PDA

View Full Version : Yagyu ryu dojo in or around Dallas, Texas?

Etch
11th October 2004, 23:01
Greetings,

After lurking on the JSA and Aikido threads for a couple of weeks, running various searches through this site, other martial arts sites, Google, and chasing many dead ends, I figured I'd go ahead and solicit this forum for advice. Please forgive me if in my search for information I have missed something obvious.

It is commonly known in Aikido circles that while the founder, Ueshiba Morihei, based his art predominantly on Daito ryu jujitsu, that he likely had some sort of instruction in Yagyu Shinkage ryu swordsmanship. Many of the concepts taught in Aikido seem to emphasize aspects of swordsmanship (posture, footwork, tai-sabaki and "cutting" motions, especially). At some of the dojo I have practiced at through the years, some suburi and kumitachi practice is used to augment the training, and I have been drawn to this training and always wished we could do more of it. Practicing suburi alone, when I'm not quite convinced I'm even holding the bokken properly, is pretty frustrating.

After reading everything I could get my hands on that Dave Lowry has published on budo and the koryu, and considering my limited experience with swordwork in Aikido, I've decided I'm not really content with being a sword dilettante. What I would like to know is if there are any Yagyu ryu exponents, either Edo or Owari, in the Dallas, Fort Worth, or surrounding areas that would not mind being contacted in regards to training. Thanks in advance, and feel free to private message me if you feel it is appropriate.

Best Regards,
Bernard "Etch" Echiverri

Charles Mahan
12th October 2004, 04:35
I can't vouch for them, but apparently there's a YSR group in Granbury. That's as close as it gets if I'm not mistaken. There's some info on YSR and other arts available in Texas at the following link: http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34242&highlight=Texas

pgsmith
12th October 2004, 05:47
Hi Charles,
That's an interesting thread. I didn't know there was anyone teaching in Granbury. I'll have to see If I can contact the gentleman and learn a little about him.

Bernard,
The closest YSR that I knew of was Damir Jamsek in Austin.

Cheers,

will
12th October 2004, 06:02
Bernard,

Damir Jamsek's website is http://www.austinaikikai.org/

I believe Dave Lowry is a member of this forum. If his writings are your inspiration, perhaps contacting him via private message would be an avenue worth pursuit.

John Mark Dunn
12th October 2004, 09:53
no aikido sword work that I've ever seen vaugely resembles Shinkage Ryu... but blending with the opponent in order to make him do what you want sounds very much in line with the core principle of Shinkage Ryu, Katsujinken "teki no hataraki ni ojite katsu" (respond appropriately in accordance with the opponent's movements/functioning, and win)... well, it doesn't sound so close in that literal translation, but "blending" sounds close to how it actually works... but then... I no jack doodly about aikido, so I can only speak for the Shinkage ryu side...
I looked at a link for "Lake Country Martial Arts Institute" and their "su" vs."Do" thing is completely bogus... utter Hong Kong Phooey... so if that's a connection to somebody saying they're doing Shinkage Ryu... avoid it...
Damir Jamsek is connected with the Yagyu Kai... I've never seen his stuff, but I think we've sung karaoke on the same stage at a gassuku... not sure... it's a little blurry... so I can't speak for him personally, but he IS a long term student of Yagyu Sensei... is long distance...

Charles Mahan
12th October 2004, 12:16
I agree. There are certainly some red flags on this one, but it's the only place in the DFW region claiming to do YSR. Buyer beware.

Alex Dale
12th October 2004, 17:24
Hello all.

Being a student of Mr. Jamsek's, I can confirm what Mr. Dunn said. He is and has been a long-term student of Yagyu sensei's for quite some time. He has transmitted those teachings to a small group of students down here in Austin. Austin is a bit of a drive, Bernard, but if you're willing, I doubt you'd be sorry.

Mr. Dunn,

If you are living in Nagoya, you may see Mr. Jamsek sometime in the next two weeks. He's there on business for 2 weeks (for IBM) and told us he may have the opportunity to train with Yagyu sensei, at least for a short while, before he must return. He's also supposed to pick us up some hakama. :D

Thank you.

-Alex Dale

Etch
12th October 2004, 18:58
All,

Thank you very much for sharing what you have found, it is much appreciated. I have decided to contact Mr.Jamsek and see what he advises. I am also willing to speak with the Yagyu ryu practicioner in Granbury if he is willing to be contacted. If someone would be so kind as to PM his contact information to me I'll call or email him-- I tried contacting him through the website, but the email bounced.

