PDA

View Full Version : Meditation and Iaido

gsx1100s
13th September 2004, 23:47
I recently discovered the importance of meditation in Iaido,that is to say I don't know how to, and realized I should.
:(
I was concentrating so hard to get the Kata right that my breathing was non existant and my movements jerky and far from fluid. I'm sure the only damage I would have done to my imaginary opponent was a stitch from laughing themselves silly.
Can anyone suggest a referance for meditation ?
many thanks,

Michael Stafford

kmorgan
14th September 2004, 00:46
Michael, I don't know how long you're been doing iai, but it sounds like it hasn't been to long. As your body/mind learn the kata the focus becomes easier to do. You tend to have to focus on correcting one part of your iai kata at a time,(breathing, noto etc.), so as to not have a dozen things bouncing through your head at once. Not to say you let everything else go to hell, but try to change one thing at a time.
Sorry I don't have any specific meditation techniques for you, I just try to control my breathing and focus one whats in front of me.

gsx1100s
14th September 2004, 01:59
You're correct on the lack of experience , I just started this year.
:) Thanks for the advice

cheers Michael Stafford

Goro
19th September 2004, 02:31
Meditation will enhance everything you do let alone your iaijutsu.

These methods are the exact science for meditation. Oftentimes, during martial arts practice, the ego can blur our fluidity and how 'clean' we perform, so IMHO all of the methods at the link should compliment your training!

Good luck!

Sincerely,:)

Goro
19th September 2004, 02:35
:rolleyes: Here you are, just scroll down to the links and you'll find a new area of training. Good luck!

http://www.gnosis-usa.com/medit%20topic.html

Kind regards,

Lee Marsh
19th September 2004, 16:08
"Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind," by Shunryu Suzuki. Just substitute the word "kata" everywhere he says sitting or zazen.

gsx1100s
19th September 2004, 23:28
Many thanks to you all for your help,

regards michael stafford

Loukopoulos
20th September 2004, 21:51
If you practice something, a single technique for example, over and over, over several years, I believe you will achieve meditation. You will achieve it, but perhaps you may not be able to explain it to others. Those observing your movement, deportment, technical execution may make comments to describe your movement as smoothe, fluid, with perfect 'kime', and you could do all that regardless of existing distractions.

Meditation can be practiced for the sake of just practicing it and not for expected results. I am not able to make reading recommendations at this time, but one book that comes to mind and is a great intoduction to zen way of thinking is "Zen Flesh Zen Bones."

Hang in there,

Katherine Loukopoulos