PDA

View Full Version : History of Isshin Ryu Kusarigama Justu

Martin Adil-Smi
29th September 2004, 14:28
Hello all,

Are there any senior exponents of Shinto Muso Ryu on here?

For an article for my instuctor, I am trying to chart the life of Nen Ami Jion, the foundation of Isshin Ryu Kusarigama Jutsu, and it's eventual subsumation into Shinto Muso.

I've tried to locate Kriegers "Way of the Stick" (as I understand it has some info, but it is out of print, and Sensei Krieger does not have any further copies for sale. The publishing house have not come back to me.

Sources are a bit scarce (I've been through Amdur and Turnbull), and any info would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

fifthchamber
7th October 2004, 05:17
Hi Martin.
Have you tried looking at the information out there on the Nen-Ryu? Maniwa or otherwise? The founder of that school was Nen Ami Jion, although I was not aware of his connection to the Isshin Ryu but the name is certainly the same if the man is the same...Try Ellis Amdur's excellent book on Koryu (Try Koryu.com for that) "Old School" for more information on Nen Ami Jion and the Maniwa Nen Ryu.
Yours.
Ben.

Martin Adil-Smi
7th October 2004, 09:33
Hi Ben,

Many thanks for your response.

I have looked into Maniwa Nen-Ryu, and have read Amdur's books with great interest.

From my research, it would appear likely that Nen Ami Jion did NOT put together Isshin Ryu Kusarigama Jutsu. What would appear to be more likely is that Tan Isshin put it together, and then creditted the lineage back to Nen Ami Jion (via a few other legendary Japanese characters) in order to give the system some additional weight.

What I am trying in particular to track down is the lineage from Tan Isshin to present day Shinto Muso Ryu. I understand that senior grades are taught Isshin Ryu Kusarigama Jutsu techniques as part of their syllabus, but I am unclear as to how exactly it was brought in. There appear to be some breaks in the history which I cannot account for.

Warmest regards

Martin

George Kohler
7th October 2004, 14:26
I am moving this to the Jo forum.