PDA

View Full Version : Moving a long way away...

Gakkousei
27th September 2004, 01:19
My wife and i are moving to Lakeport, California, which is near Middletown, where Shihan Richard Van Donk lives and conducts training. I'm most likely going to continue training under him, since he is the closest to where i will be living. Have any of you guys met or watched Van Donk? If so, what was your impression of him?

pete lohstroh
27th September 2004, 03:03
I was unaware that Mr. Van Donk had a dojo there but he does offer 2 hour private sessions for $250.

FYI...
There are lots of PCBs in Clear Lake so don't eat what you catch (unless it's a saskwatch).

kennin
27th September 2004, 05:34
Errr... what's a "PCB" please?

Or do you litteraly mean the toxins? :o

pete lohstroh
27th September 2004, 07:28
Sorry, I'll clarify...
PCB: polychlorinated biphenyl
Toxic indeed. I thought I'd give a heads-up especially if children are in the future.

My apologies to all sasquatchs for my poor spelling.

Tamdhu
27th September 2004, 15:31
I've met Richard briefly and seen him to demos and such and can say with confidence that he can 'make this stuff work'. There's clearly plenty to be learned from him, although I don't know if he has a regular dojo or not. Contact him and see.

Personally, he always strikes me as a bit full of himself, but there's no law against that and it doesn't in any way negate the fact that he has a lot of experience under his belt.

davidgibb
27th September 2004, 22:07
wow 250 for 2 hours?

Jay Bell
27th September 2004, 22:18
http://www.ninjutsu.com/van-donk-private-sessions.shtml

tenchijin2
28th September 2004, 01:02
I would make a point of attending all the seminars in the region, there are a large number of Bujinkan dojos in CA. You might find the best is not the closest.

I used to train in a dojo that was affiliated with RVD. I don't any more. He isn't someone I'd personally be interested in training with for a number of reasons, but you need to make up your own mind.

Just remember: don't be fooled by rank, or marketing, or the line of BS that a slick salesman will give you. Study very closely what makes the instructor tick, and observe his movements.

green27712
28th September 2004, 20:47
From what I understand he does mostly tours doing seminars arond the country and abroad. I too get a sense that he is full of himself. I have watched his blackbelt tapes and that's my perception. Personally, I would fear that in training with such a person that it would rub off and undo all the work I have done to overcome that aspect.

Ed Green

DWeidman
29th September 2004, 21:38
Originally posted by Jay Bell
http://www.ninjutsu.com/van-donk-private-sessions.shtml

Oh my Gd!!!! RVD never ceases to amaze me. That page is AWESOME!!!!!!!

Before I sign up though, is the price with the "*includes personal gift" a gift he gets or a gift I get?

Optimizing Yourself - 4 Hour get together
Investment is $395- * Includes a personal gift
1st hour - Fine tuning your body movement (Taijutsu Tune Up Session)
2nd hour - Building Internal Powers (Meditation / Rejuvanetics / Yoga )
3rd hour - Life Philosophy (Optimizing your Life)
4th hour- Your choice

I wonder what I would do with that 4th hour.

Well - not really. But imagine the possibilities. I wonder if he knows how to bake a cake - or change my oil filter?

*sighs*

-Daniel

msneen
29th September 2004, 22:34
[QUOTEI wonder what I would do with that 4th hour.QUOTE]

mmm... Superpowers... Which one to pick?

:cool:

Regards,

Mike Sneen

JMYoung
29th September 2004, 23:45
I think it'd be a good idea to check out every place within reasonable driving distance. There look to be a bajillion dojos in California, so take your time and find the best place for you.

msneen
30th September 2004, 00:09
Wow, Ralph, are you Polish too? I guess neither of us can figure out how to use the quote. :cool:

Mike Sneen