PDA

View Full Version : promotions and growth

Kamiyama
17th September 2004, 07:10
Mike Chaney and Chris Adams were promoted to SHODAN this week by Ralph Severe.

Both have put in a hard 3 years to get to this level.. now their journey begins...

ralph severe, kamiyama

The Nephilim
17th September 2004, 10:45
only 3?

:D

xplasma
17th September 2004, 14:38
I been training 3 years and I am a Nana-Kyu (7th). 3 years to a Shodan seem a bit shaky. And don't give me "they train alot" cause I train 6 days a week at the dojo. Well Its still better then the 2 year Shodans some Bujinkan schools are giving out.

tenchijin2
17th September 2004, 15:14
3 years is the number Hatsumi sensei says is appropriate.

tsurashi shondo
17th September 2004, 15:18
Ralph, congrads to your students. They look elated.
What kind of testing do you put them through for shodan in your school?

Kreth
17th September 2004, 17:04
Originally posted by xplasma
I been training 3 years and I am a Nana-Kyu (7th). 3 years to a Shodan seem a bit shaky. And don't give me "they train alot" cause I train 6 days a week at the dojo. Well Its still better then the 2 year Shodans some Bujinkan schools are giving out.
Or maybe you really suck? :D

Jeff

xplasma
17th September 2004, 22:20
Originally posted by Kreth
Or maybe you really suck? :D

Jeff

Well you are a Bujinkan, so that means I am already better then you. :D

BigJon
17th September 2004, 22:43
Easy there cactus....

pete lohstroh
17th September 2004, 22:50
Mr. Chasanoff,
according to your profile, you train in Bushi Shinden Ryu Ninpou-BuJutsu. Is this correct?

xplasma
17th September 2004, 23:06
Originally posted by pete lohstroh
Mr. Chasanoff,
according to your profile, you train in Bushi Shinden Ryu Ninpou-BuJutsu. Is this correct?

correct I train at the Bushikai Hombu Dojo.

Kamiyama
18th September 2004, 00:27
Ralph, congrads to your students. They look elated.
What kind of testing do you put them through for shodan in your school?

Sean,
I really test over the last 6 months of the student training.. in classes.

Watch their basic skills and how they deal with stress, fear, leadership, school clean-up, uniforms, dealing with sparring against one or more students, their living conditions, family dealings, weaponry skills...
It is hard to have a set outline because everyone is so different..
I tried that already over the years.. a few times.. just way to heard on me and on the student..
Then when I feel they are at a point.. I give them a sakki test..
Both of these guys got smashed on their first testing.. LOL.. sorry.

I really have two Japanese classes here..
One is general ryu... more or less basic and solid.
The other is Kobujutsu Jissen Keiko.. very strict and very formal.. nothing but ryu bukijutsu..

Mike Chaney is a member of the Kobujutsu class.
I only allow 8 members into the classes each week.
I have only 8 members then.. in that class.
They get graded totally differently.

Thanks for asking..

By the way.. I feel 3 years is ok.. for the level of Shodan..
I feel it is up to the trainer helping you alone your path in Bujutsu to ponder where you go with ranking under them.
Example...
It then takes about two years or more from Shodan to Nidan and 3 years or more from Nidan to Sandan.. in MY system.. not the Bujinkan Dojo.
It took me 8 and 1/2 years to reach the Black Belt level in the Bujinkan Dojo.. but 6 months later I was a Sandan and one year later I was a Godan.. etc... silly.

Ranking mean nothing....
It is the honor, respect and integrity one matures into as a warrior in ranking within my system... the rank license for money.

Be honest.

ralph severe, kamiyama

HinodeBuddha
29th September 2004, 22:08
Some folks reach shodan level in a matter of months. Everyone is an individual.

Kamiyama
29th September 2004, 22:29
I agree Lyle.

The other school here in McKinney Texas who is a megadan under the Bujinkan banner... has students ranked at yondan in the same time training that I have studnets ranked at nidan..
Different trainers have different levels of what they teach and how they feel about the students progress.

My opinion is students have to mature over time to fully understand the complex techniques and attributes of a warrior and ranking to fast only sets students up for problems with ego and fear in the furture.

But from my experience with the Bujinkan I can understand the ranking and more or less why it's GIVEN and not earned.

ralph severe, kamiyama

John Haag
1st October 2004, 14:56
Well you are a Bujinkan, so that means I am already better then you. :D
Surely you are both more mature than this aren't you?
Come on.
:rolleyes:

xplasma
2nd October 2004, 21:39
Originally posted by John Haag
Surely you are both more mature than this aren't you?
Come on.
:rolleyes:

:D = sacarism

He gave me a scaristic jab, so I gave him on back. I think it is you that need to relax and not take things so seriously.

notknown
3rd October 2004, 02:56
training time and belts... what does it really mean anyway. Are you learning anything? Are you having fun? I have changed schools from moving around so many times that I think I started as a white belt 6 different times (not counting those where you go for a couple weeks or month and think this place just doesn't feel right).

In most cases studying at least 12 to 18 mos (ok I must admit one was only 5 mos because the instructor closed shop took all the money and left town) and in 2 other cases studying 24 and 32 mos respectively to what ... go back to white belt because I moved to an area where that "style" was not being taught.

Oh well maybe if I count all those years it would mean what?

I know -- I can add .. or stick with a more 'generic' style .. or even better -- don't move.....take your choice

Anyway train hard, enjoy what you do, and worry about yourself...because that is the only true measure.

And before I forget ...

Congratulations to Mike and Chris .. good job guys !!!

Joel H.
3rd October 2004, 05:45
There is no definative age or time requirment for the rank of black belt. I once saw a despute where a nidan said that the shodan was ill-trained since it took the nidan 6 years to reach shodan but the shodan only trained for 3 years(two diffrent styles) Any way during the seminar the shodan gave the nidan such a beating that he felt he didn't deserve his rank.

Sure you train 6 days a week, but for how long?

I train all day even in between colege classes. I rest for 1 1/2 days. I will deffanatly assend faster than someone who only trains in class for 1 or 2 hours every day.

John Haag
3rd October 2004, 13:25
:D = sacarism

He gave me a scaristic jab, so I gave him on back. I think it is you that need to relax and not take things so seriously.

Then I clearly misunderstood.
Sorry to Leap like that.

I'll switch to decaf...
:cool:

Your Brother
John