Sorry, for posting here, but I didn't know where el;se to put it. Is Getsu Yama Ryu Kenpo a REAL style? Or is it just some made up crap for a McDojo? This is the website I got it from. I'm thinking about going if it is authentic, as there are no Shirenji Kempo dojos around me. http://www.dallaskenpo.com/styles.html

satsukikorin
6th September 2004, 21:26
It's not traditional, if that's what you mean. By their own advertising, it's a construction, a hybrid, a thoroughly American-bred style.

On the negative side, I think no Japanese would name their style "Getsu Yama Ryu" using the characters given by that dojo. The reading would be "Tsukiyama ryu" (capitals and spaces are unimportant).

Personally, I'd be more interested in looking into the Heike-ryu jujitsu and the aiki-jujutsu that's being taught out of the same dojo.

In any case, it's free to visit, right?

OodlesOfNoodles
6th September 2004, 22:32
Yeah, I think so.I AM interested in jiu-jitsu and Aikido, but just haven't used my time to look for dojos in Arlinghton Texas yet. Any genuine dojos here?

tsurashi shondo
6th September 2004, 22:48
Originally posted by OodlesOfNoodles
Is Getsu Yama Ryu Kenpo a REAL style? Or is it just some made up crap for a McDojo? T

I don't think it's really a "style" per se,more of a western hybrid. It looks a whole lot like kajukenbo/E.P.A.K. to me.
McDojo ? Who knows.....the dojo in the photos and clips looks like a nicely appointed facility....so I'm sure it's a fairly commercially minded school.
They seem to be teaching a decent American Kenpo variant. I'd say check it out and then let us know what you found out.
I did E.P.A.Kempo for over a decade, I think it offers much to the student.

OodlesOfNoodles
7th September 2004, 01:36
FYI, I looked for Sirinji kempo near me but didn't find anything. I didn't look real hard though. Anyone know anything?

Tripitaka of AA
7th September 2004, 04:08
Hi there James.

Try this site for a listing of recognised Dojo (http://wsko.econ-net.or.jp/list/) that are teaching "Shorinji Kempo" (please be accurate with your spelling, it could make a huge difference to how successful your Net searches will be).

Shorinji is the Japanese reading of the Chinese characters ?_—ÑŽ› (on Internet Explorer, select View, Encoding, Japanese if those last characters don't show as Kanji), the Chinese would read them as "Shaolin-su"... or in English, "Shaolin Temple".

Although there are hundreds of Chinese (and some Japanese) styles that trace their roots back to the Shaolin Temple, the name "Shorinji Kempo" is very specific indeed. It is the title of the art founded in Japan in 1947 by Doshin So. It is actually a trademarked name around the world, hence the emphasis on accurate spelling :).

I hope you find something to study in your area. Best of luck.