PDA

View Full Version : Question about starting a club

TyroneTurner
10th September 2004, 18:55
Good day ladies and gentlemen.

In the next couple of years, I intend on having the blessing of my instructors to start a club of my own. I'm looking at setting up shop at a YMCA / YWCA or a college. I've been doing my homework on these types of organizations and what they require, but I'm looking for additional ideas on how to "dazzle" them. Based on your experiences, besides a letter from my instructors, what other things would be helpful to present to administrators to get a club started?

Thank you in advance and have a great weekend.

Blackwood
10th September 2004, 20:26
Backup. What happens if you get sick? Do you have access to other individuals that can substitute for you? Show them you've got it covered.

Will there be any increase in revenue for them? Will you be bringing in new members or is this just aimed at the existing clients?

It would also be appropriate to have a set of questions regarding their facilities and support staff. Nothing makes it look professional as having a set of things you are looking for in a place to teach, not just begging for space. Such things as their emergency plan, availability of ice, trained first aid personnel, communcations set-up, changing rooms, flooring materials, mat availability, cleanliness of the room. I hate working out bare foot in a room where people have just been working out using street shoes. Those sorts of things.

I suggest having a full example packet of what you will provide the students when they join.

Check out my info packet for ideas: Blackwood Dojo (http://www.mendersdojo.com/Kids/Blackwood/CLCInformation.htm)

Robert Wolfe
11th September 2004, 01:40
Another thing you'd want to make certain is that you'd be covered by the YMCA's liability insurance.

John Haag
7th October 2004, 15:05
Originally posted by Blackwood

I suggest having a full example packet of what you will provide the students when they join.

Check out my info packet for ideas: Blackwood Dojo (http://www.mendersdojo.com/Kids/Blackwood/CLCInformation.htm)

Mark-
I really enjoyed your post and I highly recomend that everyone interested in clearly defining the vision on their school/dojo use the link he provided and find a good example.

Your Brother
John

CIM-BA
23rd December 2004, 03:12
Originally posted by John Haag
Mark-
I really enjoyed your post and I highly recomend that everyone interested in clearly defining the vision on their school/dojo use the link he provided and find a good example.

Your Brother
John

I was thinking a similar thing - nice information! Definately the same thing that we continue 'telling' the kids, but you have organized it well!

Rogier
23rd December 2004, 16:47
good god... so simple, but so darn good. I've made the first step in making a website for our dojo and all groups are finally becoming interested.

I'm going to show them this and if you don't mind I'm going to steal your idea and add something similar to our own site.