PDA

View Full Version : Kenjutsu in Toronto?

Ripshaft
19th September 2004, 02:29
I've had a very long standing interest in sword arts, and determined Kenjutsu to be the right way to go quite some time ago as well. The only problem is, I have no idea where to go for training, even with the right information, it's extremely difficult to find a location that teaches Kenjutsu and not Kendo.

Anyways, I really hope that someone here can help me out with my problem, as I've been searching for years and havent really made any progress. I lack the knowledge to make the find on my own, and really need to have someone point me in the right direction.

So if you know any Kenjutsu dojos in Toronto or the surrounding area, please let me know, and I will put the knowledge to good use.

gendzwil
19th September 2004, 17:12
Guelph is an hour or more away from Toronto. Also an option is iaido through Taylor-sensei's sensei, Goyo Ohmi. Ohmi-sensei teaches at JCCC.

Charles Mahan
19th September 2004, 20:08
There is also a Canadian Iaido Association, Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu dojo in Oshawa, http://www.iaido.ca/links/dojos.php James Broadwell(4th dan) holds classes at Durham College Athletic Center.

kmorgan
19th September 2004, 20:31
Here try the CKF site, it has all the dojo's listed, including the ones that do Iaido.
http://kendo-canada.com/ckf_dojoadr.htm
Which part of Toronto are you in?
There are dojo's in the West end, Downtown and East end. Or you can visit any of us just outside the city.
Good luck,

kmorgan
19th September 2004, 22:47
Travel times:
Downtown Toronto to Guelph - 1 hour.
Downtown Hamilton to Guelph - 1/2 hour.

Joseph Svinth
21st September 2004, 01:31
It's 75 km (46 miles) from Pearson Airport in Toronto to Guelph, and the trip costs CDN $140 one-way via taxi.

http://www.city.guelph.on.ca/document.cfm?documentid=3373&category=879

http://pas.chembio.uoguelph.ca/~michael/to_guelph.html .

Ripshaft
25th September 2004, 21:43
Sorry I've been very busy with a new job lately, I only now have time to write a decent reply.

First off, thank you for your prompt replies, and for the most part, your information has definately been helpful. However there are a couple issues....

First off, growing up in Toronto, I've always taken public transit or just walking as a way of life, as it's really the only way to get anywhere in the city. I've never had a need for a vehicle, even now that I'm living in Hamilton. And, needless to say, the lack of a vehicle really complicates travel to Guelph. Though I can find people to drive me around the area, even all the way to Toronto, getting someone to drive me to Guelph is quite the stretch hehe.

Next, I've been referred the CKF homepage many times while searching for a dojo, however I always explicitly say I am looking for Kenjutsu not Kendo. Is there something I'm missing on the page?

Although the quelph location seems the most promising, that perhaps isnt saying too much, from their site, it seems to be more Iaido than Kenjutsu, in fact I can hardly find any mention or allusion of it... could someone with knowledge on the Dojo help me out with just what exactly is teached there? I've tried to educate myself as much as possible in the terminology and common phrases, though some of the references there elude me, and I cant make too much sence of the site.

hyaku
25th September 2004, 23:04
Here

http://ejmas.com/tin/2004tin/tinart_taylor_3_0804.html

shinchaku
26th September 2004, 02:02
I believe there is a Niten Ichi Ryu study group under the guidance of Reg Hardman Sensei, that is taught out of the Kageyama Dojo in downtown Toronto.

kmorgan
26th September 2004, 02:34
Kim Taylor teaches Jodo on Tuesday evenings, Iaido on Friday evenings and on Sunday we learn iaido, jodo and Niten. On occasion we dig deep into Kim's memory and do many, many other things.
If you have something specific in mind you may be out of luck. Are you looking for a particular style of Kenjutsu?
Anyway feel free to send me an email/PM and I'll get you more info, or just pop by one day and see what we do. If you like it stay, if not continue your search.
Best of Luck,

hyaku
26th September 2004, 03:44
Thanks very much gentlemen. Mr Hardman (appropriate name) is another of our very hard working members.

Kim Taylor
5th October 2004, 02:28
To the best of my knowledge, there is, in the St. Catherines area a group that does Daito-ryu, a group that does a form of Katori Shintoryu and a newer group that also does daito-ryu and Itto-ryu. The Itto-ryu group is bringing over their sensei (Okabayashi Shogen of Osaka Japan)soon.

