PDA

View Full Version : Interesting site

MarkF
8th November 2000, 10:04
I may move this to Bad Budo, but I thought I would see what the reaction would be to this site. Interestingly enough, it seems Mr.Kirby teaches at my old high school, where I graduated in 1967. This was a sample from the site, and thought it may be interesting.

ClICK HERE NOW to go to the Budoshin Ju-Jitsu Store and get your BJJY Membership!

http://budoshin.com/bjjy.html#BUD

Mark

efb8th
9th November 2000, 07:07
By George, I do believe I smell SNAKE OIL!!

My hair's growing back! I can feel it! Gee professor, I feel more martial already, why don't we all buy some MORE books??!!??

Look at this certificate!! I feel 25 again!

Oh HAPPY, HAPPY day!!

MarkF
9th November 2000, 11:44
Although Mr. Kirby may feel correct in the way he administers this organization, and that of the American Ju-jitsu Association, it would appear, that with appropriate fees, one may pass and receive dan ranking by video and/or audio tape. [end disclaimer]

"It is important I get to know you as a person." -- This seems to be a good thing, but this merely refers to a Q&A form sent to Mr. Kirby.

Since Jack "Zanzo Zeki" Haywood was a major influence, I think Mr. Kirby has some explaining to do. I will email him and ask him, either to post his knowledge of Mr. Zeki's California Branch: Jiu-jitsu Federation and its world and/or national champion for fifteen years, also Mr. Haywood, and explain how he would even know who is doing the techniques on the videos (extra charge) sent to him for ranking (of course, only sankyu and above) and a paper on where the "student" needs improvement, or the option to e-mail myself. Except for personal data, if any, I will post aany responses here.

As far as I can tell, there is no requirement, only a preference, that the student be tied to himself or other dojo who has paid for membership, ie, signed forms attesting to their existance, and at least, five students.

Funny, as it is strange that, with only a brief time with Jack Zeki, all this comes about, seemingly, because of Jack. Jack had an ego problem which led to sandan in Kodokan judo, to godan in his jiu-jitsu (mostly Kodokan judo kata), to hachidan in the CCJJF in a time period of less than one year.

Also interesting on Mr. Kirby's site, is that he states Mr. Haywood (Zeki) as a "kudan Hanshi (shihan, I assume would be at 10-dan)?"

From what I have learned since May, 2000, is that he retired at the age of 70, in 1980, due to poor health, and that his grade from the CCJJF was hachidan.

It would seem that Jack was graded kudan (9-dan) well after his passing, as J. Kano, while not ever claiming any rank in judo, was graded junidan (12-dan), also posthumously, by his students.

This is, by no means a vendetta, but I was told, shortly after leaving the Los Angeles Valley College dojo, that Jack announced to the class that he was promoting himself to hachidan. This student did not stay, and about ten students all told, left the dojo after this day.

Small world, isn't it? Mr. Kirby, the professor at US Grant High school (interestingly enough is right next door, literally to Valley College), but I think he said the dojo was in another location? Well, possibly none of this means anything, but it is "curiouser, and curiouser.":up:

Mark