PDA

View Full Version : The importance of being uke

kaitenage
19th October 2004, 14:18
This is an essay I wrote a couple years ago- I thought I would share it with the members of this list.

-------------------------------------------------
The importance of being Uke

When you pair up for one-step sparring or self defense in karate, and techniques in aikido, you will take one of two roles. One of those is tori (also called nage)- the person who is being attacked, and who will be responding to that attack. Tori is also referred to as the 'giver of the technique.' The second is the uke- the attacker, who will receive the technique. (In some circles, pun intended, uke is referred to as the crash test dummy.)

Some students, particularly beginners, see tori as the one who is getting the practice, while uke is just biding their time, waiting for their chance to become tori. Why, being uke must be boring, right? This is not the right way to look at it. While tori is indeed practicing a technique (or combination,) uke is also practicing- they are practicing their attack, and their ukeme- their breakfalling technique. Uke is also in an excellent position to assist the tori on their technique, by giving feedback on how something is working, how it can be improved. Plus, think of all the exercise you get from getting up from the mat after being thrown repeatedly!

One mistake that I have seen made in both karate and aikido classes is when uke gives a bad attack. This can be a weak grip with a wrist or shoulder grab, or it might mean a punch or a kick that is done poorly, or with no intent to strike the target. Do not misunderstand- the speed (and power) of an attack should be based on the skill level of tori- an advanced student should NOT attack a beginner at full speed, with intent to strike full force. However, the attack should make contact with tori if they do not move away from, deflect, or block the attack, so they can learn proper distancing. An attack that is not committed does not allow tori to properly learn the technique, as it changes the dynamics of the situation.

A couple months ago, I spoke to an advanced karate student who was acting as uke for another student- their attack was slow, it was stopping approximately 8 inches from the target (tori,) and it was being done with no focus. Tori was becoming frustrated that the techniques were not working properly. The reason for this was the timing and distancing were incorrect. Once uke gave a committed attack for tori, things began to fall into place.

In aikido, I have spoken to students about them stopping their attacks prematurely. They were told that they needed to try to strike tori. They responded that they did not wish to hit tori- the reply was tori doesnt want to be hit either, just for them to TRY. By giving an attack that NEEDS to be responded to (a strike that stops a foot away requires no response,) they are helping tori improve their technique, which uke will receive in turn when they take the role of tori.

Another aikido student told me that I was too close when I was preparing for an attack (punch to the middle,) to which I replied that I needed to be close enough to hit him if he did not do the technique. After all, why would I attack from outside my own reach, when that would mean I wouldn't be able to hit tori?

In conclusion- the role of uke is vital for tori to learn techniques properly. In addition, uke has the opportunity to improve their attacks, their break falls, and to assist tori in improving their techniques by giving feedback. Uke must be aware of the level of their tori, and base the speed of their attack on the ability of tori- however, regardless of that level, the attack needs to be committed.

Mushin Ronin
25th October 2004, 03:00
I agree....one of the things that frustrates me so much is not having an Uke who really attacks. Of course...my techniques fail...or I start getting into the mode of trying to make them work...bad bad bad.

I think it boils down not so much as Uke not wanting to really attack because they are affaid of hurting me.....I think it's more that they are affraid of falling. It's one of the top fears of people. No one likes that feeling of being out of control. I try my best to Uke well....sometimes I am just as guilty...then there are days when I am like....don't worry...I need to learn to fall...and I really attack. It's really the only way to learn. Doesn't matter whether you are Uke or Tori.

Thanks for the writeup

kaitenage
26th October 2004, 19:20
J. Winter- thanks for the note. It looks like 124 people have viewed my post, but only you posted a reply. Which, actually, is probably a good thing. I suspect that if people had disagreed with what I wrote, they would have had no qualms in letting me know. :-)

Have a great day!

Bob

szczepan
27th October 2004, 03:04
Originally posted by kaitenage
J. Winter- thanks for the note. It looks like 124 people have viewed my post, but only you posted a reply. Which, actually, is probably a good thing. I suspect that if people had disagreed with what I wrote, they would have had no qualms in letting me know. :-)

Have a great day!

Bob
Bob,
Writing such opinions is very easy. More difficult is to educate everyone in the dojo how to attack in right way. After thath, nothing to complain about. So in some sense you are wasting you time by writing you post :p

kaitenage
27th October 2004, 12:10
Originally posted by szczepan
Bob,
Writing such opinions is very easy. More difficult is to educate everyone in the dojo how to attack in right way. After thath, nothing to complain about. So in some sense you are wasting you time by writing you post :p

Hi, Szczepan.

I wouldn't consider it a waste of time... I do agree that the goal would be to educate those in the dojo, and I do. I thought that this might help others who have noticed the same thing, whether they had been able to put it into words or not.

Thanks for the post!

Bob

vioncu
27th October 2004, 14:34
I perfectly agree with Bob. We all expect commitment and sincerity on the mat, especially from uke.
I would like to add another aspect concerning uke's sincerity: the anticipation of the fall. I had often worked with an uke who, knowing which technique I was going to do, went to the ground by himself, not waiting for me to throw him. Obvious, none of us want such an uke.
Seen from outside aikido, the lack of sincerity in both uke's attack and fall has conducted to the wrong opinion that aikido is "staged".
Definitely not a waste of time.

kaitenage
27th October 2004, 14:50
Whenever I use the word "anticipation", it brings to mind the old ketchup commercial...

Anyway, I have also seen the "anticipatory uke." And, as noted, this also is counterproductive to good technique. I think that sometimes it's a matter of uke being afraid of the pain, particularly in new students, but other times it is just the knowledge of where they are SUPPOSED to go, so they are headed that way on their own.