In Toronto is Reg Hardman doing Niten, and a couple of groups doing jodo, some of the same and others doing either Muso Jikiden Eishin ryu or Muso Shinden ryu. The kendo group in Burlington does Kendo no Kata regularly.

The various folks in the kendo federation are usually pretty aware of what arts are present in their area which is why, even if you don't want to do kendo you might want to get in touch with them while looking for kenjutsu, (whatever that means to you).

Kim.

Ripshaft
6th October 2004, 22:04
Once again my appologies for my less than prompt replies, but my project at work has been keeping me very busy and sleep deprived.

Anyways, thanks to those who have replied since my last post, especially Kim Taylor, you've provided me with information I have never heard before.

Anyways, I seem to be out of date on my terminology, and I suppose I've made it somewhat unclear what I'm looking for.

From Kim's post, I can assume that Kenjutsu is more of a generic term than I once thought. I am looking for a place that will teach me the workings of the sword, in it's original, unadulterated form, which is to say, for combat, not sport, or inner well being, or whatever else they use to pitch the new forms for. Of course, I'm not going to be whipping out a Katana in a street fight anytime soon, but for my personal purposes, this is what I want to learn.

Now, hopefully that's clear now, I also have some questions about some of the terminology:

Iaido - This is the study of pulling the sword and striking immediately, esentially completely devoted to the first strike. Am I right on this one?

Jodo - Havent heard this one before, can someone educate me on this?

Niten - Only heard this as part of names before, what is it?

Thanks again for all your help, I'm definately further along on my search now thanks to you.

Charles Mahan
6th October 2004, 22:17
Originally posted by Ripshaft
Iaido - This is the study of pulling the sword and striking immediately, esentially completely devoted to the first strike. Am I right on this one?

No you're a bit off. Iaido is a form of Kenjutsu which puts extra emphasis on dominating the first few moments of a confrontation, That portion of the fight that begins with the sword still in the saya and ends after the first cut. That is not to say however that we only cut once and then we're done. There is a lot of stuff that comes after the first cut. All that stuff is trained also, but the driving focus is to gain dominance early and then never give up an inch.

This focus drives certain priorities in the training curriculum. One of these priorities is that to train effectively in Iai you must have a sword with a saya, because you cannot work on nukitsuke(the drawing cut) without one. Bokuto really don't cut it either, so to speak. It needs to be a shinken(live blade), or at least an iaito(unsharpened practice sword). Obviously if you are doing the bulk of training with steel,(or processed steel food product), the bulk of training will be solo. Thus the emphasis on solo waza work.

Jodo - Havent heard this one before, can someone educate me on this?

Jodo the art for people with impeccable timing who wish use a 4 foot thumb thick staff to do nasty things to people with swords.

Kim Taylor
6th October 2004, 22:45
"I am looking for a place that will teach me the workings of the sword, in it's original, unadulterated form, which is to say, for combat, not sport, or inner well being, or whatever else they use to pitch the new forms for."

Ah-ha, well that would of course be the UWFC, the ultimate weapons fighting championships that you're looking for. I'm afraid all the older Japanese weapon arts have some sort of self improvement tacked onto them, the theory being that nobody fights with swords any more so the only reason you'd want to mess with them is as a hobby or some sort of self improvement thing.

The UWFC guys though are taking it back to the real deal. No sissy stuff, just what works in full contact.

They can be hard to find, dueling being illegal and all that rubbish, but if you do (and it's a personal introduction sort of thing), be sure that you get a battle-ready sword if you join, there's a lot of inferior blades out there. Broken blades flying across the field can injure spectators and fellow competitors.

Kim.

Ripshaft
7th October 2004, 02:07
lol that's not quite what I meant hehe, though it is a good thing to know there's a decently well known underground movement keeping the spirit alive. I'm thinking more bokken-ish than live blade-ish. (IE no problem getting beat the crap out of, but dont really want to lose any fingers just yet, and a good blade is beyond my reach right now)

I just want to practice and get some basis for my skills. I'm not saying it can't have some other stuff tacked on, I just want the core of my studies to be on the combat portion. If UWFC is the only way to get that... well I'm pretty sure it's not lol

heh, wasnt expecting that post, but it's informative nontheless, thanks

Kim Taylor
7th October 2004, 03:26
Well gosh Derek now I'm even more confused about what you want to study.

