PDA

View Full Version : Aiki Solutions

Elliot Harris
25th October 2004, 01:52
On a previous thread, aiki term (http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=27586 ) , the point was raised that virtually any action could be “aiki” (including employment of artillery) if “aiki” principles were applied. As my exposure to aiki based arts is limited, I would like to know how some of you who have more extensive experience with aiki arts might characterize what you believe to be the differences using a specific scenario.

The intent here is to identify how you might handle a situation using an “aiki” solution versus other more familiar strategies.

Here’s the exercise: describe a scenario, and then briefly describe what you would consider to be a “go” (hard) solution/strategy, a “ju” (soft/blending) solution/strategy, and an “aiki” (pick your definition…) strategy/solution.

I’ll start.
Scenario: I am at a bar having a few drinks. Other guy doesn’t like the way I look (he thinks I am eying his girlfriend; maybe I am, but not the point). He gets in my face trying to start a fight…
“Go” solution: Maybe I recognize the center of gravity here is this guy’s vulnerable ego, either way it doesn’t matter – I will crush him. I call him an “idiot looser with $&!^ for brains,” fight ensues. I use appropriate technique from Viking jedi ryu using principles of technique based on mass, strength, speed, and more is better; I proceed to beat his behind silly. If things go well I knock him out with one blow. Then I am thrown out by the bouncers, or arrested after the bouncers have to call an ambulance on the lout. Most witnesses saw me start the fight. If I am lucky, no charges are pressed.

“Ju” solution: I realize the center of gravity here is this guy’s vulnerable ego, he is a little insecure and needs to be reassured. I tell him something like, “yes, she is beautiful and ‘you’re the man’ for it…” If necessary, I offer to buy him a beer... If it goes bad, I use the appropriate technique from jedi jujitsu ryu using principles of technique based on various forms of kuzushi (off balancing) that capitalize on positioning, timing, momentum, and leverage; I cause only as much damage as necessary to neutralize the situation before the bouncers get involved (this may mean I have to do anything from hold him securely or throw him into a table, to choke him unconscious or actually injure/break a joint). Witnesses say I was only defending myself, and ask who my master is. Probably, no charges are pressed.

“Aiki” solution: My mere presence penetrates him with awe and love, and he sees the folly of attempting to attack me. If I am lucky he offers to introduce me to his girlfriend. If it goes bad, I use secret technique from aiki jedi ryu relying on principles I cannot divulge (but as a minimum include the same principles as jedi jujitsu ryu, but have a unique penetrating flavor to it, that capitalizes on perception and harmonizing our universal energies in a way that can not be described, only felt) and without my even touching him, his energy is returned in such a way that he throws himself safely to the ground with each attempted attack until he fully appreciates how out-matched he is and learns his lesson. Then he offers to introduce me to his girlfriend. Witnesses say they saw a strange light emanating from me and I seemed to move in slow motion avoiding attacks and applying technique with the grace of angels. No charges pressed. The Police Department asks me to sign on as a Defensive Tactics instructor.

As my exposure to aiki-based arts is obviously limited, feel free to offer critique, alternate solutions, or even create your own scenario with a trio (go, ju, aiki) of proposed solutions. The point is to focus on the strategic logic of your actions/or an effective way to illustrate the differences of principle versus a hit him high then low/throw ippon sayonara/apply wristy-twisy #34 type of analysis.

Again, feel free to create your own situation and go for it. If you want to get more creative try something truly useful, like…(some suggestions: get grumpy neighbor to park his rust bucket of a car somewhere other than in front of your house, get your kids to clean their room, get your kids to eat their vegetables, get a raise, etc...).

John Connolly
25th October 2004, 19:32
I think you're in the wrong Aiki forum. The spiritual harmony and "love" aspects of Aiki are really more of an AikiDO thing...

I see your concept of "Ju" being more aligned with the ideals of most Aikijujutsuka on this forum.

There's a lot of talk about what Aiki is or isn't. But love, harmony, and magical powers usually don't enter into it.

Walker
26th October 2004, 18:51
Look out John, he might penetrate you with awe and love!

Set phasers on "aiki" and fire!

