PDA

View Full Version : Machiwara Training?

Timothy.G.B.
22nd September 2004, 00:49
In the karate that I am learning, hitting machiwara is a fundamental part of our training along with kata and cleaning the dojo floor :)

I am curious to know, from the people doing Okinawan empty handed arts, how many of you train machiwara on a regular basis? What is the main reason you train machiwara? and How do you train machiwara?

We don't have a lot of contact with other schools so I am really just interested to find out how many people still train machiwara regularly. I am not interested in debates regarding the "right" or "wrong" way to train machiwara just interested in dialogue.

Thanks in advance,
Tim Black

dsomers
22nd September 2004, 02:09
Hello , a while ago I put together a Makiwara training guide , you can ck it out on my site , if you want , just follow the links .

David Somers
www.angelfire.com/fl5/okinawagojuryu

Timothy.G.B.
22nd September 2004, 17:01
David:

Thanks for the link! Some very interesting material and very informative! I like the makiwara specs that you have included.

Tim Black

wsteigner
22nd September 2004, 19:04
Hi Tim; I`am a Okinawa Goju Ryu student. I try to use the Makiwara everyday my very best training
aid,always where i left him,ready when you are and gives great feedback. I would be lost without it.
even have one which travels with me.
David on your upcoming trip to Okinawa you will se many shapes and sizes get pictures and put them up on your site would be neat.
thank you
bill steigner

Timothy.G.B.
22nd September 2004, 19:18
Thanks for the reply Bill!

Curious about the travelling makiwara you mentioned! Can you explain a bit more about that. I am very curious!

Tim Black

wsteigner
22nd September 2004, 22:07
Hi Tim; I took an oak 2x4 cut it to 13" overall lenght,8" strike area.5" handle cut on a taper.
One side glued 3 sheets of 1/8" rubber. You can use it for all hand and fist formations,as a Maki stick for body conditioning and the 2x4 size fit
my hands for gripping as you would the jars.
you can hold it at many angles and strike it as hard as you can hold it. I made it up after a policeman ask me just what was i doing to that
telephone pole next to the motel six i was staying at.
thank you
bill steigner

Blackwood
23rd September 2004, 01:34
I train with the makiwara every time I'm in the dojo. And reguarly abuse walls, doors, and any other surface with a touch of give to it throughout the day. Cubical end panels are good. Metal, but good.