;-)

Look, here's the thing, folks who go into the arts looking for something specific generally don't find it. The students who have stayed the longest in my classes tend to be the ones that wander in the door without any idea of what they're in for. (And there's a good reason for that).

But my best advice to anyone who wants to get into the martial arts is really quite simple.

Find the best instructor you can, and study whatever he is teaching. Period.

This applies to ANYTHING not just the martial arts, if you run across a great yoga instructor, GO DO THAT because great instructors are not common. Ever, in any era.

Now "best" means many things, but most important amongst all of them is availability and the ability to teach you. You won't learn from someone who isn't in the same province and you won't learn from someone who can't connect with you, can't figure out how to knock the stuffing out of you and insert what's needed.

Get out and look at what's around, go to a kendo class, go to an iaido class, go to a jodo class, check out the instructors. One of them will appeal to you, go do that.

These things aren't secret, at least not around here, and if they are, move on... unless secret appeals to you. Then you sign the blood oath, pay the dues and sit in the rain outside the gate for a week. Hope it's worth it.

Kim.

kmorgan
7th October 2004, 16:47
Originally posted by Kim Taylor

Look, here's the thing, folks who go into the arts looking for something specific generally don't find it. The students who have stayed the longest in my classes tend to be the ones that wander in the door without any idea of what they're in for. (And there's a good reason for that).

Kim.

Umm because we all have no life and you buy the beer after class?:D

Howard Thiery
7th October 2004, 17:06
What I find interesting is the wealth of oportunity there is in and about the Toronto area to study with not only legitimate but highly regarded sensei. (I would give my eye teeth for a similar menu) yet none seem to be meeting Mr.Derek's expectations.

Just an observation....made in no small part from a bit of jealousy on my part.

cheers,

gendzwil
7th October 2004, 17:10
Yes, they're so good we import them to the prairies to help out - Kimura-sensei will be in Winnipeg next week (along with Murao-sensei) to teach at the annual Manitoba Kendo Club seminar, and Kamata-sensei is returning to Saskatoon to teach our seminar first weekend in March. Both men are top-notch kendo instructors who live in the Toronto area.

Ripshaft
15th October 2004, 00:57
Well, looking into all the sources, all the promising locations are either in Toronto itself or places equally far from my current location, though with inferior transit methods. It's a shame that there's nothing too promising in Hamilton (that I've found yet at least), though I suppose that is to be expected.

I'll most likely look into the Toronto dojos soon, though I havent been able to locate some of the ones mentioned.

Kim, you mentioned: "In Toronto is Reg Hardman doing Niten, and a couple of groups doing jodo, some of the same and others doing either Muso Jikiden Eishin ryu or Muso Shinden ryu. "

Where is Muso Shinden ryu and Muso Jikiden Eishin ryu being practiced? Muso Shinden ryu, from what I've been able to find seems to be mostly true sword combat oriented, which is where I want to be right now.

Sigh, I just have one hell of a time sorting through all the information. On one hand I really want to just get out there and start practicing as fast as possible, I feel the years passing by; but at the same time, I can't afford to make a mistake with my descision where to train.

Ah well, thanks for your help though, hopefully I should be able to find a solution soon enough with your continued help

kmorgan
15th October 2004, 01:26
),Muso Shinden ryu, from what I've been able to find seems to be mostly true sword combat oriented, which is where I want to be right now.

Ummm....No.
Derek, with all do respect, since you posted your question a month ago have you attended any of the dojo's around Southern Ontario so you could see what Iaido, Jodo, Kendo and Niten really are? I know that you would be more than welcome to come out and watch a class at any time.
I don't believe you really know exactly what you're looking for, thus we can't really give you anymore information that can help you. Take a leap of faith, take a bus, mooch a ride and watch some classes, somewhere.
If you are so intent on practicing JSA, get up off your !!! and do it. If one dojo doesn't work out move on until you find one that meets your expectations..