Best Regards,
Bernard "Etch" Echiverri

mikeym
12th October 2004, 19:44
It is commonly known in Aikido circles that while the founder, Ueshiba Morihei, based his art predominantly on Daito ryu jujitsu, that he likely had some sort of instruction in Yagyu Shinkage ryu swordsmanship.

I was under the impression Ueshiba Sensei practiced Yagyu Shingan Ryu, not Yagyu Shinkage Ryu. This thread covers this topic:

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22525

There's an interesting post by Meik Skoss near the end of that thread.

- Mike

Etch
12th October 2004, 23:13
Originally posted by mikeym
I was under the impression Ueshiba Sensei practiced Yagyu Shingan Ryu, not Yagyu Shinkage Ryu.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for pointing that out, I missed that the first time I read through that thread. The other sources I've seen or heard in the past have only referred to the ryu as Yagyu ryu, which is why I assumed Yagyu Shinkage ryu. Regardless of what O-Sensei practiced though, I am still interested in the Owari and Edo Yagyu Shinkage ryu traditions. Part of this stems from what I have read about the Tenshin Shoden Katori ryu, part of my interest certainly comes from some of Mr.Lowry's essays, and much of my interest comes from reading about the life and philosophy of Yagyu Munenori and my recent introduction to the Heiho Kadensho.

I'm really endeavoring to take up the study of swordsmanship separate from my aikido training, and am really interested in classical technique and philosophy, which is why I am not currently looking for an aikiken school or kendo club. It's frustrating, because those are much easier to find it seems. In looking around through Google, I found an Edo Yagyu Shinkage ryu instructor in Clearwater, Florida. I was a little shocked to see this, as I lived in Tampa for over five years, studied at an aikido dojo there and never knew there was a Yagyu stylist right across the bay. What a lost opportunity!

Best Regards,
Bernard "Etch" Echiverri

Charles Mahan
12th October 2004, 23:21
There is Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu (Seitokai) to be had in Denton if you're interested. http://www.dentondojo.com Ray-sensei is the senior practitioner of Seitokai MJER in the US. At noon this sunday, we'll be doing an embu at this weekend's Fall Festival at the Japanese Gardens in Fort Worth. If that doesn't work out and your still interested, we have another event coming up in early November. Drop me an email for details.

Etch
13th October 2004, 19:11
Originally posted by Charles Mahan
There is Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu (Seitokai) to be had in Denton if you're interested. http://www.dentondojo.com Ray-sensei is the senior practitioner of Seitokai MJER in the US. At noon this sunday, we'll be doing an embu at this weekend's Fall Festival at the Japanese Gardens in Fort Worth. If that doesn't work out and your still interested, we have another event coming up in early November. Drop me an email for details.

Charles,

Thank you for passing that information along. I looked through the website and some of the links from the site as well. It was nice to see the lineage and history of the ryu, as well as the background of the sensei readily available. I would like to come watch the embu in Fort Worth this weekend and talk to Ray sensei or one of his students, if possible. Will you be participating in the demonstration?

Best Regards,
Bernard "Etch" Echiverri

Charles Mahan
13th October 2004, 20:08
Yes I will. I'll be the guy with the funny leather thing on his ponytail :) By all means stop by before or after the embu and say hello.

Etch
18th October 2004, 03:19
Originally posted by Charles Mahan
By all means stop by before or after the embu and say hello.

Charles,

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it to the fall festival until after 1:30, so I missed out on meeting you and observing your demonstration. I did get to see a Goju ryu style karate demonstration, and at the Suzuki garden, there was a gentleman who did a tameshigiri demonstration. I was very impressed by the karate sensei's kata demonstration. I'll be in Florida during part of November, but I'll PM you to get the details on the next iaido demonstration, just in case I am in town.

Best Regards,
Bernard "Etch" Echiverri

Charles Mahan
18th October 2004, 03:55
It's too bad we didn't manage to hookup. It was a good embu. Of course, any embu I walk away from with all my fingers still attached is a good embu in my book :) The acorns on the concrete surface we worked out on were a bit of a challenge for our bare feet, but the Fort Worth Japanese Gardens come HIGHLY recommend. Absolutely beautiful gardens.

Kamiyama
23rd October 2004, 18:40
I have not met or heard of any Yagyu ryu exponents in the DFW area.
I have been here for 28 years or so..

ralph severe, kamiyama