PDA

View Full Version : Belgium makes the best beer......

Steve Williams
7th September 2004, 22:32
Yes or no?

2groggy
7th September 2004, 22:51
Ooh, that's a tough one. Chimay is Belgian, correct? So I'd have to agree.

Greg Dow

Mekugi
7th September 2004, 22:54
Sez you...no way.

Jay Bell
7th September 2004, 23:38
Nu-uh. Damn good, but not best.

SKalogre
8th September 2004, 01:52
No way around it. YES

Starting with the Flemish red ales (mmmm Duchesse de Bourgogne) to the wheat, citrus-like witbiers up to the heavy, incredibly complex trappist ales (like Trappistes Rochefort). So many styles, so many excellent beers.
:D

szczepan
8th September 2004, 04:06
Not only THE best, but also most sophisticated!!!!
Triple fermentation, I tell you........Clear French culture influence.

Duvel forever!!!!!!! :beer:

CEB
8th September 2004, 04:17
Is Belgium where Blatz or Stag is made???

Shimura
8th September 2004, 05:04
I'll agree Chimay is fantastic, but I would have to place by beer loyality with the Bavarian brews.

MikeWilliams
8th September 2004, 13:19
An emphatic YES. Your tastes may lean towards beers from other countries, but for sheer diversity and sophistication*, Belgium is at the absolute pinnacle of brewing culture.

(*or the reverse - geueze lambic is brewed by just about the oldest, most primitive method: natural fermentation in open vats. Which is probably why it tastes like vinegar.)

Make sure you steer clear of the mass-produced lagers like Stella Artois, Jupiler or Maes. They're not very good at all.

Blackwood
8th September 2004, 14:06
I would concur that as a whole Belgian brews are top of the line. But there are a multitude of good brews that can be found from all sorts of brewers from every country in the world.

I have personally tasted over 400 different beers from some 20+ countries. Check out www.ratebeer.com, look for aggie80.

Okashira
8th September 2004, 15:30
Originally posted by Shimura
I'll agree Chimay is fantastic, but I would have to place by beer loyality with the Bavarian brews.

Well, count me in aswell.

Amphinon
8th September 2004, 18:06
I'm partial to their waffles!

gsx1100s
13th September 2004, 03:38
Yes you're 100% correct. I prefer Leffe more than Chimay but they are all superb!

cheers Michael Stafford

BigJon
13th September 2004, 08:00
Having just come from Le Grande Place...The beer I tried tasted like Miller with perfume spilled in it...BUT, I know there are many more excellent ones! Chemay is good, but there are many local trappist styles that I didn't have time to try...I think it was called Leffe of Jeffe blonde...not my favorite.....pas mal.

gsx1100s
14th September 2004, 00:11
Originally posted by Jon G.
Having just come from Le Grande Place...The beer I tried tasted like Miller with perfume spilled in it...BUT, I know there are many more excellent ones! Chemay is good, but there are many local trappist styles that I didn't have time to try...I think it was called Leffe of Jeffe blonde...not my favorite.....pas mal.

You're correct It's called Leffe Blonde . There are a few varietys of it ,there's a darker one although the blonde has more flavour.

cheers Michael Stafford