Ben Bartlett
15th October 2004, 15:35
Well, looking into all the sources, all the promising locations are either in Toronto itself or places equally far from my current location, though with inferior transit methods. It's a shame that there's nothing too promising in Hamilton (that I've found yet at least), though I suppose that is to be expected.

I'll most likely look into the Toronto dojos soon, though I havent been able to locate some of the ones mentioned.

Kim, you mentioned: "In Toronto is Reg Hardman doing Niten, and a couple of groups doing jodo, some of the same and others doing either Muso Jikiden Eishin ryu or Muso Shinden ryu. "

Where is Muso Shinden ryu and Muso Jikiden Eishin ryu being practiced? Muso Shinden ryu, from what I've been able to find seems to be mostly true sword combat oriented, which is where I want to be right now.

Sigh, I just have one hell of a time sorting through all the information. On one hand I really want to just get out there and start practicing as fast as possible, I feel the years passing by; but at the same time, I can't afford to make a mistake with my descision where to train.

Ah well, thanks for your help though, hopefully I should be able to find a solution soon enough with your continued help
Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu (as well as the seitei gata) is practiced at the Aikido Yoshinkai Canada (http://www.aikido.ca/) (which is where I currently practice) and at the Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre (http://www.jccc.on.ca/). I don't know where Muso Shinden Ryu is practiced, but it and MJER are fairly similar. Both use mostly solo waza, whereas Hyoho Niten Ichiryu is primarily, if not entirely (I only know what I've seen at seminars ;) ), focused on paired waza. I enjoy MJER a lot (well, ok, so I mostly do seitei... but I enjoy that, too ;) ), and from the times I've seen it, Niten is very impressive stuff (and much harder to find; really, I can't see why anyone would pass up an oppurtinity to study it!). I'm with Howard... Toronto has a pretty amazing variety, so you should be able to find something that fits what you are looking for (if what you are looking for is authentic JSA, at any rate).

kmorgan
15th October 2004, 22:30
Originally posted by Ben Bartlett
Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu (as well as the seitei gata) is practiced at the Aikido Yoshinkai Canada (http://www.aikido.ca/) (which is where I currently practice) and at the Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre (http://www.jccc.on.ca/). I don't know where Muso Shinden Ryu is practiced, but it and MJER are fairly similar. Both use mostly solo waza, whereas Hyoho Niten Ichiryu is primarily, if not entirely (I only know what I've seen at seminars ;) ), focused on paired waza. I enjoy MJER a lot (well, ok, so I mostly do seitei... but I enjoy that, too ;) ), and from the times I've seen it, Niten is very impressive stuff (and much harder to find; really, I can't see why anyone would pass up an oppurtinity to study it!). I'm with Howard... Toronto has a pretty amazing variety, so you should be able to find something that fits what you are looking for (if what you are looking for is authentic JSA, at any rate).

Ben I don't think Derek knows what he's looking for. All the possible info that we can give him, we have. The dojo's that you've listed are on the CKF website, which was posted in this thread a month ago.
Like I said earlier, he needs to get off his !!! and go looking at the dojos in Southern Ontario, as no one but he will know what he really wants.

Ripshaft
16th October 2004, 02:59
Thanks for the links, Ben. Kmorgan, thank for... well guess your posts didnt really add much, but thanks for your point of view I guess. My current job keeps me extremely busy, and I honestly hardly have time to even give a good reply to these posts, let alone take 2-3 hour one way trips all around southern Ontario to explore areas that interest me. However, this is contract work, and will be done soon enough and I'll be back to a much more manageable schedule.

Beyond that however, I thought I made it clear at the beginning of this message that I simply lacked the knowledge to make a informed descision. It's like going to one of the thousands of back alley "martial arts" shops and expecting to get a top notch regimen. When I started my search, everyone was very strict in telling me there were only a handful of people at best in Toronto even that are qualified to teach Kenjutsu. Of the original people presented, most of them ended up to be Kendo, or Ninjutsu, or just some very obscure side reference to an Aikido routine. I came here to seek your knowledge and help me find people who are truly capable of teaching me what I want to know. I have some promising leads now, but I can only do so much in my current situation. I have only asked my question once, and simply built on any ambiguities surrounding responses. I thank you all for your help, and for the first time in awhile I actually think I may find something around here.

As I said before, I cannot afford to make a mistake, it's just that simple. Sorry for any misconceptions there.

