PDA

View Full Version : Daito Ryu Instructors

soc
16th September 2004, 20:47
I was going to learn aikido but happened to watch a class at my local ymca and noticed the instructor wearing a hakama. I thought to myself wow aikido in a ymca! I soon found out it was daito ryu! Now before I jump in and join I want to know authentic names of legit instructors as the instructor of the ymca said his sensei is a japanese man. Now he did not give a name but I will press him later about it once I know who is real and who is not as I don't want to waste my or his time with learning daito ryu "like" techniques. I am hoping he saids his lineage is from Kondo sensei line. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated as I can also go to an aikikai school that is affiliated with Yamada sensei. Thank You...by the way I live in the OH area...

Eric Borton

kokumo
16th September 2004, 23:07
Originally posted by soc
I can also go to an aikikai school that is affiliated with Yamada sensei. Thank You...by the way I live in the OH area...

Eric Borton

Eric --

Ohio is a pretty big place.....and there are good dojo affiliated with people other than Yamada there.

Take your time, check out all your options.

Anybody who is legitimate will be clear about their affiliation, whatever it may be, but my experience is that there's as much variation among dojo affiliated with any one particular shihan as there is across organizational lines.

For many people, the most important consideration is that the dojo is close enough that they can make it to practice regulalry. Others will travel 40 or 50 miles to study with a particular teacher.

The key is what helps you maintain your practice.

Good luck with your search.

Fred Little

soc
17th September 2004, 02:20
Originally posted by kokumo
Eric --

Ohio is a pretty big place.....and there are good dojo affiliated with people other than Yamada there.

Take your time, check out all your options.

Anybody who is legitimate will be clear about their affiliation, whatever it may be, but my experience is that there's as much variation among dojo affiliated with any one particular shihan as there is across organizational lines.

For many people, the most important consideration is that the dojo is close enough that they can make it to practice regulalry. Others will travel 40 or 50 miles to study with a particular teacher.

The key is what helps you maintain your practice.

Good luck with your search.

Fred Little

I am actually in the Cincinnati , OH area. Does anyone know of a good Yoshinkai or Iwama based aikido? Also if anyone knows of a daito ryu school or club or whatever then could you please give the name as I may help when I learn the lineage of this instructor. And yes, I am taking my time to know who to train because finding the right teacher IS important...

Eric

Cady Goldfield
20th September 2004, 15:05
There is an aikido forum in the Gendai section of E-Budo. You'll probably get responses if you post there about Iwama and other aikido lines.

Greg Jennings
20th September 2004, 16:57
Originally posted by soc
I am actually in the Cincinnati , OH area. Does anyone know of a good Yoshinkai or Iwama based aikido?
Only because this didn't show up in the aikido forum...

Eric, drop me an e-mail at gregs_shell_account@yahoo.com . I can point you to several dojo in your area.

Sorry for the interruption,

BudoGrrl
22nd September 2004, 03:28
I used to live in Cincinnati.

There is Aikido of Cincinnati at 4727 Red Bank Road

www.aikidocincy.com

Big dojo with a HUGE mat. Reasonably priced<$60 a month> and friendly instructors. I only left because I lost my job. :-( But I HIGHLY recommend it!

Alex Schellinger

climbthis
30th September 2004, 19:33
hey eric

welcome to aikido...or aikijujutsu...whatever you choose. anyways, you'd mentioned in a previous post that you were looking for some yoshinkan aikido...and you mentioned also Yamada Sensei.

then you're in luck, because the instructor at aikido of cincinnati is Charllie McGinnis, who according to the website studied yoshinkan aikido for a long time, and is now highly ranked in the USAF under Yamada Sensei.

check it out. have fun

practice hard
jerome cervantes

wagnerphysed
10th October 2004, 11:37
It seems as though you have moved on to looking for Aikido. But, just out of curiosity, did you happen to get the name of the instructor teaching Daito-ryu in the YMCA?

soc
19th October 2004, 17:24
Starting in November I plan on enrolling at the Cincinnati aikido. I saw the facility and it is quite huge. Plus the practice times are frequent and more flexible for me.

I was able to take one class of the DR from I believe his name was York sensei. That was the day I signed up. Due to my schedule and quite a few cancelled classes due to medical reasons in his family I was unfortunately unable to experience the essence of DR. I guess it was not meant to be. :( ... Anyhow, they are gonna refund the tuition for all that signed up for the course and so I will use the refund to sign up for aikido.

I really wanted to experience the flavor of DR as I feel that would help me understand the aikido of O sensei. Just from what I have observed the atemi in aikido is seriously lacking and not enough empahsis is placed on it since imho that is needed to initiate the leading and thus blending of the chi/mind/intention of the attacker.

DoctorWho
24th July 2007, 01:10
If anyone has any recent information on York Sensei and whether he is still teaching in Cincinnati please email me.