:shot:

John Connolly
26th October 2004, 19:46
Yikes!

Careful, Doug! I think children can access this forum!

:p

Nathan Scott
27th October 2004, 00:40
[Post deleted by user]

Elliot Harris
28th October 2004, 04:55
The problem with writing like this, and that none of you actually know me, is that the - what I thought to be obvious - tounge in cheek comments to add a little levity, were taken completely out of context.

Let me try to be clearer -

If we can say that there are "aiki" solutions - aside from physical technique - to tactical/strategic problems of any nature (and maybe one cannot), that would imply such a solution would be generally recognizably different than, say, a "Ju" solution.

So potential bar fight:
Go = "say that again and I'll kill ya" type of response
Ju = try to deescalate
aiki = what??? what I beleive some folks call "aiki" is how I understand "Ju," so for me I don't see it. What about the rest of you?

I posted my "definitions" of go/ju/aiki - OK well only ju really; as I said before, I thought the other stuff was obviously tongue in cheek - as a starting point for creating clarity in how you see the difference.

Why do we care: To me, while the physical technique may be the most fun, and critical to survival when things don't go the way you like, the most important part of any tactical/strategic solution is how you set the conditions for success prior to any actual fight/yelling match with the kids/law suit... So, how would you characterize that from an "aiki" perspective - assuming one could do so?

Elliot Harris
28th October 2004, 05:15
One more thing, I posted here because I was specifically NOT looking for a bunch of magical love mumbo jumbo (unless I am completely missing the whole aiki thing), and actual serious answers by folks who seem to have a broader view of the realities of conflict resolution.

I hope my last post was clearer. My first post was to illustrate my complete lact of ability to see a tangible difference, conceptually, at the pre-conflict conditions setting phase of the situation.

John Connolly
28th October 2004, 18:25
Elliot,

Many (some) folks view Aiki as a physical/psychological expression of superior skill, designed specifically to create a set of responses and dependencies in Uke.

An example, without going into detail on technique: through subtle weight shifting and pressure applied to Uke, Nage is able to lead Uke/keep Uke static/keep Uke unbalanced to effect the technique, deceptively negating a defense response from Uke or creating a defense response from Uke that puts Uke even farther into peril.

How this sort of thing would apply to your scenario could play out in many ways, depending on the intent of Nage. It's vastly hypothetical and dependent on ones moral and strategic assessment of violence.

Nathan Scott
28th October 2004, 21:07
[Post deleted by user]

Elliot Harris
31st October 2004, 02:59
When my wife does not seem to be making the same effort at harmonious sensitivity, it rubs me the wrong way! ;)

yeah, me too.

So, apply these examples to a combative situation and you have a proponent of aiki that would most likely look to draw themselves and their opponent into a less threatening, neutral situation, and once this is accomplished, redirect the aggressive energy back towards the opponent and use it to assist in dominating the situation.

Nathan, first, please call me Elliot. Ok, like you said - this all sounds similar to ju/yawara type principles (albeit when done right at a very high level of proficiency - some techniques lend themselves to this more than others - at least the way I see it).

So not using examples of physical techniques or spending pages trying to define principles; please give an example of how you would diferentiate - invent your own situation if you need to better illustrate each to show how they would be different as you see it.

So to use your example, avoid merging car technique:
go = don't actually avoid car, rear end the guy with your armored surburban (this one is tongue in cheek again...)

ju = avoid the guy, but with less than perfect harmonious timing.

aiki = smoothly avoid the transgressor (timing is critical for this)and continue on your way without incident.

(me - I just see the first ju technique as ju by a guy who is not very good yet, and the "aiki" example as ju by an experienced guy who gets it. Does that make it aiki?)

As you noted, Nathan, maybe a better example is necessary.

John, I am interested in what you said about "creating a dependancy" and how this might be unique to an "aiki" solution - could you give an example of how you would apply this to setting conditions for success in a situation - use whatever situation you need to illustrate the differences.

I ask that you include a "go" solution if only to avoid characterizing a ju solution as a go solution.

Thanks for your feedback.