Basically I dont want to spend years of my life studying only to find out my skills are only good for party tricks and horribly incorrect movie choreography, and that I'd lose my spleen in the blink of an eye in anything close to a real fight.

This is something I take very seriously and I wouldn't risk it for the world.

Blah, message is a bit convoluted, but hope the point is a bit clearer this round.

kmorgan
16th October 2004, 05:09
Derek you're simply not going to know what's what until you get out to a dojo to watch or practice.
Iaido/Kenjutsu/Kendo/Jodo whatever, are all just hobbies when it comes down to the nuts and bolts of it. This is Canada in the 21st century, you're simply not going to get into a sword fight down in Cabbagetown. If you start something and then realize three months later that you don't like it, leave. There's no blood oath needed to practice with anyone. Just show up, have a positive attitude, be respectful and practice.
You're what 20 years old? Hell I didn't start practcing till I was 34, you have lots of time. We've given you lots of reference material to good clubs with good instructors, that teach traditional JSA.
I did a interview with Kim Taylor for EJMAS earlier this year, give it a read, it might clarify somethings for you. http://ejmas.com/tin/tinframe.htm
I'll tell you what, here in Guelph we train ZNKR/MJER iaido, MSR jodo and Niten from 1-5 on Sunday afternoons, take a bus from Hamilton to Guelph and I will pick you up at the station and bring you to class.(A bus ride from Hamilton to Guelph is 30-40 minutes) After class I'll get you back to the bus station. If you like what you see come back. If you like what you see and don't like us, we'll tell you who else is doing what we do and you can go see them. If you stay with us, come when you can, once a month, a dozen times a month, whatever. We even have members who come from Hamilton three times a week, talk to them a mooch a ride if you want. Read back in this thread, there are plenty of people who would love to train around here, so train.
Can't afford to make a mistake??? Stop talking and do something.
Email/PM me if you want a ride.

John Mark Dunn
17th October 2004, 13:38
just my two cents... if you have a choice between doing some other stuff conveniently and really going out of your way and being inconvenienced just to do ni-ten-ichi-ryu , I'd suck it up and do the ni-ten-ichi-ryu ... It's good stuff, and being connected with Imai Sensei means they're on the up and up...

Kim Taylor
17th October 2004, 14:50
I've got to disagree here JM, from a couple of decades of sword swinging in several arts I've really got to say that given the choice of doing a niten class once a month and doing kendo three times a week, you go with kendo. If you practice Niten at Guelph you'll do it once a week max, and you'll see soke once a year perhaps.

If you're absolutely convinced that koryu holds some secret or special teaching... well no, you're still not any better off practicing with me because after 20 years of sword I still don't know any secrets or special unbeatable techniques. I just know that time in equals skill out. It's all about breathing (the more you do it the better you get at it).

To avoid a big post here, see the following for my arguments:

http://ejmas.com/jalt/jaltart_taylor_0301.htm (compared to smelly old diesel-powered kendo, koryu is "new and improved" to the western eye)

http://ejmas.com/pt/ptart_taylor_0802.htm (written a couple years ago but relevent to the topic at hand).

Kim.

PS the photo is of Tom Smyth from Fla. doing some tameshigiri in Toronto a while ago. No particular relevence to the discussion, unless it's another example of the things you might pick up in the CKF ;-).

Originally posted by John Mark Dunn
just my two cents... if you have a choice between doing some other stuff conveniently and really going out of your way and being inconvenienced just to do ni-ten-ichi-ryu , I'd suck it up and do the ni-ten-ichi-ryu ... It's good stuff, and being connected with Imai Sensei means they're on the up and up...

MarkF
17th October 2004, 18:33
Pardon a non-JSA point of view, but Mr. Olczak, at twenty-one years of age, if you think it is passing by now at bullet speed, wait until you are two and one-half times that age. You will not remember 21.

And, as you admit to knowing so little, why not do something more modern, if only to be doing something, which may fill in a lot of gaps inbetween that which you do know and that which you do not.

It has to be sword, but you think Kendo is "only" a competative sport not worth your time. I believe those who have posted above, those who have offered advice you did not like, have given you more than some who wouldn't even waste the time doing so, so get out and do...something.

