PDA

View Full Version : Test cutting with other weapons

Bullbrand
11th October 2004, 14:04
I read somewhere about test cutting with weapons other than the sword, namely the yari and naginata. I cant recall where, but it was only mentioned and no great detail was discussed. I was just wondering if this is still practiced. Also, is it the same as sword tameshigiri or more to test the blade itself.

Just curious as usual :) :)

Regards

Soulend
11th October 2004, 14:47
All of the yari I've seen are triangular in cross-section...would be pretty hard to cut with them, I'd imagine.

Bullbrand
11th October 2004, 19:31
OK I remembered where I read it. It was an article of Obata Sensei I read at Aikidojornal. In the article he speaks of the history of tameshigiri dating back to the 12th century and the testing of the cutting and piercing capabilities of spears and swords. I would then assume, as was pointed out, that the piercing capabilities of the yari was tested and not cutting as I mistakenly wrote.

Just curious whether this practice still occurs. Also whether test cutting was ever performed with naginata and nagamaki.

I would expect that this was then testing the blade and not tameshigiri at all.

Merely curious,

Regards :)

Baio
11th October 2004, 20:03
tameshigiri is testing the blade that was the original purpose of otameshi and suemonogiri. heres an article on the term usage http://www2.una.edu/Takeuchi/DrT_Jpn_Culture_files/Nihon_to_files/Tameshi.htm