Nathan Scott
2nd November 2004, 01:54
[Post deleted by user]

Elliot Harris
2nd November 2004, 13:43
Nathan,

As to the car example, don't spin your wheels - yet.

By smoothly avoid, I mean perfectly matching timing and motion as you move out of the way as though it looked rehearsed to an outsider.
Timing is critical to this - so is "feel," "awareness," which for me requires a calm and centered sense of self and my place in the world at that time. When I am anxious, or otherwise preocupied, it becomes increasingly difficult to have that kind of "feel" and timing. I hope that was not too far out there. And if that is still way off the mark, fell free to elaborate or move on to a better example.

Regardless - this is still the technique (avoid the car); it is the pre-technique I am truely interested in - how you shape your environment before having to use a technique, or to ensure you use the technique that best suits you (proactive vs. reactive), and how an "aiki" person would do that from an aiki perspective.

Thanks.

Casper Baar
11th November 2004, 21:09
Hello all,

I know very little about aiki but find it an interesting concept.
I remembered reading this e-budo thread, it has a link to a short explanation from Threadgill sensei.

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25597&highlight=aiki+threadgill

So... if I could see that someone was going to make a certain attack to a certain area and I would open up my guard to that area a bit and move back just a bit to get a more dedicated attack that I could "work with" more easily... would that be aiki?

wagnerphysed
26th November 2004, 04:08
Hey Nathan,
How about instead of swerving and just missing with your Suburban, you actually connect with the side of the other guys car so gently that you don't leave a scratch. However, you apply enough force to direct him straight into the lane he should have been in, drive off unscathed in your lane, and leave him wondering what the hell happened, all in one breath. Maybe?

Nathan Scott
27th November 2004, 00:37
[Post deleted by user]

matt little
27th November 2004, 04:19
Brian,

I'm driving an armored suburban in Iraq for a living right now, and I just thought I'd let you that your comment is exactly what I often try to accomplish over here...haven't quite got the hang of the "no scratch" part yet though...I have managed a few "no touch car throws" however...:p

aikihazen
27th November 2004, 19:51
Originally posted by Nathan Scott
Hi all,

Here is one problem I have with the majority of explanations for aiki (especially by the aikido crowd): they tend to describe commonly known and used principles that are applied under different names already. I think those with long-time experience - and in particular those with experience in more than one art - will understand what I'm saying.

For example, the idea of just "blending" is often described even within aikido as "awase". Most aikido definitions for "aiki" sound more like "awase" - what's the difference then? In older arts, the term "kokyu" is often used to describe a situation in which two opponent's are moving with appropriate timing. There are various timings and "kokyu" tactics in swordsmanship, but these are generally not referred to as aiki, and are in fact largely core to the application of effective swordsmanship in general.

Blending and harmonizing are sound and necessary skills to develop in any martial art. I know that aikido "looks" different than other martial arts, but how does the above commonly used definition of aiki qualify itself as a unique principle? What most people in aikido consider "aiki" is what others would call kokyu, ju/yawara, and/or awase.

I'm not trying to heckle my aikido colleagues, or imply that their definition of aiki (as it applies to aikido) is wrong, but it does make you wonder...

Regards,

Hi Sensei Scott,

Sorry about dropping off the face of the earth on you but I will explain in person sometime soon''' Nothing to do with our respective practice... but let's just say I have been busy with some personal stuff. As to your comments on "Aiki" they hit close to the bone but I think the reason is that most Aikido folks have yet to really experiance it. It is not much of of philosphy to us as it is a means to enter and blend with an opponent. The philosophy of blending and entering is just that. We call our Aikido the "Budo of Acceptance" (remember the book I gave you :) ) not because we are lovey dovey Aiki Harmony guys (that MAY come later LOL) but because we "accept" the attack of our opponent. Aikido has to be a Martial Art first and it's philosphy is based on "Aiki" but there are many ways to interpret this and you have had a taste of how Shoji Nishio Shihan feels about it. I hope that you will allow me to come to your class when my personal issues resolve themselves and we can continue share our experiance. Namaste'

William Hazen Nidan
Shoji Nishio Aikido

Nathan Scott
28th November 2004, 20:25
[Post deleted by user]