Is there a judo or aikido dojo near you? Do that until you have the time. With any luck, you will learn something, even with the attitude you bring to the table, and possibly, you may like it. Plus, it is, well, a plus. Of Koryu, there are many headmasters who would rather you devote your time into something like that before even approaching them, and you may develop a base, body movements which would probably give you a step up, so to speak, in the movements in a kenjutsu, iai, kendo, jodo (BTW: Many judo instructors recommend learning a weapons art along with the taijutsu you are doing, mainly the jo), or anything else your heart desires.

Really, I believe you have so much information now that anything further is a waste of time until you, at the very least, visit some of those dojo recommended here, and from what little I know from others, some time with Kim Taylor, no matter what it is, would be worth it.

If you want it bad enough, you will find away to do it. If not, you probably do not want it badly enough to sacrifice your valuable time traveling which does not make you come off as a great prospective student, just the opposite.

However, show some inner-strength now and do something.

BTW: Signing your posts means just that. Sign with a first name and last name, or first initial and last name. You may still use your handle, but add your surname to your signature. It is something to which you agreed when you signed up to post here. Thank you.

Good luck in your search,

Mark

Bill Gallant
18th October 2004, 04:55

Just wondering what the foundation of your belief is??:confused:

John Mark Dunn
18th October 2004, 13:33
Just wondering what the foundation of your belief is??

Doing sports kendo in the US and Japan and doing koryu as well... and seeing Ni-ten-ichi-ryu demonstrations... I would say that, if you want tough sports where you'll learn to combatively effective, boxing far outstrips kendo... but you'll learn more from Ni-ten-ichi-ryu... probably... everyone's different... but then, I don't know the people doing it in Canada... like I said, it was just my two cents (that's 1.5 cents Canadian)...

John Mark Dunn
18th October 2004, 13:45
Oh... but I don't actually DO Ni-ten-ichi-ryu... just an opinion based on my impressions... I wish I had had a chance to do Ni-ten-ichi-ryu twenty years ago...

gendzwil
18th October 2004, 14:37
if you want tough sports where you'll learn to combatively effective, boxing far outstrips kendo...
If you want to learn to be combative effectively, sword arts in general are not where you want to be. It's something I like about them - no direct applicability to combat. Weeds out a lot of the bozos, straight off. "Is that good for self-defence?", they ask. My reply is always a straight "no". "I just want to get in better shape", they say. "Hit the gym" is my reply.

For sword-work of any sort, you have to have an interest in that art, in and of itself. Which is why I agree with Ken and Kim - just effin' try it! Do you like it? Did you think it was interesting or fun? Is the teacher someone you can respect and learn from in the long run? People ask me what's the most important thing in kendo. "Showing up for class" is my reply. They think I'm joking.

jest
18th October 2004, 16:07
Originally posted by gendzwil
If you want to learn to be combative effectively, sword arts in general are not where you want to be. It's something I like about them - no direct applicability to combat. Weeds out a lot of the bozos, straight off. "Is that good for self-defence?", they ask. My reply is always a straight "no". "I just want to get in better shape", they say. "Hit the gym" is my reply.

For sword-work of any sort, you have to have an interest in that art, in and of itself. Which is why I agree with Ken and Kim - just effin' try it! Do you like it? Did you think it was interesting or fun? Is the teacher someone you can respect and learn from in the long run? People ask me what's the most important thing in kendo. "Showing up for class" is my reply. They think I'm joking.

Excellent post, this world needs more pragmatists.

Ripshaft
18th October 2004, 23:04
Well, first things first, Ken, you've made me an offer I can't refuse. I'm still working out some of the finer details, but I should have no problem making it to Guelph for this sunday, I'll PM you shortly with the details. Gueph is by far my most promising lead, and I'd be a fool not to follow you up on that.

Next, though I may be terrible at explaining things, I'm extremely adept at understanding them. I'm not running blind into this, I know that I'll (barring some post-apocalyptic nightmare) never be put into a situation where I have to pull a sword to save my life or do much of anything other than practice, I know that the type of Kenjutsu I seek is dissapearing fast, and finding exactly what I want is not going to come easily, and most likely not anytime soon. But with the help of all of your guidance so far, I now know that my next step is to put myself into the community and learn everything I can. I think you have all helped me all you can for now, and I am greatly appreciative.

Hopefully in the years ahead I'll be one to give advice to people of my position, instead of just recieving it.

Thanks again to you all, and hope to see some of you in the fray sometime in the future.

hyaku
19th October 2004, 06:42
Well..... (Sorry Taylor Sensei) I think you should do the Kendo, Iaido, Jodo and the Niten.

Bill Gallant
19th October 2004, 08:10
Well, first things first, Ken, you've made me an offer I can't refuse. I'm still working out some of the finer details, but I should have no problem making it to Guelph for this sunday, I'll PM you shortly with the details. Gueph is by far my most promising lead, and I'd be a fool not to follow you up on that.

Next, though I may be terrible at explaining things, I'm extremely adept at understanding them. I'm not running blind into this, I know that I'll (barring some post-apocalyptic nightmare) never be put into a situation where I have to pull a sword to save my life or do much of anything other than practice, I know that the type of Kenjutsu I seek is dissapearing fast, and finding exactly what I want is not going to come easily, and most likely not anytime soon. But with the help of all of your guidance so far, I now know that my next step is to put myself into the community and learn everything I can. I think you have all helped me all you can for now, and I am greatly appreciative.

Hopefully in the years ahead I'll be one to give advice to people of my position, instead of just recieving it.

Thanks again to you all, and hope to see some of you in the fray sometime in the future.

So just let us all know how it goes..

Ripshaft
2nd November 2004, 22:36
Well, since it was asked, I'll do a little followup:

I managed to participate in a sunday class this weekend; we did an hour of niten, an hour of iai, and an hour of jodo. I arrived a little over an hour early, so I had some time to go over some of the very basics with Ken. The class was near evaluation time so we spent most of the time doing the 12 kata that would be evaluated. Naturally I couldnt quite keep up, but it was an interesting experience nonetheless and I tried to take in as much knowledge as possible. I learned alot on Sunday, regardless. I have alot more insight now into the mechanics of the sword and jo, and now know what subtleties to look for in practice.

Now of course the only problem is that I feel like I've been run over by a irresistably hot tease at a bar; I desperately want to go back there, every day any day and practice, but at the same time my transportation arrangements are almost nonexistant. The transport system to guelph... well, sucks. Ah well, I will be there next Sunday though for sure, eager to learn more, and beat the crap out of the tops of my feet. Hopefully the other Hamilton member will be there and we can arrange something better than nothing. Kind of funny though that regardless, the 2 other members that are in the Hamilton area are on the furthest reaches of town away from me haha, ah well, I'll find some way.

In the end, it's not exactly what I was looking for, but I do not think it will put me in the wrong direction, and under the knowledge and guidance I can recieve there I think I will have my best chance to find it should it exist.

Bill Gallant
3rd November 2004, 15:31
In the end, it's not exactly what I was looking for, but I do not think it will put me in the wrong direction, and under the knowledge and guidance I can recieve there I think I will have my best chance to find it should it exist.

:confused: :confused: :confused:
This may be construed as; not the girl I wanted to date, but she's good enough for now and I'll play with her, till the one I really want shows up.
Could be viewed as insulting. Hopefully not your intent, or did I just read this wrong?

FastEd
4th November 2004, 05:16

I have alot more insight now into the mechanics of the sword and jo, and now know what subtleties to look for in practice.

Wow! That must have been some class , guess I should'nt have missed it! ;)

Bill's right, if it's not what your looking for then keep searching. Don't waste our time or your time with something you are not planning to stick to. Simple as that.

Ripshaft
5th November 2004, 22:05
*grumbles* no I did not mean that in that way, sheesh. I swear everything I say here gets taken in the wrong way haha

I plan to stick with this group for quite some time, until I *need* to move on, not until I find something better (which seems highly unlikely anyways).

The most basic thing I learned there was that it really was all the same, it looked like what I had seen everywhere I went, except that the method of teaching and the level of knowledge there was much more to my liking.

But make no mistake, my loyalties lie to my pursuit of skill and experience, I've never hidden that and never will. I'm sure we'll become friends along the way, but my prime reason for being there is to learn.

FastEd
6th November 2004, 04:19
*grumbles* no I did not mean that in that way, sheesh. I swear everything I say here gets taken in the wrong way haha

Welcome to E-Budo...;)